Before you wrap the pipes...
1. Clean them very well. This includes removing any and all rust.
2. Coat the pipes with high temp header paint. Color doesn't matter, just coat and bake on before wrapping. If not, your pipes will just rust away under tje wrap.
3. Make sure you soak the wrap in warm water before trying to use it. Dry wrap doesn't form the the shape of the pipes.
4. Wrap the pipe from the muffler end back to the motor. That way the wrap overlaps itself correctly (the "flaps" face the rear of the bIke), and wind won't be pulling the wrap apart.
5. Use high grade stainless bands to hold the wrap in place.
6. Once your pipes are wrapped, get them on the bike and ride as much as possible as soon as possible. They retain a good bit of moisture and need to be dried out. They'll smoke and smell awful until you get all of that water out.
7. Get ready for all the armchair pro bike builders to tell you how "gay" and "ugly" pipe wrap is. Than promptly tell them to fuck off. Its your bike. Do what you will. Just have fun.