www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!  (Read 64193 times)

Offline MotorbikeBruno

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Carb cleaning in MN
Re: Well, time to try my hand at a tracker. 71' CB500..eh?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2012, 21:03:28 »
Forks are coming along nicely. Still cleaning and working on the triple clamps. 

shiny  ;)

And I've been convinced to go for a monoshock on this one. It's another challenge, and I've always liked the look.  Looking for a shock at the moment. Been searching for 600 class shocks (cbr's etc)  Here's the hoop I made out of 1 piece for strength.  Got some cool ideas for how I want to do this, but realistically I need the shock here for any actual work to be done so it's not the exact length etc. and I may mock it all up and get some thicker tubing. Right now it's 16 Gauge.

Offline veaone

« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2012, 00:23:23 »
Looking good. Mono shock is gonna be sicks on this bike. Looking forward to see it progress.

Offline ronnie

• Calm down and sail on
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2012, 03:22:38 »
I'm watching this, I always liked the look and practicality of a tracker!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

HOLD FAST.

"'Today I Learned' that if you're going to drink all day you have to get started early." ~kop

CB350F/400Fpowered  "Dago": http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=35263.msg381531#msg381531

Offline MotorbikeBruno

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Carb cleaning in MN
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:56:50 »
I'm waiting on an ebay item to finish up today  ;D

The CBR shock I have is over 11 inches.  I found one that fits another bike (and it IS a monoshock bike) at 9 1/2"  Which will help with a space issue I would like to address.

I forgot to upload these ones the other day. Here's some more.

Forks all cleaned up, new 20W fork oil to help with the old springs.  Got em as tight as they go inside.

And starting the mockup, waiting on that shock (I hope I win!)

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2012, 10:54:33 »
I used a Kawasaki Ninja 650 shock on my mono project.  Most 600 shocks are meant to be used with linkage set up.  I look forward to seeing progress with this bike.

Offline MotorbikeBruno

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Carb cleaning in MN
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2012, 13:02:17 »
Yeah, that was my exact thought, so I found one that didn't use linkage like that.  Do you remember the length on the 650 shock you used? (eye to eye) And do you have a link to your build thread? I may already be subscribed to it, but I'm subscribed to a LOT of threads on here  ;D ;D

Offline MotorbikeBruno

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Carb cleaning in MN
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2012, 15:35:28 »
And from Canada...

I've never done anything with valves/valve removal before, so I think it will be time to learn on this bike.  At the very least I want to put the new seals on them, lapping doesn't look too hard though.  I'll take tips/tricks when I get to that point!  ;)

Bid doesn't end on that shock for another 6 hours....and some jerk (probably one of you  >:() outbid me at the moment...  ;D

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2012, 19:24:33 »
The Kawi shock is 11 3/8" cntr to cntr.

Here is the link to my project.  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20290.0

Offline MotorbikeBruno

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Carb cleaning in MN
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2012, 21:32:02 »
Great! Thanks Johnu...I got through about half of your build so far...that is an insane amount of quality work you have done.  I am no machinist, so I think I'll keep my build on the "easier" side... ;)

As for the shock, I got one that does not use linkage, and has bearings in the ends (or at least one end). I searched around and many said that it must have bearings or there will be problems  :o  Your EX650 shock also had at least one, most likely both ends had bearings correct?

I did win the shock and will post pics when it arrives. It comes in at a shorter 9 1/2 eye-to-eye so it should be perfect for what I need. (I hope)

ONWARD!!

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2012, 00:59:08 »
Yes there isa bearing on one end of the 650 shock.

I am curious as to what your 9 1/2" cntr's shock is off of.  I will be following your progress closely.