'83 KZ550 Box-storation!

mowserito

Incoming Wall of Text

Just wanted to start off by saying that I'm new here and don't have a photobucket or anything like that setup so for now I'll just be posting all my images as attachments. Sorry :(

Alright so here's some background info. Last year I bought a used Honda 500 interceptor, I tried in vain for half a year to try and get it up and running but it fought me the whole way. After much consideration I decided I wanted something less modern (i know, an 86 isn't any more modern than an 83 really...) and before long made a deal with a bloke on craigslist was made and I became the new loving owner of a bunch of cardboard boxes full of bolts, a freshly (shotty) painted frame and a sexy gas tank/fender/rear cowl 8)

So I waded my way through about 6 different boxes of parts, consolidated, threw away and just generally took inventory of what I had and didn't have. The biggest challenge with this project so far has been just tiny little things, like it took me hours to find the spacers for the rear wheel and also when I tried to assemble the cylinder head I found I was missing exactly 1/2 of a single valve spring retainer! Bitching aside though when I finally got it kind of in one piece, slapped some clubmans on it, made a cruddy pair of rearsets using the passenger pegs and took a seat on it, I really started to feel like I made the right choice in ditching the miniceptor. First pic is how it sits right now.

sorry for the glare, didn't realize the sun was in my face i guess. Also while I was down there I noticed a ding in the frame, worth worrying about (IE selling ASAP) or do you think it will hold up? Second Pic, Sorry for blur...

Third pic is of all the nice painted bits (they're more golden in person. My sock is really that dirty though)

While I try to figure out getting parts for cheap (head gasket, valve spring retainers, mostly engine junk) I've been pondering over what to do about my "rear set" setup. As it is now the passenger footpegs are my footpegs, which is surprisingly comfy (go figure) and while I know I will definently be fabing shift linkage I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how I could reuse the stock brake pedal/passenger peg mounts. I tried rotating that setup (I had it in my brain that I could cut and reuse the stock brake pedal, just with it facing the other way) but the linkage was binding on the swingarm and just in general not being cool about the whole deal. So I'm pretty much open to advice as far as that goes.

I'm thinking of asking a buddy of mine who works at a machine shop if he could make me a set of aluminum brackets ($$$) so that I could then drop some more serious cash on a set of universal rear sets from dimecitycycles but I am a cheap man by nature so I'd like to hear your guy's thoughts on this. Also I know that I could in theory use a pair off of a cbr/r6/gsxr but I'd like to avoid a modern look if at all possible, then again if that's easiest/cheapest way that's what I'll go for!

Last but finally not least I do have an inkling on what to do for a seat/rear cowl. I have this awesome painted cowl but I don't want to just slap it behind the hideously long stock seat. So I stole some sheet steel from a friend (16 gauge, is that thick enough for a pan? I also have thicker stuff if need be) and am set on making a custom seat/seat pan and detabbing some crud off this frame (oh noes, don't want to cut anything off this orange peel'd, random color splattered masterpiece do we?) but I'm not 100% sure where to cut the frame and also what to keep and not keep. Last picture is a side shot of the tail.

On the very left there's a plate that I was told by a friend I should keep to reweld onto the frame and use as a mount for the future when I install taillight/turn signals. I'm also pretty sure that the rear cowl bolts to this so I'm kind of torn between whether to keep it and reweld it onto the frame once I've chopped it up or to just get some steel plate and make my own. I'm going to be cutting the frame in front of that middle hump thing that's just forward of the rear plate.

Whew that was a lot of writing, as you can probably tell I am a noob at fabrication and I'm finding that its really hard to explain what I'm talking about when I'm using images in attachments so I'll try to post real pictures next time, so please if there's any confusion as to what I want help with or what I'm doing in general don't hesitate to ask, the entire reason I came to this forum is for advice and guidance, SO NITPICK AWAY!!!

Thanks to anyone who read and I hope to post regular updates as parts/time/money become available!

Attachments

• DSCN3735.JPG
    DSCN3735.JPG
    992.2 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN3740.JPG
    DSCN3740.JPG
    994 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN3742.JPG
    DSCN3742.JPG
    991.3 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN3741.JPG
    DSCN3741.JPG
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 192
I'll be watching this one, i have an 82' KZ550 I have down to the frame. I like the flow of the rear cowl and thought of just moving it forward..but am thinking of just making a newer one myself. Got a lot of input from the guys here about what how to do things and the general consensus was to cut and loop based upon things like frame strength and some other items so don't cut the gusset holding the shock but just after. I'm interested in seeing what you do for rear sets, I've been kicking that around as well...and am cheap too. I did just get a full gasket kit off Old Bike barn for $80 so that is the real start, without a good heart it's worthless. Good luck, I'lll be watching.

Subscribed to this one. I have an 83 KZ550 as well that is in the works but currently on hold because I picked up an 82 CB450. Funny thing is that I also have an 86 VF500 that I started out with, was too far gone and I never had the time or energy to get it going so I ended up picking up an 86 VFR750, same bike just bigger. On the KZ I cut my frame right behind the metal hump that the seat pan rests on. I'm planning fab up a cafe seat using the stock pan so I decided to leave that piece there. Good luck, looking forward to seeing what you do with the bike.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

So nothing new to add really, I ordered a gasket set from oldbikebarn.com (good call goochwarmer) and right now I'm just doing some measurements for the seat/cowl fabrication until I can get cracking on the engine overhaul. When I go into work tomorrow I'll try to snap some pics of how the cowl will fit on the seatpan.

UPDATE!

So I went into work early before my boss came in (didn't feel like working until I ABSOLUTELY had to) and did some very rough fitting of the cowl and seat. So here's the stock seat sitting as kawi intended:
CIMG0952_zps62db2cbe.jpg

God I hate that long ugly seat...I wanted to try and use the stock seat pan but it would require some trimming, example:
CIMG0953_zps487dcf82.jpg

I think its doable in theory, but I probably will just make a custom pan so I can also fab a battery/electronics hiding place (under the rear cowl)

And while I had the spare time I sat the cowl on the tail section of the bike just to get an idea of where I wanted to end up. In this position I get lots of seat room and I will have to do minimal chopping of the tail, I do think the tail will need a raise in the near future:
CIMG0954_zps1b900485.jpg

Close up of tail
CIMG0955_zps521848c3.jpg

I also got a pic of the soon to be cockpit, I want to eventually get rid of that very 80's looking dummy light cluster and I'm also thinking of going the clip-on/triple tree grinding/replacing headlight bucket route because I like jamming my thumbs against the tank in slow speed turns haha:
CIMG0956_zps245f5b6d.jpg

Finally here's what I'm planning to do with the tail lights. This is an integrated stop/turn/running light thing that the PO gave to me, not sure on the make, how I'm going to wire it or how I'm going to make it flush/pretty under the rear cowl but I'm dead set on not using the stock taillight setup:
CIMG0957_zps4d3c50f3.jpg

*Some things I haven't figured out yet: Running/hiding/trimming the wiring harness, what I'm doing with the rear fender, how/where I'm putting the license plate and lights. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but I need to go back to work and do actual non-fun work.

Thanks to anyone who read!

I have the same idea, use what you have kinda thing...check it: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=40515.msg442710#msg442710
I did get a PM about cutting the rear and pinching it make it look good isn't structurally sound and in a crash would be a failure and some other things, I am still on the fence about doing so right now. I think done correctly it would look pretty cool and still have a function as hiding the battery and wiring.

Yeah if I do go through with the cut its either getting a hoop or its getting a cross member and some "caps" for the frame

Just a quick update, I got the engine gasket kit in yesterday afternoon and am setting out to work replacing all the gaskets on the engine as we speak. I might be able to get them all in today (except head gasket, still need to get the head/valvetrain back in one piece) and then if all else goes well the engine should be in before the weeks out and who knows maybe I'll be able to get her running before November is out

Update!

So I got the engine in the bike, the head still isn't bolted up yet but its at least in place. I'm waiting for a set of cam bearing dowels to come through the mail so I can torque the head and cam assembly down. Heres some pics of the bike as it sits:
CIMG0963_zps494d86f9.jpg

CIMG0960_zps8e21b9cd.jpg

I had the bike up on craigslist for a while but have decided to keep it at least until I get it to run (though I'm sure once I hear it run I'll want to ride it. So who knows). I'm thinking it would save me a bunch of headaches by just keeping the tail cowl where it is stock and just cutting up the stock seat pan or making a custom pan out of sheet.

Next time I go into work I'll go in with a wiring diagram and start pruning the wiring harness and start setting it on the frame. Also I came into possesion of a kz900 speedo assembly (140mph speedo) does anyone know what kind of mods I would have to do to install that on my bike? (as far as gearing goes, I'm not too worried about mounting. And if it doesn't work I don't care I still have the stock one) and does anyone have any brand preferences when it comes to the stock 620 chains?

I like it man... Like it a lot. I'm in the middle of a 1980 kz550 as well. Keep up the good work, and btw does your frame have a dent in it where your kick stand mounts into it?

PeteyWash said:
I like it man... Like it a lot. I'm in the middle of a 1980 kz550 as well. Keep up the good work, and btw does your frame have a dent in it where your kick stand mounts into it?
Thank you! Well it has a dent but its on the right side of the frame, its small so i don't think it'll do much harm (coworkers opinion, not mine haha). Why do you ask?

mowserito said:
Thank you! Well it has a dent but its on the right side of the frame, its small so i don't think it'll do much harm (coworkers opinion, not mine haha). Why do you ask?

Thanks man. good to know, so the left side, where the kick stand mounts has no dent in it?

PeteyWash said:
Thanks man. good to know, so the left side, where the kick stand mounts has no dent in it?
it could but I'd have to drive to work to check, there might be one where the spring mount on the kickstand runs against the frame rail. But I might just be talking nonsense.

If you're worried about frame strength my coworker gave me an old school trick, if you tap on an undented section of nearby frame with a wrench and compare the sound to the dented section and they sound more or less alike then you're fine. Not sure on the truth of that but it seems like its mostly right which is as far as you can get without involving expensive machines ;D

Also if anyone cares the bike has been put on the backburner for a while, i'm missing more hardware than I realized (mostly engine related) so I put together a parts list for myself and I've moved it into storage at my parents place. I'll collect all the small hardware I need (almost all comparable hardware is backordered even at kawasaki) while restoring an old yamaha thumper thats been sitting for a while (easier to restore a running project than one thats in a bunch of pieces)

So I guess its to be continued for a while

PeteyWash - I looked at my Kz550 and I have no dent on teh left side where the side stand is. I cut and removed that, but noticed a dent on the right side from what I belive is a curb hit or something. if the left side where the kick stand is dented it may have fallen and tweaked the area a bit.

Mowserito - what are you lacking to keep moving on the bike? I initially wanted to do a restoration, but realized it was just a Kz550 adn am tearing it apart. I have half the bike laid out in bins and may not need some of it.

Back
Top Bottom