www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1976 CB550F "Barn Find"  (Read 20577 times)

Offline NvgtrWiggles

Re: 1976 CB550F "Barn Find"
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2012, 17:18:52 »
Aww, the windjammer is cool! Makes it look like a spaceship. Rugby players love spaceships, right?

Offline snmavridis

• Gettin my life together. One bolt. At a time.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2012, 18:17:32 »
no, we like being reckless and inflicting as much bodily harm to ourselves as possible. i can see how you could confuse the two!

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2012, 23:33:27 »
disconnected the starting motor. tried to kick it. wouldnt start. checked the battery. it was at 10.1v. Battery was dead, so i got a new one. charged it, it's at 12.8v. still wont start off the kick. engine is turning over and i hear a low rumble in the engine when i kick. im assuming next thing to check is spark plugs? whattaya say?

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2012, 23:37:01 »
Also, i took off all the fairings and baggage. looks a lot sharper now. i'll post a picture when i get a chance. the hedlight bucket was in but all the wiring is sitting in it and there isnt anything to hold the lamp in the bucket, so im just going to order a new bucket and such. also i need new turn signals. i want a minimalist look to my bike so i'll probably just get some small signals.

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2012, 11:31:59 »
Cool beans. Love the 550's.

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2012, 19:12:33 »
Here's whats up.
Problems: I got the bike to run. i even took her for a spin, which ended up in me stalling at a stop sign and pushing her back to my house. she doesnt idle for more than five seconds unless i tickle the throttle. Another thing, when i release the clutch (slowly) in first gear, with a closed throttle, its supposed to start rolling a little right? well it just stalls out. So i had the day off and started working on my bike.

progress: i adjusted the clutch cable properly, because it felt loose, and checked out the throttle cables (because they would stick and wouldnt return to closed when released) with the fuel tank off. i disconnected the cables and the throttle is free and feels smooth. so what was the issue? well upon further inspection i saw that the spring that closes the throttle on the carbs is old and rusty. so i need to replace that. now that i have the fuel tank off and drained, and since she doesnt idle, ive decided to take a look at the carbs myself to see what that hack job mechanic did. i ran into the air filter though and gots a thinkin. i want to know what the best option is regarding air filtration. i dont want pods, icbf to adjust the jets that much, and the only plus side to them ive heard is that they make your bike look cool. im looking for performance first and foremost, so idgaf what my bike looks like under my seat.

edit: my right sidecover is cracked into two and my left sidecover is cracking in the top right side :( does anyone have any good resources on how to repair these? cause i have no idea what kind of material theyre made out of. or if anyone knows where i can get replacements, that would be great too!

please feel free to weigh in your opinions. until then im removing the carbs, and going to see what i can do to them to make this thing live again.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2012, 19:17:49 by snmavridis »

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2012, 20:27:17 »
Make sure the inside of your tank is not rusted up real bad...clean carbs do no good if your tank is nasty..they will get clogged up with junk from the dirty tank.....just a thought...
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2012, 21:51:33 »
Inside of the tank, it looks great. its surprising how nice this bike is cosmetically speaking and rust-wise. but when it comes to the carbs, jesus christ... anyway on to my post

What i did today: i went down to work on the carbs. when i really took a good look at it, i realized the idle adjuster was disengaged completely. i put everything back together and adjusted the idle with the thumb screw. and whattaya know? that fixed the issue. wow. how do i miss that? now i feel like the biggest idiot. but its ok, cause she runs, the clutch works properly, and she idles well. I still need to fix the throttle though.

to do list:

Master Cylinder and brake caliper
Lights (head lamp, signals)
Wiring
throttle cables
sidecover repair

here are some pics of the bike, minus the fairing and bags. looks way better now. last picture is my putting the battery back together.

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2012, 22:17:15 »
Man, that paint looks great for something that's been sitting around for a while. Someone took decent care of it.

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2012, 22:29:25 »
thats what im saying! so on to the fun stuff, what style bars should i get? im making one big bulk order from DCC to get everything i need to complete this bike. im torn between drag bars and clip ons. i love the look of the clip ons, but i like the ergonomics of the drag bars. im not turned on by clubmans. i feel they are hit or miss.