33 1/3 - '78 XS750- Triple

olskoolife

Hi All! First post here on DTT so I figured I would dive in head first. I'm wrenching on a '78 Yamaha XS750 SE. Working towards a budget build, with most of my $ going toward mechanicals. Going for a streamed lined, bare bones, raw look. My goal is to have a solid runner and stopper, but of course there will be some obligatory cosmetic mods too ;) Some info and pics below. More to come.

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE
1. Complete disassembly to bare frame
2. All extra bits disguarded and/or chopped off and ground smooth.
3. Rearset mount welded. Still need to fab/weld the top mounts.
--- This is actually version 2 of the mounts. After fab'ing version 1 I decided that they were too far back/high so I chopped em off.
4. Fab'd electrical components tray for all bits except battery. Made from an old aluminum stop sign
5. Forks cleaned, refinished and rebuilt. Will upgrade to progressive springs as budget allows.
6. Old gauge mounts milled off triple trees. Refinished with the grinder and wire wheel. Cant even tell they were ever there.
7. Wheel/swing arm bearings and seals inspected and regreased. They seem to be in good order for now.
8. Brake calipers rebuilt with new seals and pads
9. Refurbished/rebuilt handle bar switches
10. Fab'd headlight mount for bottom of triple tree. Using an old tractor guide light
I'm sure there is more....

WHAT WILL BE DONE
1. Move ignition switch to under tank
2. Finalize electrical components mounting. Rewire harness as necessary
3. Fab seat frame. Something low-pro TBD
4. Fab Speedo mount. Exact gauge TBD.
5. Decide on signals for from and rear
6. New tires
7. Shorai Lion battery mounted in alum project box
8. Fab mounting bracket for battery box, to mount to engine case under the carbs/behind starter. Will use rubber bushings for vibration dampening. ***** Any reason not to mount the battery here.
I'm sure there is more....

Attachments

• As bought.jpg
    As bought.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 658
  • power-of-three.jpg
    power-of-three.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 674
  • bw-bike.jpg
    bw-bike.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 696
More pics -

Attachments

• battery box mockup.JPG
    battery box mockup.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 232
  • rearset shift.JPG
    rearset shift.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 218
  • rearset brake.JPG
    rearset brake.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Rolling 111212.JPG
    Rolling 111212.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 267
even more -

Attachments

• elec tray 1.JPG
    elec tray 1.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 202
  • elec tray 2.JPG
    elec tray 2.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 223
  • rear frame chop.JPG
    rear frame chop.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 222
  • triple tree top.JPG
    triple tree top.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 219
Hello buddy, I to have just started a thread on my 400 xs, I'm Guna bookmark this and
Watch your new build mate good luck

Wayne :)

Quick update after doing some more work on the bike this week. She is almost a roller, just need to put the swing arm and rear wheel on. The engine and fork is in. I finished the rear control mounts. They are basicly just two metal tabs welded to the frame for each side. Not that pretty, but the placement is good for me and they are barely noticable. I also fabed up an ugly prototype bracket for the headlight, I need to build in some adjustablility. But it gives a good idea for placement of the light. Mocked up the rear brake reservoir, and put on the tank and bars just for fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    455.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    419.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    447.3 KB · Views: 210
Looks pretty sweet! ;D What tractor did you still the light from? Gonna have to put that down in the idea book for future builds.

cool another triple. kick ass headlight bucket and shild. those rearsets look pretty fancy too. i'll be following this build for sure.

Christmas lights came today. K & S bar ends, and led taillight bulb from superbright led's. 45 dual intensity LED's to keep the cages from crashing my rear. Should be nice and bright 8)

Attachments

• LEDlights.jpg
    LEDlights.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 203
We have (brake) light!

Got the brake light put together tonight with the new LED bulb. I think looks pretty cool, and very bright.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    940.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 199
She rolls on two wheels now. Mid drive, final drive, drive shaft and rear brakes all done and good as new. Rotor resurfaced to a nice new shine. New Rear tire will be mounted up before any real riding, currently is pretty much bald. More to come!

Attachments

• rolling.JPG
    rolling.JPG
    452.2 KB · Views: 203
  • clean rear brake.JPG
    clean rear brake.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 206
wiring heaven, where zip ties flourish. I am working on repairing some loose connections, removing unneeded wires, and rerouting the harness for a cleaner look. In the photos the left side is cleaned up, on to the right side next. Did I mention I really dig zip ties.

Also rebuilt the left switch, cleaned all the contacts and gave it a brushed finish. Just about 1/4 inch between the tank. Works like new now and should look pretty damn good once the bars are painted black.

Attachments

• Wiring striped down and labeled.JPG
    Wiring striped down and labeled.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 201
  • wiring clean.JPG
    wiring clean.JPG
    476 KB · Views: 227
  • left switch.JPG
    left switch.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 210
Thanks for the kind words all, and the bookmarks! I hope she turns out awesome. I am like totally OCD, and pretty much going for it on the bike. Atleast as much as my budget will allow for now. There will be much more that I want to do, and it wont be all polished and chrome shiny, just all business. Lean and mean makes the girls cream. haha.

Not too much to report today, still working on the wiring harness, should be done tonight. Then its time to terminate all those wires :eek: I've seriously gone through about 1000 zip ties

Back
Top Bottom