Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Important change to the Site Supporter program  (Read 2814 times)

Offline stroker crazy

• Site Supporter
  • crazy as a fox
Re: Important change to the Site Supporter program
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2012, 20:54:59 »
A charitable organisation sounds like the way to go Tim.

Crazy
All generalizations are false M.T.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2012, 21:40:02 »
And of course with all the 'Ride For XXXXX' events out there, it would be great to have DO THE TON represented by our members in different areas and we can make contributions that way.  Ride for Sight etc.
Zed's dead baby... Zed's dead.

Offline beachcomber

• Site Supporter
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #32 on: Nov 06, 2012, 05:08:25 »
$1000 'ish ............... that's 100 'ish of us contributing a very small amount towards management / a charity /  whatever.

What's happened to the others ...... I'm guessing more than 100 members / contributors.

I just came to renew my BM Riders online membership - $45 this year.  8)
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline DrJ

« Reply #33 on: Nov 06, 2012, 11:29:28 »
And of course with all the 'Ride For XXXXX' events out there, it would be great to have DO THE TON represented by our members in different areas and we can make contributions that way.  Ride for Sight etc.

I don't think this is the way to go. We should be charitable within the DTT community and it's members, not some mega-corporate professional charity. They have plenty of donors with deep pockets. Our funds would be a pittance compared to their overall donations whereas a few dollars spent helping a member would have a more direct affect. Not to mention a large percent of donations to large charities go to administrative costs. Also, if you donate to a charity, they pressure you into giving regularly and pass your name to other charities. Charities are run like any other big business, counter to what DTT is all about.

Online Drewski

• "Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 06, 2012, 19:15:14 »
For my 2 cents, I agree with DrJ.

I believe the charity should remain within. No doubt there are great organizations out there to contribute too. I've done it for many years and will continue to give.

I still thing it's "our family first". I think the small amount we generate would go farther and be more appreciated right here.   8)
"I don't even follow this thread." Rich Ard

"Shut up." Rich Ard

"Ha!" Rich Ard

"A good one liner came out of this thread. I'm happy." Rich Ard

"He said something about hipsters recently that I could barely hear through my beard, Gringo helmet, and flannel shirt." Rich Ard

"I regret nothing!" Rich Ard

'77 KZ1000/zx10r Superbike, '74 h2b/FZ "Mongrel",  '02 zrx1200r "Mild", '74 h2b Tracy/FBG, '71 h1a/750 Project, '71 F9 350 Bighorn She's a runner!

Offline Rich Ard

• Site Supporter
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2012, 22:01:48 »
Not to quibble, but

> So from this point on, 100% of any Site Supporter contributions is going to go directly to supporting our members, not paying the bills of running the site.

is not the same as

> In my mind the most appropriate and universally acceptable use of the money would be for charitable donations that reflect our values as a group.

That said, I have used this site for inspiration and troubleshooting plenty of times - so you can take my money and do with it as you please. Thanks for keeping the lights on.
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2012, 22:23:08 »
Thanks for the feedback - will need some input on how to determine who to help and when and how much.  Making charitable donations to organizations/fund raising events keeps things open and transparent, and does in many cases directly impact our members.

To extend a helping hand to our members is a different ball of wax, one that I've been struggling with in terms of logistics and transparency since I suggested it.  These sorts of situations are typically going to be largely private affairs depending on the wishes of the member(s) in question and the situation.

It's one thing to start a fund raising campaign for a member who runs into a bad situation and the efforts are posted on the board and DTT can make a contribution.  That's pretty easy.  It's a little different when it's a more private situation that isn't published on the board for all to see.  In those cases I'd probably suggest members reach out to me directly with recommendations on how to help and we'll keep it private.

There are approximately 130 Site Supporter subscriptions active, with many of those expected to renew in the coming weeks/months.  I don't expect all of them to renew, hence my suggestion that we're talking about somewhere in the $1000 per year range.

Honestly if it becomes too big a number for me to feel comfortable with, we'll potentially scrap the idea, cancel the Site Supporter program and simply encourage everyone to do what they can to help each other out whenever situations arise.  I don't want to get into managing a $3,000 fund and worry about keeping everyone happy with how the money is used.

Offline DrJ

« Reply #37 on: Nov 06, 2012, 22:26:31 »
Why don't you just use the subscription funds to crank out more DTT swag?

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #38 on: Nov 06, 2012, 22:27:04 »
Not to quibble, but

> So from this point on, 100% of any Site Supporter contributions is going to go directly to supporting our members, not paying the bills of running the site.

is not the same as

> In my mind the most appropriate and universally acceptable use of the money would be for charitable donations that reflect our values as a group.

That said, I have used this site for inspiration and troubleshooting plenty of times - so you can take my money and do with it as you please. Thanks for keeping the lights on.

No question this is an evolving idea - those two quotes are 3 weeks apart.

Offline Kanticoy

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 06, 2012, 22:28:45 »
Honestly, I think that most of us usually are agreeable on where the charity is spent.  I have seen a lot of generosity out of this place over the years.  I for one love to see how people react when there is a person in need.  I am excited to see how this stuff transpires because I think that it will make a huge display of what we are about as a community.  I love this bar.
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #40 on: Nov 06, 2012, 22:38:27 »
100% - sorry if I'm appearing to be at all frustrated or less than enthusiastic about this.  I just want as much openness as possible in this regard.  As you say Kiley, I'm confident there will be obvious situations we can all agree on when help is needed.

Online Drewski

• "Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished!
« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2012, 23:27:46 »
Ya, in know way should this be onerous to you Tim.  :)   If we can help out a DTT Family member, that would be my preference, that's all.

More swag isn't a bad idea!  ;D
"I don't even follow this thread." Rich Ard

"Shut up." Rich Ard

"Ha!" Rich Ard

"A good one liner came out of this thread. I'm happy." Rich Ard

"He said something about hipsters recently that I could barely hear through my beard, Gringo helmet, and flannel shirt." Rich Ard

"I regret nothing!" Rich Ard

'77 KZ1000/zx10r Superbike, '74 h2b/FZ "Mongrel",  '02 zrx1200r "Mild", '74 h2b Tracy/FBG, '71 h1a/750 Project, '71 F9 350 Bighorn She's a runner!

Offline stroker crazy

• Site Supporter
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #42 on: Nov 07, 2012, 02:56:50 »
Swag is not a bad idea but it can generally be self-funding.

A charitable organisation needn't be one of the megabucks, maxi-overheads type. Something like Medecins Sans Frontieres might fit the bill, and I am certain that it wouldn't be hard to find many others.

Crazy
All generalizations are false M.T.

Offline MILKY

• cafe con leche
    • Garage Artists MC
« Reply #43 on: Nov 07, 2012, 03:59:08 »
i have an idea...

why not create a "DDT grant". members could nominate a project and we could vote on who or to what that grant is awarded.

the nominations/voting along the same lines as the bike of the month.

could be an education program, a special project, a national/international issue.. bike related of course.

many charities have plenty of dough.. but maybe if we chose the yearly project from among ourselves?

you cant please all the people all the time.... but we all ride.

Offline DrJ

« Reply #44 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:36:31 »
I dunno Tim, think you've muddied the waters with this. I say just go with your original plan and get that mink coat for your wife. Now that will pay off in dividends!