www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Motogadget M-Unit & M-Button !!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 34841 times)

Offline wagonmaster69

Re: Motogadget M-Unit & M-Button !!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2013, 02:32:42 »
What I like to know is how it operates as do you push it in twist it how it is mounted.
And the actual size of it or a picture reference on the size.
Hope I don't come off as to annoying cause I'm really interested in getting one for my bike.

Offline MotoMadness

• Streetfighter & Cafe Racer Parts !!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2013, 09:39:08 »
What I like to know is how it operates as do you push it in twist it how it is mounted.
And the actual size of it or a picture reference on the size.
Hope I don't come off as to annoying cause I'm really interested in getting one for my bike.

The size of the actual M=Button is Diameter: 12 mm and Length: 25 mm.  You can really mounting it how every you want. 

You connect all you handlebar switches to it.  All the wires on it are labeled.  Then you run 1 single wire from the M-Button to your M-Unit.  This way you keep all your wires on the handlebars and only have one small wiring running from your bars to the M-Unit instead of several wires.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2013, 13:06:53 »
I think his question is how does that one button perform all those different functions? Is it tap once for left and twice for right, or do you keep all the usual switches and that little "button" simply translates those individual switch ON-OFF signals into a can-bus type signal to the M unit.

As I understand it, the switches would be wired (probably inside the bars) to the M button and a single wire would go from M button to the M unit and then the wires from M unit go to the signal lamps, headlight etc.  Yes/No?

Offline MotoMadness

• Streetfighter & Cafe Racer Parts !!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2013, 13:10:07 »
This should help.  Here is a wiring diagram from Motogadget.  All your switches get wired to the M-Button.  Then you have 1 wire running from the M-Button to the M-Unit

http://motogadget.com/media/downloads/plan/fahrzeugschaltplan_mbutton_en.pdf

Offline Sonreir

• administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2013, 13:20:17 »
The M-Button and M-Unit are essentially digital multiplexer/demultiplexers with one-way communication from the button to the unit.
The button receives a signal from the mechanical switch, encodes it digitally and sends the information to the unit.  The unit then decodes the signal and triggers the correct relay.  Wiring runs from the unit are still necessary to switch all of the necessary electricals on and off.

So yeah... one wire from the button to the unit, but you will still need wires running from the unit back up to the front of the bike for lights, signals, horn, etc.

It's a nice bit of kit and I want one.  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2013, 13:37:33 by Sonreir »
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2013, 15:14:50 »
Good description Matt. 

I love the technology and shear "German-ness" of the solution.  I used an PC-8 at the front of the bike with a few strategically placed relays and use less wire than an M combo at a fraction of the cost.  It's not as elegant as an M solution though.

I've been a big fan of MotoGadget since they started to appear on top end streetfighters a few years ago.

Offline wagonmaster69

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2013, 18:06:14 »
This should help.  Here is a wiring diagram from Motogadget.  All your switches get wired to the M-Button.  Then you have 1 wire running from the M-Button to the M-Unit

http://motogadget.com/media/downloads/plan/fahrzeugschaltplan_mbutton_en.pdf

Yes that makes it all clear now thanks.

Offline Kanticoy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:05:13 »
Don't mean to drag up an old thread, but these guys by far had the best price on the M-unit and M-button.  I just ordered one of each for the new BMW.  Pretty stoked!
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline bananas

« Reply #19 on: Aug 09, 2014, 03:41:38 »
Just got mine as well. I'm amazed -- It's so small!
'79 Honda CB750 L Monoshock Build
'07 Ducati SportClassic SE
'72 Yamaha GT80