www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 67 BSA Spitfire "Stay Clean"  (Read 31701 times)

Offline Rockers CT

• Piss Off Gits
    • Connecticut Rockers
Re: 67 BSA Spitfire "Stay Clean"
« Reply #30 on: Aug 30, 2012, 13:04:19 »
OI Mate.. when you actually start going into that A65 engine if you have any issues let me know.. there are a bunch of pitfalls with rebuilds of these old ladies.. One being that the Manuals have incorrect increments of measurement and the like.. sometimes even the Points plates are marked wrong for TDC.... so when you start let me know...

Here are some pics of my 69 A65L..

Cheers
SETH

Offline Erskine

« Reply #31 on: Aug 30, 2012, 13:28:56 »
As a fully paid up Britlander, I feel compelled to say 'jolly good' and 'carry on' ;)

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #32 on: Oct 18, 2012, 21:01:43 »
Well, here is a little update. I've been scanning the interwebz for a decent priced UK spec tank for this bike to replace the 1.7 (< 2!) gallon peanut style US version. Problem is they are scarce as hell for a used one and a new reproduction costs over $500. I just get a case of "Optical-Colonitis" (I just can't see my ass doin that).
 I started a conversation with Beachcomber and he was keeping an eye out for one in Britan. My thought process was they were standard issue there and should be more plentiful and hopefully cheaper. That led me to start watching e-bay UK. Sure enough, one came up at that I thought was a decent price.
A few more PM's to Beachcomber and he agreed, £99.95 was a good price, even for over there. A few messages to the seller and he checked the postage to here in indiana and that was an additional £61.65. That all translates to $267.57 USD total,$100 of which was shipping  :o !!! I don't know how you poor bastards across the pond buy from places here on the states on a regular basis, You have my new found respect!
Anyhow, it was still half the price of anything I have found here, so I pulled the trigger and in about a week this should be here.

Fibre glass replica tank suitable for non oil in frame BSA Triumphs
I bought this for the A65 project we are building at the moment but a change of plans means it is up for sale again.
The tank is fuel tight and leak free.
Clean condition . Light surface marks associated with normal wear and tear. This requires painting as it was stored for over 10yrs before we purchased it.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2012, 10:04:55 by Hoosier Daddy »
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #33 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:44:58 »
Well done my man !!

Just spotted one locally and the guy wants £200 for it ! You have a bargain.

Carriage IS a killer both ways. The UK mail service has recently revamped what it considers "letter mail"., a "package" and a "parcel" . Whenever I send patches or decals now to individuals - I have to state "letter", otherwise the postage is twice as much ! Depends on who I get at the post office, sometimes a jobsworth will feel the envelope and charge me for the decals / patches at the higher rate !

My pal deals in vintage guitars, and until recently it was quite profitable to buy and import from the US to refurb and sell in the UK. Until the US postal rates went through the roof !
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #34 on: Oct 19, 2012, 10:06:05 »
Beachcomber: Once again, Thanks for all your help and insight
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline SilkySmooth750

• What does "Personal Text" mean?
    • 1979 CB750 "Silky"
« Reply #35 on: Oct 19, 2012, 20:04:33 »
Excited to see the new tank in your shop!  Sounds like you got a really good deal!  Maybe you can help me stop pulling out my hair finding a tank for my build...everything seems so overpriced for an old rusty tank.  ::)

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #36 on: Oct 20, 2012, 06:46:58 »
everything seems so overpriced for an old rusty tank.  ::)
Ain't that the truth! It always seems they are either WAY overpriced or a rusted dented POS. If I run across a fair one for your '79 "K" I'll PM ya.
 Patience is about the best advice I can give. Since it seems most E-bay auctions are 9 days I check at a minimum once a week. Vary your search terms! In your case Silky I'd use  "honda tank" "gas tank" "fuel tank" "petrol tank" "CB750 tank" and always check the box that includes the description. Try not including the year because some sellers do not know there fore do not include it. Sort the results by price and shipping lowest first, and you can quickly scan up to the max amount you are willing to pay.
 This BSA tank was somewhat easier because there are very few listed at any given time. Rust isn't an issue because it's fiberglass. The term "BSA Tank" also included oil tanks, but even with those added in, there wasn't too many to scan through.

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline Autotek

• You cant put a price on awesome.
    • Autotek of Va
« Reply #37 on: Oct 29, 2012, 18:55:57 »
I didnt know you had this going on. Cool bike, right side shift, I dig it. Now we have something in common to talk about. I have my Bonne build on triumphrat.net as well but I like this forum much better, more action.
I posted this reply on the wrong page! You may have seen it. haha

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #38 on: Oct 30, 2012, 06:03:42 »
It's HERE!!! Got a card in the mailbox Saturday that I need to come pick up a package at the local post office that need a signature. Had to wait all weekend until yesterday morning. The suspence was killing me!
But I got it, unwrapped it, and to my surprise it was even better than I hoped. What looked like brushed on gray primer in the e-bay pic is actually a (shoddy) silver paint job, the shape looked close, but seeing it in real life it is EXACTLY what I was after.

At $250 total, it is the most expensive single part I've ever bought for a bike. Christ it's more than I pay for most of my bikes... but I couldn't be happier. Half the cost of a new one IF you can find it.
The filler cap is in great shape, the petcock bungs have good threads, and it's been recently coated on the inside with something black and hard (POR-15?) that looks to be a nice even coat instead of pooled at the bottom. Even with the paint runs and partial sanding, it is the most beatiful tank I've ever laid eyes on! You can bet, later today I am going to get it mounted and more pics.
  ;D  One step closer to this...

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2012, 06:06:30 by Hoosier Daddy »

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #39 on: Oct 30, 2012, 07:14:07 »
Couldn't be happier for you HD.

Knock off the $80 -$90 you'd pay for the Monza cap ON IT'S OWN and what a bargain !

I think that anti- ethyl treatment [ Black goo ] is around $70 here in the UK ! ;D
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"