Last week I brought the bike into the basement next to my desk so that she will sit there and remind me to work on her.
First job was a going to put new front brake shoes on the bike. So first thing was to loosen the cable from the lever and then then drum.
It looks like there is fraying on the brake cable. which is too long, so should be replaced anyway. The speedometer cable will also most likely get replaced when the small speedo gets ordered.
Loosen the axle clamp bolts and remove the cotter pin from the castle nut and remove the axle.
Drop the wheel out and remove the drum cover.
I cleaned all the interior surfaces and made sure everything was moving well. Hooked the springs onto the new brake shoes and got them reset. For some reason I didn't take pictures of that. I did take a comparison picture of the new shoes and the old shoes.
Hopefully it will make the bike feel less like it will coast to a stop, and actually stop.
So I put the wheel back on the bike but I didn't tighten anything down. I need to tear it down and do some modifying but have been a little worried about jumping into the project cause I feel like it might be one of those the more you take apart the more you replace.... I guess I just need to jump into it and not look back.