www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: CB750 rat bike?  (Read 4143 times)

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: CB750 rat bike?
« Reply #80 on: Nov 25, 2018, 19:38:02 »
Nice!   8)

Offline pidjones

« Reply #81 on: Nov 25, 2018, 20:50:51 »
Oh, and the charging system seemed to work fine! IR thermometer indicates it is only running on the center two cylinders. Also #3 and 4 carb float valves leaked. And after leak checking with alcohol before mounting! Just really looking forward to pulling them off again, but then it's a long winter ahead.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2018, 20:55:20 by pidjones »
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #82 on: Nov 25, 2018, 20:54:27 »
Oh, and the charging system seemed to work fine!

Thats great, I haven't been able to check mine.  ::)

Offline pidjones

« Reply #83 on: Nov 25, 2018, 21:18:09 »
Thats great, I haven't been able to check mine.  ::)
I had read so many complaints about the charging system (and mine looked awful inside the alternator cover) that after running the bowls dry I turned the fuel back on, got the DVM, fired it back up, and checked the voltage. Right after cranking, it went up to 14.7 @ ~3500 RPM and stayed above 13 at idle (headlight fuse pulled for now). I like this system so much more than the GoldWing permanent magnet with shunt regulator system.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #84 on: Nov 29, 2018, 20:42:55 »
Found a problem with the accelerator pump (o-ring too fat at bowl/carb junction) and remounted the carbs. New front cam tensioner bolt came in, so I went through adjusting and (lightly) locking it down. Ready to re-mount tank but broke the inline fuel filter I had added so will have to wait for next week to fire it up again.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #85 on: Dec 01, 2018, 12:06:45 »
This morning I did another (I hate brakes) rebuild on the 750's front calipers. They were still leaking and the bleed screw on the right leaked. After draining the system (again) and removing the right caliper, I put the bleed screw in the lathe and polished the corrosion off the tip (don't know why I didn't see it before). Disassembled the caliper and once again thoroughly cleaned the seal groove. This time, I used one of those cheap 12V Harbor Freight rotary tools (I love this thing, will buy another when it burns out) with the flimsy brass brush tool in it to clean the seal groove. Wow, that works great! Reassembled with a new seal (had reused the seal previously) and then repeated on the left caliper. Hope this finally takes care of it, because I HATE BRAKES! Have a 39cm line on order to replace the 50cm that I'd put on it that was just too long and may have been kinking. I'll wait until that comes in (supposed to be in this week) before refilling the system.

Meanwhile, the 750 goes in the corner to permit layout of the Hunley parts I hope to clear coat tomorrow after church. Forecast is for humidity <60% and temps >60F for a 5 - 6 hour period tomorrow afternoon. I'll get the shed prepped this evening so that I can make best use of the weather window without hurrying. This will be rattle-can 2K gloss over lacquer. I'll lightly wet sand the parts this afternoon, wash with Dawn, and rinse thoroughly.

Offline MandoSteve

« Reply #86 on: Dec 02, 2018, 19:53:36 »
Sounds pretty good, really. I had the same issues as you with the triple tree on my 350. There was nothing I could do to get the threads back into a working condition. Nice save, and nice work on the mountain vac test.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON