Fairings! Where did they fall off?!

pacomotorstuff said:
I'm not certain if the thread of the post is mutating a bit or something, but I thought we were discussing when cafe bikes shed their fairings?
In my case, going back as far as I can remember (the late '50's), in my area (southern Ontario, Canada) none of the street bikes had much more than a windshield. Even at the one road race I remember (Harewood Acres), the majority of the bikes ran without fairings.
The first cafe-style bikes with fairings that I saw around were the Velocettes, which had full fairings on them from the factory. That was by about '65. I fell in with 2 Brit brothers at my highschool and got to read all the neat bike magazines they got from Blighty, eat "chips" and drink gallons of tea so strong the spoon would stand up in the cup - but I digress. My Yamaha went from high bars to clubmans, I had a half fairing on it briefly and so on. There weren't very many of us around, let me tell you... and no, I never saw a dustbin fairing on a streetbike but that doesn't mean someone didn't do it.
By the late '60s there was the odd British or Jap bike in my area with a fairing and then the real rush came with the Honda 4's, the Dunstall kits, etc. and the little handlebar fairings that seemed to get put on everything from a moped to a Harley chopper..
So to answer the post question, "Fairings, Where did they fall off?", I guess in my area at least, there were never that many to fall off in the first place...
Regards,
Pat Cowan,
Vintage Motorcycle Fiberglass

This is the same thought I had when reading this thread. I wasn't alive when the original cafe scene was happening, but I have a strong hunch that the people then were a lot like most of us now. Just out having fun with their bikes as their own finances and skills allowed. I'd wager the majority of period cafe bikes were not works of art, more like constant works in progress and more expensive things like fairings weren't on the majority of them.

Here's a great collection of 60's era cafe photos. There are a few with fairings, but the majority of the bikes are naked:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corepixel/sets/72157613288461253/

That's the beauty of a message board like this...threads take on a life of their own due solely to the contributions of the members involved. Live it, love it or leave it.

Back to dustbins, yeah they aren't always the most aesthetic addition, certainly everyone's concept of beauty varies as much as taste in music and food. Personally, I think they speak of intent, a design inherent clarity of purpose heedless of verbiage. If you see a bike with a 'bin, you may not love the way it looks but you know viscerally that it's intended for speed. I like that. I will have one and like Bill says: Kiss my ass if you don't get it. :-* ;)

edit for rampant typos

Well, I get the fact that some people think they look cool, especially being heedless of verbiege and all ??? ???. Just like some people like extended chopper front ends . But the fact is that you would not want to be going down the interstate doing the ton on a bike with a dustbin...... especially if you have to pass a big truck :eek: :eek: :eek:. Or going down the interstate at 60 and have to pass a truck....... or going down the interstate at 45 and get passed by a big truck...... hey, maybe this is starting to sound like fun ;D ;D ;D especially if my intent is hitting the ditch ;) ;) ;)........

Again...perhaps you missed the general description of the Concours I'm considering adding a 'bin to.

Perhaps you should concentrate on being a better rider and/or staying off the interstate as well.
I find the tarmac that's actually entertaining is rarely labled as 'Interstate, Highway or Freeway'. If that's your bag, no sweat man...but you're right; A dustbin on your Aspencade would look ghey.

::) ::) ::)

Jeez,
Just when I said that I never saw a street bike with a dustbin fairing on it, I browsed the link that Wingspan posted and there was one! Looks to be photographed at the Isle of Man during TT week - I'd say early sixties, probably sometime on "Mad Sunday", but that's just a guess.
I'll be damned...
Humbly,
Pat Cowan,
Vintage Motorcycle Fiberglass

To answer Swagger's question about whether or not I have a website, no I don't.
It - and about a dozen or so other business-related items we were working on, was put in the deep freeze about 2 years ago when the recession / depression / whatever the hell you want to call it, bit like a pitbull on a mailman's foot.
We're looking at a website again, but no decision yet. Until then, email or phone me for Q&A, product photos or to just shoot the shit...
Regards,
Pat Cowan,
Vintage Motorcycle Fiberglass,
Pacomotorstuff
pacomotorstuff@cogeco.ca
905-873-3171

Uhhhhh...... I don't have an Apencade , an Electraglide, yes..... but not an Aspencade. Was just using the interstate as an example of a place where one might encounter side wind. If you think I need riding lessons why don't you just blow my Glide away on a back road somewhere..... maybe I could use a few tips, and if you can keep that dustbin "Coors" on the road no doubt, according to you, my Glide would be left by the side..... of the road. Or I could take one of my Ducs and you could show me the proper way to use it. Really I am just jerking your chain about the dustbin...... if you want to put one on your "Coors" why would you care what I think or anyone else for that matter. Now if you want to show me how to ride fast..... I am game for that..... win or lose......hehehe.....

Fairings, in England at any rate, didn't take off until the mid 60s when a number of companies started producing them. But I do think the sidewind thing is a bit overrated. Some of the 2 wheeled RVs of today present an awful lot to sidewinds. But, as has been said, shift 6-800 lbs sideways might be a bit harder. I tried to post this earlier but couldn't get a link. Its El Mirage a couple of years ago. Gusting crosswinds and the bikes were told run if you want to but the streamliners were not allowed to run. I go out a ways and get hit by a gust. Went to the right but pulled it back and ran 124. Having a dustbin on the road wouldn't bother me. Would be kinda cool.

Bill Anderson at El Mirage Dry Lake

Weezy said:
Teaser
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I had to go back and read my comment to see how it came out wrong. I guess what I was trying to get across is that I like the look of the dustbin farings. It gives the bike a verry purposeful look. I would love to have one but I must admit it would pose some serious problems. I wouldn't ride it if it was windy (which where I live is most of the time) and because of it's potential instabillity I wouldn't ride it fast, which I realize defeats the purpose. I have great respect for the racers of that era, when you consider the machines they rode and the saftey gear they wore (pudding bowl helmet). They were a hearty breed, of course they did't know any better. So in reflection you are right, as cool as it would be to have a bike with a dustbin, it's negitives outweigh the positives. But it's fun to dream.
http://bsa.hailwood.com/images/paulgoff.jpg

Weezy, Didn't mean to get on your case quite that hard. It's just so easy for people to read a comment like that and off they go without any awareness of the inherent dangers. And I agree 100% that they do look cool. I remember someone with one on a BSA twin back in the day and it looked OK from a distance but it sure was a big heavy thing to ride.

pacomotorstuff said:
To answer Swagger's question about whether or not I have a website, no I don't.
It - and about a dozen or so other business-related items we were working on, was put in the deep freeze about 2 years ago when the recession / depression / whatever the hell you want to call it, bit like a pitbull on a mailman's foot.
We're looking at a website again, but no decision yet. Until then, email or phone me for Q&A, product photos or to just shoot the shit...
Regards,
Pat Cowan,
Vintage Motorcycle Fiberglass,
Pacomotorstuff
pacomotorstuff@cogeco.ca
905-873-3171

Apt, time to get a site. People with a lot less talent are making money on this wave of nostalgia (aka fad). It doesn't take too much time or money to get a reasonable site up and running. You don't have to have a shopping cart etc until you outgrow other ways of doing business.

It would be good to see some sort of list of what you make and I'm a sucker for pretty pictures.

You could post a lot of pics on a fee hosting platform to get up and running. Or do it as a Blog with lots of pictures.

Bill, your fairing didn't look like a dustbin. I am no expert but I thought the front wheel was enclosed by the fairing in order for it to be called a dustbin..... cool ride though.....

No my fairing is a replica Peel Mountain Mile. I always loved that design. Its been around since the mid 50s and originally was manufactured in Peel, Isle of Man. The SCTA (Southern California Timing Assoc.) don't allow dustbins on solos. But they do on sidecars. The BUB meet at Bonneville which is run by Dennis Manning, allows dustbins on solos. I just put that video up to show the efect of a crosswind on fairings.

This Airtech's MV replica dustbin. I love it! If I had $576.45 (plus tax) laying around it would be on the Norton in the blink of an eye.

mv21.jpg

By weslake at 2010-10-26

I know its like a billboard but i'd still run it.

This was at the BUB meet. Not sure if its my cup of tea but damn! I'm jealous of someone's skill!!!

img0911wv.jpg

By weslake at 2010-10-26

Saw this on the Ducati forum. Not sure but if it was in my grage I wouldn't be too unhappy.

img08301ro7.jpg

By weslake at 2010-10-26

Bill you're my hero man, and that sidecar rig is gorgeous..
Hell, I'd ride that one the road if it was parked in my garage, but I'd hope it was parked next to that bin'd Norton too!

Swagger said:
Bill you're my hero man

Does that mean I have to go get a cape, mask and learn to fly?

P.S. I was meandering around the internet this afternoon. I say meandering as I haven't a clue as to what I'm doing. I came across this photo of Alf Hagon on his blown JAP drag bike. I was in my early 20s when I first saw this and it was the dustbin that sealed my love for dustbins. 40+ years later and I'm still in love with it.

1a20hagona.jpg

By weslake at 2010-10-27

Cape and mask yes, but your LSR work can stand for the flight!

Mr.Hagon's bike looks like a missile!

My butt is only 2" off the ground in the sidecar. That hardly qualifies as flight!! But I'll work on it.

Mr. Hagon's bike was indeed a flyer. At an FIM meeting he was running on the standing start mile record. He clocked 206+. Thats flyin'!

I was paying the bills tonight and ran out of checks. While searching for a new book I stumbled across this old Motor Cycle mag. Sept. '63. Neville Higgins blown Vincent drag bike/sprinter. Another favorite of the time.

img110d.jpg

By weslake at 2010-10-28

Back
Top Bottom