KZ400 with loads of class... (FINAL STAGES!!!)

valvesprung

Over 1,000 Posts
Some of you have seen my '77 KZ400 and some of you haven't. Well in about 2 weeks none of you will recognize it ;D

The bike was given to me by all of the guys in my wedding party as a bit of a semi-running project (pretty good buddies eh)
It started life something like this, but with a bit more wear and a much more stripped down model (and only 7200 miles!)
1975blue.jpg

After a winter of tinkering we got it running solidly(ish...) and I got to ride it a bit through the summer. The buddy that owned it before me threw on some flat black paint, a set of clubmans. We built a custom fender delete built from scrap metal from around the shop just before she was roadworthy.
100_0703.jpg

and here we are at today. (sorry for the cell pics...I forgot the digi) I spent the day stripping the bike, prepping it for paint, and getting it shot.
IMG00114.jpg

IMG00117.jpg

IMG00119.jpg

IMG00120.jpg

IMG00121.jpg

Here is the new seat I scored on Ebay. I paid $68 buck including shipping for this seat and a re-wrapped factory seat.
IMG00124.jpg

IMG00125.jpg

Next came the header wrap. It was something I've been considering for a while and got on such a roll today that I just bit the bullet and made it happen. I'm pretty happy with it being my first time.
IMG00122.jpg

IMG00123.jpg

Then I busted out the steel wool and started shedding the years off of the bare metal and chrome
(10 mins of work...)
IMG00127.jpg

I dropped the wheels off at the shop to have the RoadRiders installed and they've ordered up a fresh set of shoes for front and rear. I've also got a custom built regulator and rectifier from www.oregonmotorcycles.com ready to throw on. The tank and side covers are at our paint shop being sprayed with Crystal White Pearl, which is a pearl flake rather than a liquid pearl which gives it a very crisp white finish that really looks amazing in the sun. I'm thinking I'll have them finished with a satin clear once done, but I'm undecided...

I've been saving and collecting for a while so today felt like a huge triumph and I can't wait to finish. I suspect it'll be just one more full day to finish (reinstall exhaust, tank, shoes, wheels, and give it a full tune up and adjust all of the chains etc... I also want to chop the frame and build new mounts for the rear turn signals. Eventually I'll also be adding an H4 headlamp with integrated turns, fork boots, and a set of adjustable clip ons. Hope you all enjoy.

Re: KZ400 with loads of class...

Cool, another '77 KZ400 project, looks great so far. I'm thinking finding a set of S model 2 into 1 pipes might have been a better idea for my build, the eBay Jardine system I picked up has to be removed to change the oil filter & I have to get rid of the center stand, but the price was right. Keep us posted.

I've got another day off on Thursday and hope to finish 90% of what's left, leaving only the final tweaks before she's road worthy. I took a bunch of nice close ups of the paint work in all it's silky smoothness but won't be able to upload them for a day or two...I'll keep you guys updated.

Nice build so far valvesprung, keep showing the progress.

You must have a awful big shoehorn to get that Toyota in that garage :D Doesn't look like there is much space between the roof and the garage opening.

Re: KZ400 with loads of class... (UPDATED PICS!!!)

Nice! Looks like it's going to be very clean looking. Did you paint the engine yourself? If so, what kind of paint did you use? Very smooth looking.

I did. I used Duplicolor Low-Gloss ceramic black engine paint and engine primer. I soaked the entire bike in Castrol super clean and pressure washed it a week before and let it dry. Blew off the dust, scuffed up the paint and went to town. I'm reall happy with the results, but I have been reffered to as the rattle can master ;D

Excellent spray bomb job.
I've seen your bike on the vortex.

Updates! (caution more camera phone pics ahead...)

Today was very productive. I was finally able to track down a set of front brakes shoes so the reassembly began.

Here is the old rubber:
IMG00130.jpg

New...
IMG00128.jpg

New chrome coil: (for this we used some tire patch material to pad between the rumbly frame and the coil, worked like charm)
IMG00132.jpg

Here are the new electronics (thanks to Oregon Motorcycle):
IMG00136.jpg

And after a lot of work with the steel wool, some chrome polish, we reassembled her:
IMG00133.jpg

IMG00134.jpg

IMG00138.jpg

IMG00137.jpg

IMG00139.jpg

IMG00140.jpg

IMG00142.jpg

All that is left is the oil change, spark plugs, and full adjustments. We sanded down the paint on the head fins after the pics (or rather finished) and with just a few more minutes of cleanup that will be done. It isn't perfection, but I'm happy and it fits in with the rest of the bike (not perfect, but solid and tasteful...I hope) The tank and side covers should be done in paint by the weekend, but I'm a bit unsure about the color. It looks amazing on the side covers, but I think the white may be just a bit too stark for the total package. I may opt to have them resprayed in an cream white depending on how it looks once assembled.

Re: KZ400 with loads of class... (Updated with pre-install paint pics)

Lovin the changes so far valvesprung, keep posting. What kind of tires are they? Avons?

Yup Avon Roadriders (kindof become the standard on here...) They bloody look fantastic that's for sure...

Nice work, love the pearl paint. Is the front fender bare metal?

TB fo' lyfe. ;)

Orange_Crusader said:
Nice work, love the pearl paint. Is the front fender bare metal?

TB fo' lyfe. ;)

No we used a basic silver on the fender, not sure what I'll do with it, but I won't change it until the rest is together and I see the full picture.

TB FTW... ;D

Love the contrast of pearl white and black details. Waiting for the tank and fender to be painted and mounted now. Very neat job on the engine, exhausts, etc!

How do you guys paint the engine and leave the fins buffed?! That detailing makes it look exquisite!

Well we painted them all and then I sanded down the ends. Not as crisp as I'd like yet, but with a bit more work they should look great.
The tank is till in primer...

...no really ask me how excited I am about that...but I'm being reassured that it will get painted on Monday.I'm headed out tomorrow to do all of the final work (i.e. fork seals, oil change, spark plugs, brake/clutch/throttle adjustments, and just making sure everything else is operating within Kawasaki's specs), sans starting it because of the tank...

Looking great, I like the choice of color. My KZ400 is close to done, organizing some photos & getting ready to update my thread as well. Keep up the good work, I really like the way yours is turning out.

Back
Top Bottom