www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CB360 - Monoshock Brat  (Read 127880 times)

Offline compoundcycles

• CB360 - Monoshock Brat
CB360 - Monoshock Brat
« on: Oct 29, 2012, 14:25:01 »
Hello. I've been lurking in these forums for a little while now and love all the information and inspiration they provide. I'm starting a build and want to post the log here for further support and ideas.

Donor Bike: 75' Honda CB360

Build Goals: Monoshock, Cafe/Brat spirit, Custom exhaust, Stealthy wiring, Healthy tires (Dunlop K70's maybe), Tach only.

Here's the donor bike...

Offline compoundcycles

• CB360 - Monoshock Brat
Re: CB360 - Monoshock Brat
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2012, 14:42:18 »
A couple of recent inspirations...

Offline compoundcycles

• CB360 - Monoshock Brat
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2012, 14:53:25 »
First thing first, strip the bike...

This went pretty fast with the help of my roommate. The pistons, rings, and cylinders were in great shape...despite being slightly dirty. The cylinder head camshaft cradle and rocker arms have some excessive wear. This will be replaced. Broke down the carbs and found them to be fairly clean to begin with.

I was thinking about replacing the stock Keihin carbs with this kit from DCC.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-carburetor-parts-mikuni-30mm-carburetor-mikuni30mm-001-247.html

Does anyone have experience with these "pre-jetted" carbs for cb360's? How worth it are these over the stock carbs as far as performance. Any jetting tips for the stock carbs that would bring them up to their full potential?

Offline simpson

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2012, 14:54:47 »
Do the swap for the pre-jetted Mikunis.  You won't regret it.

-simpson

Offline compoundcycles

• CB360 - Monoshock Brat
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2012, 15:39:35 »
Thanks simpson. I was leaning that way in my head.

Offline compoundcycles

• CB360 - Monoshock Brat
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2012, 15:52:54 »
I'm kicking off this build by knocking off any tabs and brackets I don't need and grinding down any excess weld slag from the factory.

I'm shortening the seat as this will be a single rider bike. Mocking up the rear loop with a temp piece for now. I was thinking it might be aesthetically pleasing to have the rear of the seat loop centered over the rear axel. Any thoughts?

Any good tips on bending the rear hoops or welding a bunch of links together to make one? I'm assuming I'll be searching for someone who does pipe bending in the near future. I'll eventually need a U bent for the swing arm brace as well.

Offline 7aliveatlast7

• the bearded hessian
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2012, 16:25:37 »
i personally find that subframe setup to be a bit too stubby, but that's just my .o2.  interested to see how your monoshock goes in as i recently did that to my kz440.  nice work so far!

Offline compoundcycles

• CB360 - Monoshock Brat
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2012, 17:43:44 »
Thanks 7aliveatlast7. I too am interested to see how the monoshock goes in ;) I'm going to retain the original swing arm and reinforce it with a secondary one, very similar the the first picture in the inspiration images I posted. Stubby yes, but hopefully it can stay compact, I really dig smaller bikes.

I love pipes and exhaust on your kz440, it a very cool looking bike. Nice work.

Offline compoundcycles

• CB360 - Monoshock Brat
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2012, 17:56:55 »
While I think more about what needs to happen with the frame and acquiring a shock I figured I'd get to cleaning and painting the motor.

Lots of taping, blasting, and spraying in my near future. Taping by far takes the longest. Starting with the cylinder I might remove the paint from the edges of the fins to let the aluminum show through after its cured.

I'm using Duplicolor Engine Enamel (Black Gloss). It rated up to 500 degrees. Does anyone here have experience with this paint and how it holds up used on cooling fins, or general motorcycle engine areas? Would be good to know first hand before spraying the whole thing.

I'm leaning towards polishing all the covers...clutch, points, generator so they will be silver against the black of the engine.

Offline compoundcycles

• CB360 - Monoshock Brat
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2012, 21:35:27 »
Thanks for the info about the tires Swivel, they're something I don't know much about. I had a pair of K70's on my first bike and they seemed decent to me. Although they were cheap in price, which usually means cheap in quality too.

I was mostly referring to knocking off the factory slag around the tabs I was removing. However, in some welds I've actually found loose wire feed from whatever arc welder they were using the in factory...that, I'm certainly getting rid of. All good points about keeping the strength of the welds though.

I know I've got my work cut out for me with the monoshock, but I'm in no rush, and the challenge is half the fun (or frustration). I really want to work on my fabrication skills. Thanks for checking out the thread.