www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Motogadget M-Unit & M-Button !!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 29965 times)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Motogadget M-Unit & M-Button !!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2014, 16:27:57 »
That's what my G/F said :-(

Offline Ribo

• Twist the "go-go" side and hold on!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2014, 18:48:56 »
Not to be a Grinch but it seems like a lot of money to just change wires coming from your bar to one vs a bundle of 6 that can be easily trunked together. What concerns me too is that one of these things that is being multiplexed is the kill switch. Firstly, this unit can go bad, and who's to say that it won't start sending the kill-switch pattern when you hit the turn-signal - worse, in an accident it could fail all together and your kill switch function stops working - bike still running on top of you in a ditch...

What you've basically done here is created a single point of failure for all your front end electrics. If it get's fried by a power surge on any circuit you just lost, lights, turn, start, kill and horn in one shot...
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2014, 18:59:44 by Ribo »
Yamaha XJ650, '81 -- molested brat in transition.
Honda CBR RR900 '99 - sold to al qaeda
Honda CB750 '91 - eaten by shark
Triumph TT '01 - left in a taxi

If you can smell the skunk you can hit the skunk...

Offline bananas

« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2014, 02:36:15 »
^

My thinking was this is a hell of a lot more reliable than a corroded 40 year old wiring harness. Completely replaces the need for fuses, somewhat programmable (for lights, etc), and has an alarm. Honestly I feel like it's pretty well priced for the amount of convenience it provides all in one small package.
'79 Honda CB750 L Monoshock Build
'07 Ducati SportClassic SE
'72 Yamaha GT80

Offline MotoMadness

• Streetfighter & Cafe Racer Parts !!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2014, 09:29:40 »
We have been selling these for over 6 years and have yet to hear of any failures on these.  There is another company out their in the USA making some similar for the choppers and theirs have been failing left and right.  All their authorized dealers are replacing them with these M-Units hahaha

Offline calj737

« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2016, 15:09:15 »
Not to be a Grinch but it seems like a lot of money to just change wires coming from your bar to one vs a bundle of 6 that can be easily trunked together. What concerns me too is that one of these things that is being multiplexed is the kill switch. Firstly, this unit can go bad, and who's to say that it won't start sending the kill-switch pattern when you hit the turn-signal - worse, in an accident it could fail all together and your kill switch function stops working - bike still running on top of you in a ditch...

What you've basically done here is created a single point of failure for all your front end electrics. If it get's fried by a power surge on any circuit you just lost, lights, turn, start, kill and horn in one shot...
A little clarification on your concerns:

Each function is separated into different fused circuits at the M-Unit. The M-Unit has an installed Starter Safety Motor, so thats as reliable as an external. If the M-Unit were to go "bad", it would be analogous to a fuse block melting. Bypass the M-Unit by jumping the switched 12v to the AUX output and away you go. you'll have limited lighting, but your bike will run. You could add the LIGHT circuit and TAIL to this temp bundle to get you home in a pinch.

Each circuit automatically resets in the case of a fault, so there is solid state redundancy and protection built in that is not available in 30-40 year old technology.

A significant difference to using an M-Unit versus stock switched loads is the handlebar switches see no load; they only send functional signals to the M-Unit (ground) and the M-Unit then transfers power directly to the component. This limits the resistance seen across the wiring, reduces the wear on switches, and allows much smaller gauge and fewer wires in your bike.

I'm not a fan of the M-Button as it has requirements for installation and can be problematic with certain ignition systems, but it is a handy idea. I've installed 10s of dozens of these on all types of bikes. I have yet to see one fail and with the added safety/convenience features, they are a very nice upgrade to an older bike.