www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 67 BSA Spitfire "Stay Clean"  (Read 31116 times)

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 67 BSA Spitfire "Stay Clean"
« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2012, 13:38:04 »
Nice bike!  I'll be watching this one for sure.  I'd love to do a brit bike project but the donor bike would be so expensive.  Heading to England in a few weeks to do some riding with my dad, he has a couple of BSA's a Rocket Goldstar 650 and a 500 Goldstar so I'll giving them a bit of a thrashing.

Offline ProSimex

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • RUN SCREAMING!!!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 16, 2012, 11:59:23 »
We want a video god damnit!
"Love is the feelin you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."

"That's got CV's? Take a #2 phillips screwdriver, heat the tip with a torch until cherry red and plunge it into your eye. It will hurt less. Really."- Kopcicle

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #22 on: Aug 17, 2012, 05:45:56 »
I've been told that the oil probably gravity fed from the tank to the sump because it has sat so long. And draining the excess oild from the sump may take care of at least the smoking issue.
AND last night I stepped up to the 21 century and replaced the old flip phone with it's shitty video (no sound) with a Droid 4... So a video is definately in the future!
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline Dale

• [B]Moto Guzzi V50II Detailed Cafe Build Diary [/B]
« Reply #23 on: Aug 17, 2012, 10:04:44 »
Looking forward to it.

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #24 on: Aug 19, 2012, 23:05:33 »
How do I subscribe to the thread?...I want to watch this one for sure
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline Dale

• [B]Moto Guzzi V50II Detailed Cafe Build Diary [/B]
« Reply #25 on: Aug 20, 2012, 06:51:56 »
Hit NOTIFY on the top tab...or the bottom tab
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2012, 06:53:38 by Dale »

Offline SilkySmooth750

• What does "Personal Text" mean?
    • 1979 CB750 "Silky"
« Reply #26 on: Aug 20, 2012, 14:31:57 »
Congrats on your new find!  I didn't even notice you recently made this purchase.  I saw the BSA in your sig on your last post and thought, that must be new.  I am on board as well!

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #27 on: Aug 20, 2012, 21:46:23 »
Hit NOTIFY on the top tab...or the bottom tab
Got it...thanks
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline joea

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • cafe' racers
« Reply #28 on: Aug 21, 2012, 12:06:15 »
Yes wet sumping is common on British bikes with dry sump system. You can run it slowly and it will pump it all back to the tank in a few minutes if your pump is working. Open  the oil tank and watch for oil returning if not shut it off and investigate. Big problem with most bas twins is the rt hand side bushing which is usually worn so your oil pressure suffers along with proper lubrication of critical parts. Best to get a manual and use brit bike .com for questions and references...
Good luck with the new project
Joe @vcycle
Www.joesvcycle.net

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #29 on: Aug 21, 2012, 17:48:33 »
Thanks joea! I have been a member onbritbike.com since I found this bike once Swan pointed me to it. Great bunch of info there, they are actually the ones who let me know about wet sumping. I am going to be picking up their manuals on CD.
 Now the good news, I removed the sump cover and straightened out the smashed pickup screen. Drain a little more than a quart and reassembled. Even though I have read of dry sump race engines all my life, it was a little un-nerving to fire up an engine that I just INTENTIONALLY drained the crankcase on.
 But on the 5th kick she fired up and idled fine, No smoke from either exhaust and the both headers warmed up fine. I only ran it a short time then checked the oil level, it didn't drop much with some small bubbles on the dipstick. All in all I did 3 short runs and during the second pulled the oil cap while it was running and the oil seemed to be circulating.
 Shut her down, cleaned out a corner of the shop and covered her up. Figured this is a good stopping point until I source some whitworth tools and get my manuals. All in good time, plus I am knee deep in the DOHC CB750 build "Rock-It".
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5