www.abelbrown.com

Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

Author Topic: r5 vs rd  (Read 2410 times)

Offline neckyzips

• vintage watch works
r5 vs rd
« on: Nov 29, 2012, 12:32:27 »
ok, so i passed up rz350 long ago when i was a kid working at the bike shop, the poor thing sat there for 3 years, finaly sold for 400 bucks running and fully faired.
ive kicked myself in the ass for years for not picking it up but was striving for the newest fastest sport bike then.

anyway, the smoking bug has hit, there is a decent r5 local for not too much, but should i hold out for the rd/rz for a hot cafe build?
operational procedure #1: HIT IT!

Offline cafematty

• Site Supporter
  • Alcohol disposal unit.
    • CafeMatty
Re: r5 vs rd
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2012, 13:55:50 »
A few differences....

R5 is piston port - RD  is reed valve
R5 comes with a 5spd tranny - RD comes with a 6spd

What area are you in? I have an R5 that I'm probably not going to do anything with anytime soon..
www.cafematty.com
81 BMW R65

"You're asking these questions on a forum where the sawzalls get more use than the credit cards..."
~VonYinzer

Offline neckyzips

• vintage watch works
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2012, 14:50:54 »
north carolina, greensboro.
so the r5 wouldnt be as  hot as the r but still fun

Offline cafematty

• Site Supporter
  • Alcohol disposal unit.
    • CafeMatty
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2012, 15:30:44 »
Both can be little monsters... I'm a bit new to 2 strokes as well.. but I'm realizing quickly why people love them. I have an RD400 that scares the beejesus out of me... pretty nasty little bike.

The RD350 is going to have a bit more potential than the R5. You also get a front disc on the RD instead of the R5's drum. This is why I'm considering selling the R5. I currently have a CS3 (200), the R5 (350), and an RD400. I like the idea of having a nice happy little family of two-smoke Yammys, but if I'm going to have a 350, I'd rather it be an RD. I see them pop up quite often on Craig's around Austin, so I figure I'll come across one that I can't pass up some day. Which makes the R5 less attractive.

It's not that I don't love it... I would just rather put that time and money into an RD.
www.cafematty.com
81 BMW R65

"You're asking these questions on a forum where the sawzalls get more use than the credit cards..."
~VonYinzer

Offline bradj

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2012, 19:00:43 »
The rd has a better trans and reed valves and disc brakes but the cases crank anf frames are the same so rd jugs pistons and front end and you gotta a rd i would not run off a cheap r5 drag racers love them and there cheaper than a rd all and all there the same bike so take a r5 and a few hundred bucks and build a rd or just ride it the power difference is small

Offline Redbird

• Site Supporter
  • Dolor est Magister Optimus
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2012, 19:16:44 »
What Brad said...
And Matty, the six speeds only came in the 400's. But the entire gearbox will drop right in any DS7/R5/RD ;)
When you are Dead, you don't know that you are Dead. It is difficult only for Others.

It is the same when you are Stupid.

Offline neckyzips

• vintage watch works
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2012, 20:16:59 »
hm, well the 5 is less than a grand, suposedly running, or i can change gears and pick up an old iron head for 1800 running which would be kinda cool too, but the two stroke looks like more fun!

Offline teazer

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2012, 20:28:22 »
R5 piston ported 5 speed
RD350 Reed valve 6 speed in most countries
RD400 longer stroke, same reeds and closer ratio 6 speed

That's about the size of it.  R5 with a little porting makes a nice bike.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2012, 22:53:45 by teazer »

Offline bradj

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2012, 20:33:03 »
And faster, worth more, harder to find, and liter, cheaper to rebuild,everyone wont think you beat you spouse if they see you riden a yamaha they will if your on a harley plus there way kooler

Offline S Majure

• Site Supporter
  • est superbia: mens interfectorem
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2012, 22:36:02 »
Clarification; rd350 as of 1975 has a 6 speed transmission

Offline neckyzips

• vintage watch works
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2012, 22:38:15 »
And faster, worth more, harder to find, and liter, cheaper to rebuild,everyone wont think you beat you spouse if they see you riden a yamaha they will if your on a harley plus there way kooler

I suppose I should pick up the yammie, I don't own a brain bucket, muscle shirt, or even the requisite flip flops! I'd have to buy all new gear for the Harley, but wf I'd only be 30 bucks! Lol

Lol, the Harley would have to be striped and cafe'd, I bought a sportster for my uncle while he was at sea, ridding it back the 40 miles three parts vibrated off...

Offline Redbird

• Site Supporter
  • Dolor est Magister Optimus
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2012, 18:20:16 »
Clarification; rd350 as of 1975 has a 6 speed transmission
Wait... your 350 has a 6 speed?
Then why the hell am I always out front?! :P
When you are Dead, you don't know that you are Dead. It is difficult only for Others.

It is the same when you are Stupid.

Offline VonYinzer

• Site Supporter
  • Oh, I got a helmet...
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2012, 18:45:45 »
Yeah... I've owned an Ironhead. Cool bike. It was an antique 20 years before the first one rolled off the assembly line. They're loud, dirty, they shake like crazy, people want a million bucks for every part, and reliability isn't high on the list with any 70s HD.

They'll pull stumps out of concrete, but try riding it past 75mph for any real distance and you won't walk straight for an hour. That said, if I could find another for milk money I'd snag it for sure.

That said, the RD/R5 is a monster in waiting. Light, fast, somewhat inexpensive and fucking cool.

Yamaha smoke all the way.
That shit's bananas.

Offline neckyzips

• vintage watch works
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2012, 19:16:24 »
the hog isnt high on the list, but for 1900 bucks with no current issues...  they sure do look good all fixed up non harley like! and fun to tease my die hard harley father in law with!

the 2 stroke is where im headed, yamaha, kaw, etc, ive never ridden on on the street, grew up with rm's and yz, but i would think the street ones are a bit less harsh?

Offline VonYinzer

• Site Supporter
  • Oh, I got a helmet...
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2012, 19:29:07 »
In stock trim and properly tuned, the RD is a peach. Easy to ride, responsive, relatively quiet, handles well enough for a 35-40 year old bike.

With some proper go fast motor work, real pipes, an updated suspension, and a little weight shaving and its a sub 300lb missle ready to spank bikes with twice the displacement. That said, if you want to go fast its not cheap. Not to do it right at least.
That shit's bananas.