www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1976 CB550F "Barn Find"  (Read 20582 times)

Offline Kanticoy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Mad Science!
Re: 1976 CB550F "Barn Find"
« Reply #40 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:38:48 »
The chewed up slide is probably from a stuck slide that a po pried free with a screwdriver. Be careful on that one if its chewed on the cut out side. May cause some leaning out at idle and low rpm.
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline Bert Jan

• Holy Modification Batman
    • Outsiders Netherlands
« Reply #41 on: Mar 14, 2013, 08:07:17 »
Why did you not put the UNI filters all the same on, so the words UNI are all horizontal? Would be slicker ;)
I would not be too afraid of the chucks and such. I've had waaaay worse run perfectly.

Offline snmavridis

• Gettin my life together. One bolt. At a time.
« Reply #42 on: Mar 14, 2013, 22:44:01 »
The chewed up slide is probably from a stuck slide that a po pried free with a screwdriver. Be careful on that one if its chewed on the cut out side. May cause some leaning out at idle and low rpm.

thats what i was thinking.

Why did you not put the UNI filters all the same on, so the words UNI are all horizontal? Would be slicker ;)
I would not be too afraid of the chucks and such. I've had waaaay worse run perfectly.

didnt even realize it, i was too excited haha

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #43 on: Mar 22, 2014, 18:07:04 »
Finally got a decent job and put money to the side. Here's what I've got planned to get her going by May:

Clean and synchronize the carbs again; she's been sitting for almost a year now.
Replace the petcock; I took her apart and the whole thing just shit in my hand. Worn out o rings, cracked stem. What a mess.
Gotta get a new points cover; big ol' dent in the cover, figure I'd replace it.
Replace the points, condensors, and coils; redoing the ignition system just for piece of mind. I already worked on the points before, but they're all corroded now because it's missing the cover.
Replace the front brake control, including the master cylinder; when I got her, it was all locked up. I'd rather just replace the whole damn thing.

If everything works out to my advantage, I'll have her out on the road by May. Here's to deadlines!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #44 on: Apr 10, 2014, 09:52:39 »
Anything worth doing takes time :)  It's pretty erie how similar your bike looks now to how my 1976 CB550F looked the day I bought mine about 8 years ago.  Deja vu.  My Before and After:

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2014, 09:55:37 by Tim »
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #45 on: Apr 10, 2014, 13:59:13 »
Cleaned her up pretty good, eh?

Offline MotorbikeBruno

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Carb cleaning in MN
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2016, 15:34:41 »
I know it's been a while, but I've got a 77' 550 F that need some putting back together (PO completely disassembled the ENTIRE THING including motor....) anyways. Where are you at with the beast?  Tim, your 550 is beautiful, the stock can is amazing! Mine's missing :( 

Hope all has gone well, glad I found this one so I can get jealous and start working on my pile of parts...  ;)

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2016, 15:52:52 »
Oh god here we go... I've been planning on updating this thread but havent gotten around to it.

Cliff's notes:

Wouldn't start, checked points.
Points weren't working properly with the test light.
Stopped working on it due to moving, leaving school, crossed state borders.
Just got her back after over a year.
Just bought wire to redo the harness.
Tested the coils on a whim.
Found my sparkplug boots are toast.
Kicking myself in the ass for doing too much unnecessary crap just to get her running.

So that's where I'm at.

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2016, 15:53:38 »

Offline snmavridis

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2016, 15:54:24 »
How she sits in the new workshop (apartment garage) woo hoo!