SEPTEMBER 2012 DO THE TON BIKE OF THE MONTH - WINNER!

Vote!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Vote dammit!

As always nominees, post up your stories and glamour shots here. If you want the photo in the poll updated just shoot me a PM with the link to the pic you want.

If I've screwed something up, missed a bike etc. shoot me a PM and I'll sort it out.

Re: SEPTEMBER 2012 DO THE TON BIKE OF THE MONTH - VOTING

that honducati looks so fast and capable I freakin love it.

SEPTEMBER 2012 DO THE TON BIKE OF THE MONTH - VOTING

honducati

So this was my first motorcycle build. It started with my friends scrap company, and the 77 cb750 I found in one of his dumpsters. I've seen some cool cafe bikes at Daytona every year and have always wanted one. Working in my family hydraulic/ machine/ welding shop has given me a pretty good knowledge of design and fabrication.

My goal was to build a bike using parts I had found or had in my garage. Building after work and on the weekends this was the result of about 4 1/2months. I also wanted to keep it under a $1000. (which it ended up about $950)

Some high lights
92 gpx600 alum swingarm modified with a built in 3quart oil tank. Also added rear shock mounts for the duel shocks.
Rear half of the frame was remade with .095 seamless.
Custom frame splice. Had a bitch of a time getting motor in and out.... This fixes that.
92 gpx600 anti dive forks...and triple trees, had to cut the cb stem out of the stock triples and press/weld them into the gpxs. I used these because they are better than stock... And I really liked the aluminum brace/fender
Custom air box setup. Didn't like the pod look so made an aluminum cover, tried to make it look like the triumph setup. The choke setup is a mix of bicycle parts and a brass handle from a camlock hose fitting.
I have a brakequip machine so I made all custom brake lines and also oil feed lines to the tank. The brakes use new style masters from a 636
The tank is a spare Ducati 748 tank I had on the shelf.... The stock tank has a flat bottom so I had to use just the shell and make a tunnel for it.
I love the look of race bikes with the vent tube so I brazed on one of them.
The exhaust is a mix of danmoto parts and some tweaked Vance and Hines.
Never used a sewing machine but ended up make my own seat.
Paint was done by latches auto and I, it's BMW alpine white, hotrod red and black. All graphics are painted except for the retro Ducati wing(w/Honda in chevey belair script)
06 Gsxr rearsets
Electrical was redone.... Rectifier from a zx 636, new adjustable voltage reg from Oregon motorcycle parts. Lithium ion battery. Used 4.5ohm coils. Bike is kick only, and it has an on toggle, light toggle, and a oil light..... That's it!
Tons of other little things, found an old yellowing oil pressure gauge.... I liked it so I used it. In the end I saved a motorcycle from destruction and I think made something different/cool.

d1698f96-37cb-0d0c.jpg
d1698f96-37d9-70a3.jpg
d1698f96-37e6-b564.jpg
d1698f96-37f9-5e6d.jpg
d1698f96-3817-c3be.jpg
d1698f96-382f-23cd.jpg
d1698f96-3854-a395.jpg
d1698f96-3860-fa8f.jpg
d1698f96-3873-318c.jpg
d1698f96-3881-badf.jpg
d1698f96-389c-99e5.jpg
d1698f96-38b2-8eb1.jpg
d1698f96-38c9-0b77.jpg

Very tough call. Gonna have to vote for who put the most work into the bike though.

When you look up beauty in the dictionary, there is a picture of that 360 Scrambler.

Man i love that suzuki but my heart belongs to the yamaha

Excellent bikes as usual but I voted for the one I nominated, obviously.

GODDAMIT! Too many nice bikes on this forum! I'll hafta sleep on this one, i'd hate to make an uneducated decision.....

here goes. for what its worth, i posted a before and after pic more as a joke. just to see how far this bike has come in the last several months. thanks to those who nominated the bike.

so i know this site is all about "built not bought" well i dont have that luxury. my skills are elsewhere, and my time is locked up in work. but that doesn't mean i cant or dont appreciate the work of others, including what you guys come up with in your own shops. truly some awesome bikes around here. in all honesty, im in awe of people's ability to create. my bike may be bought, but it was forged by the hands of one man who lives breaths eats and sleeps classic english bikes.

jay from choppahead ( shamelss plug for the shop http://choppahead.com/) has poured his heart and soul into a build far outside of the normal bobbers and choppers he builds. it took years of me building buying and selling cars to realize i needed a bike in my life.i have had this bike pictured in my head for 3 years now. when i found choppahead, and jay i knew immediately that i found the guy who saw my vision better than i did. hell he had the BSA from for over a decade, waiting for the right project. ive already received PMs asking how i got the tank.. jay had it all along. hes like a hoarder of all things British bikes.

i can go on for days about the build. the ridiculous amount of effort and engineering that went into grafting a BSA frame, triumph motor (fully rebuilt and bored out .060) the honda front forks, or honda swingarm... custom designed rear suspension by works performance.. the hand beaten cowl and seat pan. hell even the leather i sourced from a tannery in northern maine has a story to tell.

this bike is class, raw, and im in awe of it. i may have bought it. but the hands of a true fucking craftsman built it.

4c137799-51e9-5b7f.jpg

4c137799-51f3-d89d.jpg

wow i dont stand a chance against the honducati and the triumph...but its cool to be a part of this! ill get my pictures up later

Yeah the honducati is pretty done to the tits. I really thought you're bike was aewsome though dude. You put a lot of work into it. I followed your build thread and aspired to do mine that well. You belong here.

Thanks man, I really did my best with it. I wish I had the knowlegde and the skill these other guys had. Anyway. I really am honored to have made it this far. thanks for the kind words.

I wasn't even looking for a new project when I stumbled across this GS. PO was trying to sell it for $800 and had no takers so he was gonna call the local scrap metal guy to come pick it up. I offered $400 and he handed over the keys. I was looking to do a quick n dirty, super cheap runner I could still be proud parking at the local spots. Three weeks and $1600 (including the bike) later, had gone from this:

day1_2.jpg

To this:
index.php

index.php

Coming up on 2500 miles since the build was "finished". Enjoyed every one.

ffaspector said:
Three weeks and $1600 (including the bike) later.....

The fact that this was just a 3 week project should earn you some sort of award.

For me it came down to the Honducati and the Triumph. Both look great and I can appreciate the work that went in to each, but the thing that made the difference to me was the wheels. I'd go with spokes over alloys any day. Just my opinion.

barnabasantioch said:
The fact that this was just a 3 week project should earn you some sort of award.

The reward is in riding it. We've all got these season-long projects that always seem to take a little longer than anticipated. I was just happy to get in the saddle so quickly after the purchase. The nomination is just gravy.

Well the short story behind the DS7 is that she was languishing away in a friends shed for nearly a decade before I got her. He got her as a package deal parts bike with an RD350. He said it was sitting in that previous owners shed for nearly a decade as well. When I got her, I had neither the time or money to play with her, so she got tucked away under my carport for almost 5 years. The intention was always to make her into a Cafe Racer. And she came out almost exactly as I had envisioned from the start.
She's been in the same basic configuration since her "completion" in late '09. A few updates here and there, but mostly I've just been riding/enjoying her. I have plans to pull here down this winter, where she'll get some engine upgrades and some cosmetic changes that'll move her a little closer to "Racer" than "Cafe".

Now for some gratuitous pics...

This was "Day One".
DSCF0001.jpg

And this is probably the most recent pic. Taken after a Sunday ride.
utf-8BSU1BRzA2NDQuanBn.jpg

She's seen some tracktime too.
576287931_2DBHN-O.jpg

576298189_tUiCz-O.jpg

We even made it into the local newspaper.
0117000757.jpg

Hey look, she's Dennis Gage approved!
utf-8BSU1BRzAyMTguanBn.jpg

Some "Glamour Shots" from around New Orleans.
Lake Pontchartrain, the nations largest inland saltwater lake.
ds7_lakefront016.jpg

Metairie Cemetary was on of the first cemetaries in New Orleans c.mid 1800's.
(for those that don't know, the dead are not "buried" in NOLA. It's tombs and mausileums known as "The Cities of the Dead". The water table is so high here that you can't dig more than a few feet down before the hole starts to fill with water)
013a.jpg

Destrahan Plantaion c.1787
001.jpg

Ormond Plantation c.1789
007.jpg

Ruins of Fort St. John c.early 1800's
028.jpg

The remains of the old Audubon Zoo. c.early 1900's
audubonpark022.jpg

Cafe du Monde est. 1862
DSC00339.jpg

Now how about some "pinup"?
Hooter Girls are easy... to talk into posing with your bike.
utf-8BSU1BRzAzNTYuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAzODcuanBn-1.jpg

splatrace039.jpg

013.jpg

Other girls have been obliging too.
IMG0712-XL-1.jpg

IMG0770-XL.jpg

splatrace020.jpg

splatrace049.jpg

HDcrawfest050a.jpg

HDcrawfest041-1.jpg

Well I think I've pic whored enough.
My DS7 is up against some stiff competition, and I don't really expect to win. But if I do... I'll post the rest of the girl/bike pics I have ;) :p :D

Back
Top Bottom