www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Something different here (MT250 inside)  (Read 4797 times)

Offline DreadRock

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Bang Cut Grind ..Dam Did I Need That Part ?
Re: Something different here (MT250 inside)
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2012, 09:04:21 »
There's another way to get the same thing with out diff shocks ! You could trim down the padding in the seat and make it thinner would take 2 inches out would lower u and not the bike ?

Offline gnarshread

« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2012, 12:03:04 »
Kick ass man! I cant wait to see it done. Ive got an old honda enduro in a shed I've been thinking about doing up. Keep up the work man. your progress looks really good!

Offline Master_Spazez

« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2012, 22:09:40 »
Yeah I thought about the seat too since this one is toast anyway. I figured the exhaust wouldn't work so its either the stocker, or fit a race pipe off of a CR250 of the same year, I'm sure it could fit with little to no bodging. anyway I got the frame back together to make it easier to handle, don't worry the wheels will get cleaned up and that monster sprocket on the rear will go the way of the Dodo bird and be replaced by a smaller one so I could possibly see 90 going down a hill. I also finally got my 6v battery so I can test all the circuits and such to make sure it all works.

Also my clubman bars and grips came in but they're in the apartment office and they close at 6. :'( Also looking at getting custom gauge faces from Sonreir because the factory ones won't match the look of the bike at all.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2012, 22:59:48 »
It will be quite a challenge to make a good looking Cafe Racer out of that bike, but it would make an awesome tracker.  It's really just an update on the original design intent. Mid height bars, tracker seat and it already comes with serious attitude. No need for clip ons or rear sets or any of that.

Offline Master_Spazez

« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2012, 23:16:30 »
I don't think so, if it had different tires on it it wouldn't be too hard to see it as one. I have this awesome picture in my head and I think I can pull it off, we will just have to wait and see how it forms.

Offline surffly

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2012, 23:33:49 »
Why completely ruin a perfectly good bike?

That bike is great at what it is meant to do.  Dont try and shoe horn it into something it will never be good at.
A base bike for what you want to do is not hard to do at all, so cutting up a dirt bike just because thats what you have is a cop out.

Walk before you run
The talk of lowering bikes and megaphones on two strokes tell people in the know alot.
Everyone has to start some place and its great you are super excited about your new found love of bikes.  But focus the energy and put it to good use.  Nothing that you have talked about has anything to do with the way the bike works as a motorcycle.  Focus on the function, make improvements and play to a bikes strengths.  The style, life style and the rest of the dress up game can wait.

Offline Master_Spazez

« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2012, 21:51:19 »
Just because it is outside of the norm shouldn't exclude it from the party. The bike was made as a dual-sport derived from the CR of the day, so why not focus it more on the on-road side of things, since that is where my heart lies anyway? I'm sure it would be a brilliant tracker, too. However I just am not interested in going on trails with it. I got the bike on a super good deal, and I don't see anything wrong with molding it into the cafe racer in my head. Just because I'm not an expert on the way a bike handles or how a 2-stroke engine works doesn't mean I don't have a good idea.

Anyway my bars and grips came in so I put them on right away. Also I muscled the bike up a flight of stairs because I had to take it home from work.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2012, 21:53:01 by Master_Spazez »

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2012, 01:11:54 »
Just because I'm not an expert on the way a bike handles or how a 2-stroke engine works doesn't mean I don't have a good idea.

Actually it does. :-(  I'm not busting your chops here.  When I suggested a Tracker look it was because the frame, seating position and general geometry lend themselves to that ergonomics and look.  A trail or dual sport bike can be made to go on trails, that's true, but a street tracker is a bike that looks like a dirt track racer but lives on the street. Trackers don't go on trails.

Way back in the day, a small company in the UK made some interesting club racers out of those bikes but it did take a lot of work and they had sufficient experience to make it work.

For a cafe bike you really need shorter forks and a modified frame, different wheel hubs, spokes, rims and tires. That's all possible.  The frame will probably need some structural changes too and then there's body work to consider.......

Anything is possible and my first cafe racers was built around a bike that was almost as unsuitable but it's the only one I had so it had to work. So I absorbed every book and magazine on performance bikes and workshop skills and anything technical about making things work better and went from there.

I'm not telling you can't do it.  That's not my job, nor is my intention.  I'm just suggesting that if you want a cafe racer, then that bike is not the easiest place to start.  For a newbie that's important to know.  None of us starts out knowing what we don't know. The more we learn, the more we realize we don't know.

We're just trying top point you in a direction that we feel will be more rewarding and effective. What you choose to do with that is entirely up to you. 

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012, 13:14:22 by teazer »

Offline DreadRock

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Bang Cut Grind ..Dam Did I Need That Part ?
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2012, 09:25:58 »
Ummmm think of a tracker not for the dirt but more like a supermotard a dirt bike with street bike tires !

Offline Master_Spazez

« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2012, 00:58:21 »
That looks kind of silly in my head, I was already mulling the idea of forks from a CBR around in my head but keeping the factory rear swingarm so I can keep dual rear shocks. The biggest issue I see is of course braking. the rear would have to be a custom mounted rear disk and the front would have dual disks, a bit extreme for a 250cc 2-stroke but it would be a nice upgrade from the 40 year old cable-actuated drums. But I am kind of afraid of doing all that heavy modding for my first project.