www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.abelbrown.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: "Lizzy" CB350 build  (Read 284 times)

Offline preachswanson

"Lizzy" CB350 build
« on: Feb 24, 2015, 12:42:24 »
Greetings all... I am making my entrance into the world of cafe builds after spending my motorcycle time on dirt bikes and the venerable KLR650.  I have just acquired my first CB350(G) a 1973 and this will be my second Honda road bike (CX500 Custom 79') I am starting off with a basic tune-up, changing all the cables, new mirrors, basic electrical system tune up and going through the carbs... For this coming riding season I hope to only get the bike in solid riding order and to clean up some of the metal work.  After we make it through this summer I will hope to disassemble the entire bike and really build it out cafe style. 

I'm posting a picture of what I am starting with and as with any good forum, your thoughts, ideas and cantankerous thoughts are welcome!

Preach

Offline JustinLonghorn

• Site Supporter
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
Re: "Lizzy" CB350 build
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2015, 13:20:35 »
Good plan, and welcome to the fray.
"Art is never finished, it is only abandoned."

"Motorcycles do not define a person's character." -BigRich

My Dearest Darling -Sold

CB400F

Offline settintrendz

• Adam Berg
    • SettinTrendz
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2015, 13:31:13 »
Great looking CB. Really clean. Should be a fun project.

Offline coyote13

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2015, 18:21:55 »
Gotta love a new guy that understands: basic needs first!

Welcome aboard, looking forward to your progress
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline preachswanson

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2015, 20:40:43 »
I'm new here but I have built up that KLR for major use and done a full build on a 1931 Ford Model A, back to stock.

I did the cables already and I am looking into an electrical issue with the left turn signals. Should be a grounding issue.

I love making something look good but there is nothing I dislike more than seeing a car/bike/whatever that had all the money go toward looks and it can't even start, let alone kick tail.

If any has some common issue things I should look at right away, let me know, if not then I'll keep this updated and post pics along the way.

Offline KICKRacing

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2015, 21:03:41 »
That is a beautiful color. Nice bike, I would think twice about tearing it down, it looks like its good to go. Just needs some polish and enjoy it. It looks great as it is.

Offline preachswanson

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:03:37 »
For this year it is largely going to be a polish and go year.  I don't expect to have the funds to do more than make sure she is mechanically solid as can be and polish her up.  I am dumping most my fun money this year into my triathlon bike (it honestly cost way more than this bike will when finished  ::)

I am not sold on changing the tank color as it is pretty clean.  I do know I want to do some more track style bars on it.  I have to replace the gauges, I tore them open and they are broke up inside.  I have not found someone who sells the guts so I am looking at the basic chrome ones with black faces from Dime City.  I put all the cables on it now... I replaced the points and condenser last night.  The rest of the electrical looks solid overall, again outside of a grounding issue on the left turn signal.  I know it has to be a loose wire because I can get it to work with the bars turned one direction but not the other, shouldn't be hard to track down and fix.  I am cleaning up the metal right now to see how bad things are in different areas, overall it looks solid.

I don't mind carb work so I'll throw the question of what you all like to do with yours, I know I'll have to at least adjust some as I am going to put UNI pods on for now because the filters were stock and shot and I am sure that I will need to look at the tune once I do that.

Preach

Offline preachswanson

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 13:13:02 »
Uni filter pods installed with original covers back on.

New Tac & Speedo installed, I am looking into led indicators for neutral and turn lamps

Oil changed + filter

New clutch lever as the old one was broken

New mirrors attached in bar ends

... More to come

Offline KICKRacing

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2015, 01:49:08 »
Uni's are great, they look good because they blend in well and are unnoticable. A slight tune only is needed.
You can buy non led signals and replace the bulbs with leds. You need to put a led flasher indicator in your guage cluster though. Along with a led flasher relay.

Look into the shorty "GP" style levers, they are very comfy. Stock levers hurt my hands. The GP levers are wider and work better.
A dab of silicone in the bar end where the mirror goes works good to prevent it from rattling loose and seems to dampen the vibrations.