Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: "Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe racer with woodgrain paint  (Read 12024 times)

Offline FGKouki

Re: "Woody" a '75 cb750k cafe brat
« Reply #45 on: Oct 30, 2012, 20:28:45 »
What tail light is that?  Integrated turns I assume?  Looks awesome!

I'm using your headlight as an inspiration!  I want to get maybe a Mini H1 projector and figure out a housing for it, maybe custom machined or retrofitted into an old housing.

Yeah, I was looking at the hella 90mm housings as good donors to do a retrofit into as well- maybe something to look into?  Minih1 is more than adequate for a bike too, but I would do an e55 or TL projector or something if space allows.  I did a mini h1 retrofit for a scooter owned by a buddy of mine and it turned out really nice, great width and visibility at night.  Oh the taillight is from an 07-08 zx6 with integrated signals, although I won't be using them.  There's a duc monster taillight that is similar too

Nice fix on the fuses. Heat Shrink?

Thanks.  I popped a 3 fuse row/cluster out of a nissan fusebox and de-pinned it and crimped the pins onto the leads from the old fuse holder, added some solder on there to be sure the contacts were healthy as well.  I will probably epoxy some little brackets on the side to mount it.  It's just electrical taped over to keep it tidy.  I didn't have any sleeving on hand. 
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2012, 20:32:01 by FGKouki »

Offline Jonny_C

« Reply #46 on: Oct 31, 2012, 01:31:00 »
Yeah, I was looking at the hella 90mm housings as good donors to do a retrofit into as well- maybe something to look into?  Minih1 is more than adequate for a bike too, but I would do an e55 or TL projector or something if space allows.  I did a mini h1 retrofit for a scooter owned by a buddy of mine and it turned out really nice, great width and visibility at night.  Oh the taillight is from an 07-08 zx6 with integrated signals, although I won't be using them.  There's a duc monster taillight that is similar too

Yeah, I picked up a Ducati Monster taillight, and it's great.  I was just impressed with how much smaller that ZX6 one is.

I've been spending a lot of time looking into those Hella 90mm housings because they are sealed, especially the halogen low beam H9 because it's cheaper (~$60).  Can still swap in an HID.  I was just thinking Mini H1 or FX-R just because they are bi-xenon, otherwise I'll have to do without high beams.  We'll see, have a lot of work to do before I can even think about lighting.
1983 Suzuki GS650G

Offline juan@crqcycles

• Not a lot of cafe's down here in Mexico...
    • CRQ Cycles
« Reply #47 on: Oct 31, 2012, 01:50:47 »
I actually like the look of it with the shitty paint job. Looks brutal and agressive!

Thanks crq,  I'm really looking forward to painting this thing so it's less janky looking next to the 240. 

Offline FGKouki

« Reply #48 on: Oct 31, 2012, 02:27:36 »
Yeah, I picked up a Ducati Monster taillight, and it's great.  I was just impressed with how much smaller that ZX6 one is.

I've been spending a lot of time looking into those Hella 90mm housings because they are sealed, especially the halogen low beam H9 because it's cheaper (~$60).  Can still swap in an HID.  I was just thinking Mini H1 or FX-R just because they are bi-xenon, otherwise I'll have to do without high beams.  We'll see, have a lot of work to do before I can even think about lighting.

I'd like to see how it pans out if you do end up doing that keep me in the loop! 

I actually like the look of it with the shitty paint job. Looks brutal and agressive!

Oh man, I think it's just awful and tacky looking.  I say leave the flat paintjob to stealh bombers and the batmobile!  I have something extremely unique planned for paint though, I'm waiting to do it totally last because I'm looking forward to it so much.   

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• Earache my eye...
« Reply #49 on: Oct 31, 2012, 06:12:25 »
I'm waiting to do it totally last because I'm looking forward to it so
much.   

Ha-Ha! wish I could do that.
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline ISMarco

« Reply #50 on: Nov 05, 2012, 12:10:33 »
This is kewl.

Offline FGKouki

« Reply #51 on: Nov 07, 2012, 00:09:54 »
:)  Hey Marco. 

Front end is apart to replace the forks (original upper tubes are bent), front tire, and brake pads.  I'm taking some time to do clean up other parts and repaint or polish them while they're off. 

got a set of cb550 forks in good shape.  The design is a tad different than the 750s in the upper and lower tube lengths but they should bolt right on and with the brak bracket as well.  Spent some time with them on the buffing wheel to get them super polished.

Sandblasted my caliper then hit it with some primer, silver base, and clear.  Turned out real nice.  I polished up the caliper bracket a bit too. 

I put a new tire and tube are on the front wheel and painted it gloss black to match the rear.  It was dark outside so I don't have a finished photo, but it looks great!  I should have everything back together tomorrow! 

Offline FGKouki

« Reply #52 on: Nov 07, 2012, 22:20:02 »
The black wheel and all the freshly cleaned up parts helps make everything way less shitty!  The shocks have great compression and it rides great compared to before.  Unfortunately it got dark early again so I don't have pics with the tank, headlight, and seat on the bike. 

I need to source some k0-k6 pads too.  I ordered 77-78k pads accidentally and they won't work.  Finding a bleed nipple at the auto parts store was a failure as well, so I need to find that too.     

Offline ISMarco

« Reply #53 on: Nov 08, 2012, 02:33:46 »
lower and blacker = cooler  8)

Offline juan@crqcycles

• Not a lot of cafe's down here in Mexico...
    • CRQ Cycles
« Reply #54 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:46:32 »
Black rims look way sexier! How did you paint over chrome?

Offline FGKouki

« Reply #55 on: Nov 08, 2012, 14:52:09 »
I scuffed it up with 320 grit and cleaned it really well, then hit it with por15 AP-120 (metal prep), let it soak, rinsed and dried it.  I just rattle canned it with engine enamel after that.  Adhesion to chrome is tricky so hopefully this holds up. 

Offline FGKouki

« Reply #56 on: Nov 08, 2012, 15:44:05 »

I think I need to mount the speedo lower or go with a mini speedo. 
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2012, 15:50:28 by FGKouki »

Offline ISMarco

« Reply #57 on: Nov 10, 2012, 21:13:59 »
The shorter forks look way cool  8)

Offline deepwaterimports

« Reply #58 on: Nov 10, 2012, 21:20:23 »
NICE BUILD I AM DIGGING THE WAY THE BUILD IS GOING

Offline Rich Ard

• Site Supporter
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175