Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: NEW MEMBERS - Read this - I'm sorry, but c'mon people.  (Read 14685 times)

Offline Fix

• Site Supporter
  • With a shirt like this, who needs pants?
    • Ugly bike
Re: I'm sorry, but c'mon people.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2012, 23:10:42 »
Sooo...clubmans or clip ons for my CB360?

Half an apehanger on the left, clip-on on the right.  For cornering!
'78 Yamaha XS11

Offline bradj

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2012, 23:34:20 »
There are people you meet in life that seem to get everything mechanical with ease. so when you come across them pay attention, ask questions and most importantly learn from your own mistakes. Cars, motorcycles, bikes, houses they all take a different kinda knowhow but one thing they all share is the fact that you need to have enuff respect for what your working on to take the time to make the propper approch to fixing or modding them. Secondly once you have an awnser to any given question or a useful skill help someone that dosent you will be a better person for it. And my third and final point some times as von stated a few illreplaceable parts need to die so fucking what. in reality the end result is a killer bike so who gives a shit if you learn the wrong way to do something  your better off. i have distroyed more super hard to find gas tanks wheels engines than i care to admit. but ive gained the ability to. not be affraid of what im working on.

dee snider put it best "stay hungry"

Offline MNBikerPup

• Newbie Rider into all motorcycles.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2012, 02:12:57 »
Isn't the point of belonging to this site or other builder sites to have the resources you need to build your bike? Even though currently I do not have a cafe racer or brat or bobber, but even I still find the knowledge and advice to be absolutely valuable. I developed a death wobble everytime I let go of my handlebars, I learned from having a yamaha v star 1100 that head bearings are a common forgotten maintenance on that particular bike, so when I have the $$$, that will be the first thing I look at and replace etc. BTW, for all those out there that are more apt to give and take advice and experience and concern for safety, Thank You. Yon, thanks for bringing up this subject.

Offline MILKY

• cafe con leche
    • Garage Artists MC
« Reply #18 on: Sep 26, 2012, 06:10:28 »
This rant is most certainly not directed at any person specifically, and is also not meant to get anyone up in arms. That said, I've noticed a few things amongst the vintage bike set that have really started to irk me.

It's not the usual "stupid hipsters" or "they want how much for a cb750?" stuff though. Really, I'd like to think that most people here are above the petty annoyances of this hobby.

First off, the phrase "fuck the haters". Ok, I get it. Sometimes people are dicks. Sometimes people will talk shit on your bike no matter what you do. Those people suck. But when folks spend their time to show concern about your safety, or point out a possible better way of doing things... That's far from hate. Why don't we stop acting like insolent children and listen? I know it sucks when you put your all into something and someone points out that it may not work. It's a bummer. But before you get all riled up and decide that the person telling you that there's an issue is an asshole, LISTEN for a minute. You might pick something up... I know I do overtime I let my brain do the thinking and not my ego.

Secondly, you won't get all the answers by asking the same question 1000 times. Again, listen... And maybe more importantly, try. Break shit. Cut it up. Get dirty. Get bloody. I'm really guilty of second guessing myself personally. Because of this I hesitate to dive into shit. That's lame. The times when I tell myself to quit being a pussy and just do it are the most rewarding times I've ever had. Yeah, sometimes I fuck up. Sometimes I waste good parts and good money. The end result is ALWAYS way better than if I'd just phoned it in though. Always.

That brings us to number three...

You can't do it all. Nobody can. That's a fact of life and a fact of motorcycle building. There's always going to he a time when you need a hand. Be it help from a more experienced welder, engine builder, painter, whatever. There will come a point where it has to happen. Be respectful of that fact. It shows your humanity (something so many forget) and keeps you in touch with the outside world. If you've convinced yourself that you can do it all, you're going to lose. Plain and simple.

bravo.. i would like to quote you on my facebook profile.. do i have your permission?

https://www.facebook.com/Garage.Artists.MC

Offline AlphaDogChoppers

• Site Supporter
  • Science is true whether you believe in it or not.
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2012, 06:46:35 »
But when folks spend their time to show concern about your safety, or point out a possible better way of doing things... That's far from hate. Why don't we stop acting like insolent children and listen? I know it sucks when you put your all into something and someone points out that it may not work. It's a bummer. But before you get all riled up and decide that the person telling you that there's an issue is an asshole, LISTEN for a minute. You might pick something up...

You said it!
This should be mandatory reading for new members.
...every dump I take is original too, and it doesn't smell any better because of it's originality.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs
I'm so old, I even know what ignition points are.

Offline spotty

• Vmax...why,yes i think i will
    • spottys world of vmax (and great danes)
« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2012, 06:53:14 »
Half an apehanger on the left, clip-on on the right.  For cornering!

if you look thru (very) old copies of Back Street Heroes (english custom bike mag) the original editor (steve myatt???) turned his old cafe racer into a chopper after seeing the film Easyrider, he did so by putting apehangers on but couldn't get an extended front brake cable so he left the RH clip-on with the brake attached and just put the throttle and clutch on the apes, emergency stops were fun apparently...........
short fast loud, three things punk rock and vmaxs have in common

Offline Wahoo650

« Reply #21 on: Sep 26, 2012, 09:08:25 »
Yinz,  you never fail to impress.  Well spoken, even if it is sad that we all need a reminder from time to time.  This really is a life boat, isn't it?
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" George Orwell
1980 XS850SG - the disco bike
AMA Member
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v121/Wahoo650/
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=15221.0

Offline VonYinzer

• Site Supporter
  • Oh, I got a helmet...
« Reply #22 on: Sep 26, 2012, 10:21:05 »
bravo.. i would like to quote you on my facebook profile.. do i have your permission?

https://www.facebook.com/Garage.Artists.MC

Sure man.

I took the shell off of my racing snail thinking it would make him faster.

It just made him more sluggish.

Offline Maritime

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sep 26, 2012, 10:41:54 »
Good read as always Mike.  Glad your on the life boat with the rest of us. 
My Build: My full figured girl: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13950.msg135199#msg135199
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MILKY

• cafe con leche
    • Garage Artists MC
« Reply #24 on: Sep 26, 2012, 10:47:11 »
Sure man.

done... make ya famous ;)

Offline beachcomber

• Site Supporter
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #25 on: Sep 26, 2012, 10:48:43 »
Yinz,  you never fail to impress.  Well spoken, even if it is sad that we all need a reminder from time to time.  This really is a life boat, isn't it?

OH fuck ....... that'd be Women and children first ??????????????
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline JustinLonghorn

• Site Supporter
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #26 on: Sep 26, 2012, 11:05:25 »
First chance I get, I am throwing Yinzer overboard.
"Art is never finished, it is only abandoned."

"Motorcycles do not define a person's character." -BigRich

My Dearest Darling -Sold

CB400F

Offline Maritime

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2012, 11:07:35 »
First chance I get, I am throwing Yinzer overboard.

HA! 
My Build: My full figured girl: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13950.msg135199#msg135199
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WeberKid

• Tender Ind
« Reply #28 on: Sep 26, 2012, 11:53:42 »
I am guaranteed to fuck shit up every single time I work on my bike.  guaranteed.  I burned through every tube I was tigging last night.  Good thing for flap discs and angle grinders.  nobody sees those pictures on my build thread.

Offline eyhonda

• My bike build archive site
« Reply #29 on: Sep 26, 2012, 12:00:37 »
Good post!   Part of the art is fixing the mistakes.  Just to add --  fear prevents success.
www.eyhonda.com
Honda CB350r project - in the works!
Ducati S2R1000 - Lucille