DT400 - the big-bang build: Big changes!

stroker crazy

crazy as a fox
item.JPG

A couple of packages arrived on Friday:

item.JPG

They contained this:

item.JPG

Too many parts missing or not repairable for this to be a Restoration so I'm posting in Specials. Will post the plan after some more thought.

Crazy

Re: DT400 - the big-bang build!

I bet your mailman hates ya! lol
Pics like that remind me of being a kid and opening up a model car, very cool

Mine looked like that a few times ;D

You know I love a good two stroke, and I love the DT's. I'm on board.

I'm having lots of trouble finding two critical components - oil pump and compression release.
Any DT400 parts are of interest, but without these two the project might not be able to go ahead.

There must be some still available somewhere!

Crazy

I scraped a 400 motor a few weeks back let me call the guy and see if he hauled it in yet

Crazy! We have been waiting for your post!
Looking forward to seeing this come together.

dunno if this helps.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-Oil-Pump-DT-250-360-400-1974-75-NOS-perfect-original-box-500-13101-01-/120963726520?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c29fffcb8

Thanks smv - made a bid.

Have you seen my other build in Specials - the RaZoR?

Crazy

The Plan (subject to revision!)

Engine: All seals replaced, bearings checked and replaced where necessary, new clutch plates and springs.
Crankshaft dismantled, checked and re-built.
Re-bore and new piston.

Suspension: 35mm forks from RZ Yamaha.
Monoshock replaced with adjustable, re-buildable unit.

Wheels & brakes: Spoked wheels, alloy rims.
Front brake 2LS drum, rear brake 1LS drum.

Electrics: 12volt conversion.
Asymmetric BMW GS model headlight.

Composites: Fuel tank.
Seat base (solo seat, with optional dual seat or cargo rack).
Front and rear guards (front guard mounted on fork lowers).

Miscellaneous: Flat handlebars.
Tunnel for original monoshock converted to oil reservoir.

These plans will undoubtedly be changed many times as the build unfolds. Any ideas from the DTT community welcomed!

Crazy

item.JPG

only saw the RZ now. you are mad.
but i recall you saying a 2 stroke project was due sooner or later and this is the one - very excited.
also interested in how the motogadget's M Unit goes for you. i wasn't aware that it even existed and this may well be the solution to what i was keen on avoiding.. do you know of anyone else here who has used the unit on DTT??

smv - I'm pretty sure I've seen someone with an m-Unit on DTT but I don't remember who.

Are you back in OZ? I seem to remember that you were swanning about in SEA.

Crazy

You don't need the compression release, but, you have to wear real MX boots for starting.
Don't know what to tell you about the oil pump though?
Maybe modify RD 350/400one for correct delivery amount?

crazypj - an RD/RZ modified pump is definitely a fall-back position, but the genuine thing would make life much easier!

Crazy

Yep, swapping out pump internals and shims isn't any fun except as an excercise to see if it's possible.

Items missing from The Plan:

Frame: Weld bracket for tower pin (Scott's steering stabiliser).

Composites: Airbox

This is going to be well-used:

item.JPG

JustinLonghorn said:
Swagger was using an M-Unit on his CB450 build.

cheers justin!

yeah, finished my internship in japan and flew back over a few months back. slowly rebuilding my bank roll to do some more work on the RT. About to go get her blasted then bored.. need a new piston though which is pricey.

i have a repair manual for the RT series in PDF format if you need. some spare parts lying around as well.
seat - vinyl in near mint condition. pan is rusted out and some corrosion but seems to be holding up ok.
clutch, throttle, taco and speedo cables. dirty but they were working fine before teardown.
engine guard - filthy and had to grind the loops off but it is still in good shape.
might have yamaha taco somewhere too, from memory.

let me now if any of the above helps.

unfortunately i can't give up the decomp valve as last time i tried to start without using it, my leg almost snapped in half.. no thanks

smv - thanks for the offer of parts, might need to take you up on that!
Hope to have time this coming weekend to take inventory to identify missing parts and those beyond salvation. I expect to have a long list of 'wants'.

Know what you mean by the kick-back. I've never ridden a DT400, but back in the day I owned one of Britain's best (!), a BSA B44. Single cylinder, 441cc, 9.8:1 compression (I think), and a kick more dangerous than a mule. The boot for my right foot would be totally destroyed before the left boot would be run in.
It had an exhaust valve lifter but if your technique was not perfect you would get launched into orbit. Funny thing, which I've never understood, is that it could be started cold but would not cooperate when hot!

Crazy

item.JPG

Back
Top Bottom