Tim's XS project - 750cc rephased ported head titanium valve hot cam craziness

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
I've trimmed the thread of some of the extra posts (apologies to the authors) to make it a little easier to read through and follow.

Re: My XS650 project officially begins TODAY - April Fools Day

Got it :D Pics!

XS6502007-8.jpg

XS6502007-7.jpg

XS6502007-6.jpg

XS6502007-5.jpg

XS6502007-4.jpg

XS6502007-3.jpg

XS6502007-1.jpg

XS6502007.jpg

Re: My XS650 project officially begins TODAY - April Fools Day

So I couldn't resist test fitting the alloy tank to the bike. The points would have to move a bit lower to clear the tank, but that looks pretty easy. Might have to remove the mounting cups on the frame for the stock tank, but they could always go back on easily for when I want to return the bike to stock form.

Tank will sit level once the points and cups are moved, and the rear end of the tank will sit solidly on the frame rails near the seat. Petcocks clear the engine nicely too, so all looks well. The frame design near the seat will accomodate a nice seat no problem too - something to go with the tank.

Going to look killer in either racing form or stock.

XS6502007-13.jpg

XS6502007-12.jpg

XS6502007-11.jpg

XS6502007-10.jpg

XS6502007-9.jpg

Re: My XS650 project - updated May 4 - and now there are TWO!

So got the bikes out of the garage this morning and in 2 hours broke the red 650 down to the frame and engine. Just need to pull the engine and then pull off the steering head and swing arm.

XS6502007-1.jpg

XS6502007-2.jpg

XS6502007-3.jpg

XS6502007-5.jpg

bike on a shelf (hopefully not for long!)

Engine is out and bike is up on the shelf out of the way - car can go back in the garage again :)

Full rebuild / refinish of the engine is in order, along with refinishing the frame, new bearings in the steering head, new bushings for the swingarm, rebuild both front and rear drum brakes, new electrical front to back, blah blah blah blah.

Ordered new tapered steering head bearing this morning from www.mikesxs.com - will see how the shipment / taxes go. Kept it to just the bearings for now to see how it goes. Will likely keep my orders just big enough to get free shipping but not too big as to attract attention of customs :)

Next up will be new 1977 switches and wiring harness. Electronic ignition kit is going on the list too.

Took the frame and other greasy bits to the carwash to powerwash the snot off. Sat the tank on the bare frame and saw which bits had to be sacrificed in the name of all that's Alloy.

Doesn't quite fit...

XS6502007-11.jpg

So a wee bit of surgery...

XS6502007-12.jpg

The new lean and trim front end. Tank mounting cups removed by drilling out spot-welds and horn bracket ground off. Coil hanger can stay - nice fit and will hold the single boyer coil at some point.

XS6502007-9.jpg

Makes for a perfect fit!

XS6502007-8.jpg

XS6502007-14.jpg

XS6502007-7.jpg

Maybe this would look good on it :)

Well, I just got my tank strap and toggle bracket ordered from British Cycle Supply in Nova Scotia. Stainless steel and should look something like this when I'm done with it :)

Now I'll need a welder to put the right sort of brackets on the frame to mount the strap to....

Latest addition to the pile of parts - my Radian swingarm! Now I just need to sort out how the heck this thing goes on!

Re: My XS650 project - updated May 23 - engine work begins

Started digging into the engine tonight. Need to get a chain breaker to get the cam chain off to pull the head and cylinders off.

Then off to www.conceptsonwheels.com for a valve job and to see if the piston clearance is good so I can have it honed and order new rings. I'll have them beadblast all the parts to clean off all the black paint.

Pics089.jpg

Pics093.jpg

Pics094.jpg

I might cut the loop off but if I do I'll get it braced. I'm likely going to get some bracing added to the swingarm pivot area too - a common thing to do, and seeing as I'm having the frame powder coated, it's the right time to do it.

Pulled the rest of the top end off - had to haul the engine to Cyclewerx near my place to have the cam chain master link pushed out. He broke his tool doing it! Glad I didn't spend the $60 on a tool for myself. $20 to push it out, and $20 to put it back on later.

Cam sprocket and chain look in great shape - valve train and cylinders etc. off to www.conceptsonwheels.com hopefully tomorrow!

Ordered a shwack load of gaskets/seals/washers for the entire engine from www.mikesxs.com tonight. Every gasket and seal for the engine.

So - picked up 4 valve seals at Winners Circle for $3.09 each which is great! The $14 (taxes) allowed me to drop off the valve cover, cylinder head, cylinders and pistons at Gord Bush Performance in Etobicoke (thanks Ian!) this afternoon.

Next week should see me with a freshened head and cleaned up (no more rattlecan black!) parts. With luck the piston/cylinder clearance will be tight enough to allow just a hone and new rings.

Gaskets, oil seals, all sorts of washers, cam chain master link etc. are all shipped today from Mikesxs. This weekend I'll be cleaning the bottom end of the engine best I can with paint stripper to get rid of the last of the black paint, and then perhaps next weekend or the week following I'll be reassembling my engine :D

ANNE - I need some welding done! Going to brace the swingarm pivot area to reduce flex now that I'll have a stiffer Radian swingarm.

Then off to powdercoating... Might have this on the road by August :)

WHAM! My latest acquisition for the bike. DID alloy 19" rim laced to an XS650 front drum brake :D With new brake shoes which run $40 from 650central.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280117482398

Yes, I stayed up till 2:40AM to win the bloody thing. Not sure why a guy in Florida posts an auction at 3AM but I'm not arguing. That and listing it as an 'sx650' instead of xs650 likely won me the auction. I came close to getting it for $50 but one other bidder was watching it. I wanted it more than he did :D

It has been drilled for a typical brake stay, which means I can likely use it with just about any forks I want :) 35mm front end here I come!

Re: My XS650 project - updated May 26 - got a new front wheel!

And now I have Telefix clipons. Only thing is I'll need 35mm forks to go with them.

Re: My XS650 project - updated May 26 - got a new front wheel and Telefix clipons!

Received the Radian swingarm today :D and can confirm it's a straight bolt-on. It has needle bearings in place of plastic bushings on the stock 650 arm, so it's miles smoother. I'm not sure if its lighter - will weigh them later. Looks killer on the bike - very beefy. Will look even nicer once it's black. Pics later.

There is a tiny amount of left-right play in the swingarm pivot. Might have to add a thin washer to either side of the swingarm between the dust-covers and the frame.

$124 landed cost (CAD) which ain't bad considering it's got the needle bearings in place, which run US$80 at Mikesxs and it came with all the Radian's axles, swingarm pivot bolt, brake drum arm and engine mounts for some reason. He just threw in all the long bolts from the bike I think.

Re: My XS650 project - updated May 26 - got a new front wheel and Telefix clipons!

Pics of the Radian swingarm bolted on using the XS650 pivot bolt.

XS6502005.jpg

XS6502005-1.jpg

XS6502005-2.jpg

XS6502005-3.jpg

Re: My XS650 project - updated May 29 - Radian swingarm arrived - bolted on for fun!

And people say I have all the luck. I just got the news that my pistons/cylinders have agreed to seperate after 30 years of close companionship. Need new pistons. Going up a size - maybe 2 just to be sure. A 1/4 mm just seems so insignificant, so might jump to 1/2. It's only the 2nd of 6 stages of overbore, and if I need to bore these cylinders 4 more times, I'll either be too old to ride the bike or dead.

Re: My XS650 project - updated May 29 - Radian swingarm arrived - bolted on for fun!

Tim ... just a heads up on your swingarm conversion. Remember that the axel sizes are different, XS is a 20mm and the Radian is a 17mm. The last ine I did I just bought new bearings, rather than try and bore out the swingram and adjusters. :)

Back
Top Bottom