www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: What happened to 2strokeworld??  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
Re: What happened to 2strokeworld??
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 15:07:27 »
Transfers always suck in my opinion. Reminds me why I never wanted to be dentist.
Sav0r the adventure.

Visit www.chrislivengood.net to get more information on my RD350 dubbed Mia Wallace as well as my other projects and snafus.

Instagram

Offline 2_strokin

• 2stroke Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 09:41:07 »
Just made an account here as a backup since 2strokeworld is down... anyone have any info on when it'll be back up and running?
75 Yamaha RD350
02 Honda CR125

Offline BigAl8295

• Charm City Mods vs Rockers Show
« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2018, 16:52:18 »
It's back up.  I was on it today.
1999 Triumph Legend
1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1969 Bridgestone 175DT Vintage Racer
1972 Honda CL175 Vintage Racer

USCRA #187

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2018, 10:38:59 »
More importantly, what happened to www.MotorcycleRoads.us? Aside from the maps and more extensive database of roads on bestbikingroads.com, www.MotorcycleRoads.us was the other most useful tool for finding twisty roads to ride our modified sporty vintage machines on due to the user feedback comments available... I'm really bummed about this. It's really useful to look at the comments over several years to monitor the pavement conditions and other issues, as well as general feedback from riders, for instance if a sport bike rider says it's twisty versus a Harley rider saying it's twisty... Lots of info that was highly useful was contained in those reviews.

'77 GS750 920cc, 4-1, GS1100E swinger, 18" Sun rims, Fox Factory Shox, twinpot dual disc, CR31, Yosh cams
'74 Rickman VR250MX
'99 Kawasaki KDX220 rugged terrain ripper
PROJECTS:
'77 Suzuki PE250B
"Pure Enduro" trail beast, ported, Wiseco, TŁBliss, Fox Factory Shox/RaceTech
'76 Rickman CR GS1000-1120cc roadracer, Yosh cams&4-1, RF900R fork, Works piggybacks
'79 GS425 489cc Formula 500 racer, Tempter cams, GS650 forks, twinpot brakes, DID rims, GS1100E swinger, Fox Factory Shox
'77 GS550's 650-740cc susp&brake mods

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2018, 10:50:51 »
More importantly, what happened to www.MotorcycleRoads.us? Aside from the maps and more extensive database of roads on bestbikingroads.com, www.MotorcycleRoads.us was the other most useful tool for finding twisty roads to ride our modified sporty vintage machines on due to the user feedback comments available... I'm really bummed about this. It's really useful to look at the comments over several years to monitor the pavement conditions and other issues, as well as general feedback from riders, for instance if a sport bike rider says it's twisty versus a Harley rider saying it's twisty... Lots of info that was highly useful was contained in those reviews.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2018, 15:41:05 »
This is becoming more of a glaring problem across the internet.  Many active user forum sites are full of good information but they are running on an outdated, unsupported software ( that was fine 10 + years ago...)   You have admins that are struggling to keep up and keep things patched and working on a site that people depend on.  Then, what about migrating to a new, better supported platform?  Is the admin good enough to keep all that info from being lost when moving the site?  Do they really make the best choices or the easiest ones?   Drives me nuts to see good sites fall down because of their admins.    This forum is running on good software but so many others are not.   

--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Online J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2018, 16:28:55 »
I'd assume some of that has to do with cost.

There has to be a lot of data flowing through a forum such as this one.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 2018, 16:54:58 »
I'd assume some of that has to do with cost.
There has to be a lot of data flowing through a forum such as this one.

There are paid software setups for hosting forums but some of the very best forum software options are still free and still well supported.   Simple Machines Forum, like DoTheTon runs on (and SOHC4 for instance)  is free.  Hosting it somewhere costs money and that's why Tim has setup member donation options to cover his costs.    Web hosting has gotten very competitive and the costs have come down substantially from what they were several years ago but it still costs real money to keep a high traffic site online.    Tim deserves kudos that he has figured out how to do this without blanketing the site with external advertising networks and clickbait page footers.    The sites that do so are ugly, slow, very frustrating to view, generally low content value so I tend to avoid them whenever possible.   I believe you can tell alot about the quality and commitment to the site by the quality and type advertising they use. 
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018, 16:57:53 by canyoncarver »
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 2018, 17:22:17 »
I think a lot of it has to do with the aging forum base as well.

Admins are less and less inclined to keep up with the new software as it changes, and what I'm finding is a lot of the younger folks don't even bother with forums anymore they just do facebook.
Hell I even see it here, a lot of our long time members are not active anymore, instead they just post their bike photos and questions on facebook.

As much as I hate to say it I think forums are dying, and with that we're going to lose immeasurable knowledge and content.
And facebook is so poorly setup as a replacement that it's never going to take it's place.

On the GMC motorhome forum I frequent there are less and less users every day as the GMC motorhome facebook group gets bigger and bigger. The problem is the facebook group is not setup in a way so that you can learn anything, it's just a bunch of photos and comments with no real structure.

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018, 17:24:12 by SONIC. »

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
« Reply #19 on: Jun 13, 2018, 18:25:59 »
With 2sworld the owners card got stolen and it took him a while to sort it out.

I agree though that there is lots of old software and that to an extent forums are dying. Facebook was a net loss for the internet. Reddit on the other hand, if they donít mess it up (they are trying), is a gold mine as itís basically a forum.
Sav0r the adventure.

Visit www.chrislivengood.net to get more information on my RD350 dubbed Mia Wallace as well as my other projects and snafus.

Instagram