www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.luxmachineinc.com/

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1982 CB750C Cafe Build  (Read 1104 times)

Offline smokinpol

1982 CB750C Cafe Build
« on: Mar 30, 2015, 02:04:42 »
Hey guys, i have been here for a while lurking and using the resources available. After seeing many inspiring build posts, i have decided to share my progress with you. I am getting close to completing the build, but ill post the progress chronologically from the beginning.

In late February 2014 I found a 82 CB750 on CL a couple of hours away and went to check it out. The bike rode fine, it had a couple quirks with the kill switch, horn, and ignition. The price was right and I bought it on March 3 2014.

After getting home and doing some research i realized that the DOHC and specifically the Custom model was more difficult to "cafe" then the SOHC bikes.  Either way i was up for the challenge.
I'm currently working on my degree and finishing our house. With time being limited my initial goal for the bike was to do a mild tear down, change the seat and ride it for the summer. That goal didn't last long.

The custom tank didnt suit what i had in mind and i really liked the look of Benjis tanks, i changed my mind after reading some reviews. I liked the looks of F/K tanks and I found a F tank off an 81 on ebay and bought it. The tank was significantly larger so i planned on fabricating a new mount. This is where i decided to do a full teardown and rebuild it from the ground up.

I ordered a loop and seat from Benji. Detabbed the frame and welded the loop.

I found a 82 super sport at a vintage cycle yard in Boise ID. Ended up getting the tank mount and some 37mm forks.

I was going to mount my turn signals directly behind the shock mounts.

Luckily my grinding skills are better than my welding skills. I was happy with my result. My recently acquired forks are in the background.

Ill post some more stuff soon.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2015, 10:15:03 by smokinpol »

Offline bombsightcycles

• Site Supporter
Re: 1982 CB750 Custom Cafe Build
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2015, 02:38:07 »
yes...please do...I have 2 1980 CB750F Super Sports...one restored...and one going cafe...someday...
esse quam videri

Offline smokinpol

Re: 1982 CB750C Cafe Build
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2015, 03:25:34 »
I was concerned that i had removed too much metal when i cut out the old,tank mount. I decided to use reinforce those areas with some 1.25" tubing.

The turn signal i ordered were too large to fit behind the shocks. I used some round rod to move them a little further back. Tapped it and bolted them up.

The engine needed a valve adjustment and to be repainted. One of the exhaust studs was broken and i was unable to extract it.  Took the head off to have a machine shop do it and inspect the head. 
The pistons had some carbon buildup.

The head came back clean and flow tested well. Did some cleaning on the block and pistons.

Reinstalled the head with a new cometic gasket.

Offline smokinpol

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2015, 03:28:01 »
Ill post more tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2015, 04:22:07 by smokinpol »

Offline Tune-A-Fish

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:31:55 »
Were not all purists... I liked the bike in stock form and would like one like that to have as a short run tour bike, but it looks like you might just pull this off for a nice "cafe" inspired sport bike... plans for suspension?

Logged in

RD :o
A job well done is not necessarily a job done well.

Current build
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64191.0

Offline smokinpol

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:09:19 »
I installed progressive suspension fork springs up front and P.S. 12 series shocks/springs.
I didn't mind the bike in stock form, it rode well. Just wanted a different look.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2015, 10:12:11 by smokinpol »

Offline Freb_mc

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2015, 13:06:34 »
Following. I am doing something similar with an 82 750c as well, currently it is running and riding just fine in stock form so I am still in the planning stage, and accumulating parts. But your build is looking good so far! Keep it up and post some more updates soon.

Offline SilkySmooth750

• What does "Personal Text" mean?
    • 1979 CB750 "Silky"
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2015, 16:20:19 »
I'm on board!  Looking good so far.  What do you think of the Benji seat?