the big-bang build - still collecting parts!

stroker crazy

crazy as a fox
After commenting in this forum regarding my wish for a DT400 Yamaha to build a retro-motard a fellow forum member contacted me which resulted in the arrival of these packages in early August:

item.JPG

which contained this:

item.JPG

Some parts for the intended rebuild were found but the frame was a problem; the DT frame was not in good condition and a substitute RZ frame was unobtainable for a reasonable price.

The project stalled.

Toward the end of August another DTT member sent a PM to discuss DTs. After a multiplicity of emails he offered to sell me his DT.

These are several of his photos:

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

Cutting a long story short - a deal was made and the DT arrived last Thursday.
The bike is definitely a bit rough around the edges but has many good points, including:

It runs!!!
Matching frame and engine numbers.
No damage to engine castings.
The petrol tank appears to be completely rust-free internally, it doesn't have any dents, the original paint is in good condition for its age (with some easily fixed rust blisters in a small area).
Apart from the plastics everything else is in very reasonable condition for a 35 year old bike.

Joey's Bridgestone rebuild was the tipping point - the big-bang build has become a restoration!

While there little-to-no-chance that I could duplicate Joey's build quality I intend to do the absolute best I can. It is not intended to be a concours-winning restoration; some changes will be made from the original, but only in keeping with the era.
First change I need to make is to devise some way to be able to put both feet on the ground when coming to a stop. The height is not a problem when racing, but in city traffic it can constitute a problem!

I will take some photos of the bike in the next few days, and then the tear down begins.

Crazy

item.JPG

Re: the big-bang build - now a restoration!

Sweet! Tuning in.

I wish i could find a DT in my neck of the woods.

Is that Commodore (VB / VC?) 253 or 308 powered crazy? I'm pretty sure it's not a SBC cos the radiator hose is in the wrong place for that.

In any case it looks pretty tidy & stock.

Don't know Bellicose - the photos were taken by previous owner.

My ignorance of things four-wheeled is almost legendary!

Crazy

Bellicose said:
Is that Commodore (VB / VC?) 253 or 308 powered crazy?

I'm the previous owner so that would be my car VH Mild 308 (160rwkw), Supra 5 Speed, VL 3.45 Diff.

I hope crazy has lots of fun with the DT sad to see it go but I think it will get better care from you then it would of from me.

Re: the big-bang build - new pictures!

The DT starts amazingly easily!

Motor sounds healthy but will be torn down anyway; crank rebuilt, blue-printed, better breathing (but not hotted-up).

Some pictures taken today:

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

Crazy

Deviot - I thank you for providing the opportunity to build this bike and I welcome any comments you care to make regarding my progress.

Crazy

please post lots of pics of the crank rebuild ....my crank bearings are seized up, so now I need to split the cases and rebuild as well

Re: the big-bang build - Before.....!

Photos of the motor before dismantling; it might help to remind me how it's supposed to go back together!

item.JPG

item.JPG

Crazy

NOS rings in 3 oversizes, should keep me going forever:

item.JPG

To replace the restrictive, heavy, ugly, original silencer:

item.JPG

This is not a concours build, it's aiming to be a practical rider!

Crazy

DesmoBro - I will definitely do plenty of photos of the teardown; I will need as much info as possible to help me get it back together again!

Crazy

http://www.yamahaenduro.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

This place has a lot of help full photos/info....Some DT400 Full Restorations as well

Back
Top Bottom