www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Small bike for a woman/shorter rider?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline AyYo!

Re: Small bike for a woman/shorter rider?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2012, 22:14:12 »
Thanks everyone for all of your input. I really appreciate it.
I should have been more specific on what kind of bike I was looking for (my mistake). I am mostly looking for a mid 70's "cafe racer" style bike. I live in an urban area, so it will be mostly used for city riding.
I was looking at a cb750f on craigslist and went to go check it out. I loved it but it was just a little too big for me. Seeing as I am a beginner I don't think I would feel comfortable handling it.

However, I have found '74 cb360 that I plan to take a look at. Hopefully I will have more luck with that!

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2012, 22:54:55 »
The 360 is a good one. Remember though, its not your height that matters its your inseam. I'm 5'8" but with my short legs I have a hard time fitting on bikes that shorter folks don't at times.

Anyhow... You're going about it the right way. Go and see/sit on every bike you can and see what feels right for you. I'd have to say that you were VERY right in passing on the 750. Way more bike than you'd be happy with at first. Again, the 360 should be ok. If you can find a Yamaha RD350, or  RD250 those would also be great. Very light and easy to ride. So are the Honda CB/CL175-200-350/360, the Suzuki T250 or 350, the Yamaha XS360 or 400 and so on. Basically, if you stick with a twin in the 450 or smaller range you should be good.

One rule of thumb you'll definitely want to stick to is that you should learn to ride well and feel comfortable on a bike BEFORE you build a cafe. If built correctly (i.e. with performance as priority one) a good cafe can be a bit awkward and even unruly. An inexperienced or timid rider can easily let the bike take over, and that's when you lear about good riding gear. The hard way. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2012, 16:30:17 »
1970's 200~400cc is probably best to learn to ride (rather than 'point and squirt' which some people never get beyond, particularly with high power sportbikes)
 I prefer riding CB360 although it does get a little cramped (I'm 5' 10", was 6" before back injuries)
It's a lot more fun 'pushing' a slow old bike beyond it's limits  than using 1/10th the performance of a new fast bike
 If your doing less than 200 miles on Sunday or over weekend they are fine (although I wouldn't want to do that sort of mileage every day on one)
 I have used 360 for 20 mile each way commute
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline swan

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Kickstart, shift on right, drum brakes and spokes
    • 1962 BSA Gold Star barn find restoration
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2012, 22:12:26 »
CB400F is perfect.
1966 Triton cafe, 1962 BSA Gold Star DBD34, and 1966 T120 Triumph Bonneville.
BSA Gold Star barn find restoration
1975 CB400F Cafe Racer build
1966 Triumph Bonnevile restoration