www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Help restoring Henry Abe wheels  (Read 6751 times)

Offline AlphaDogCustoms

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Science is true whether you believe in it or not.
    • Alpha Dog Customs
Re: Help restoring Henry Abe wheels
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2013, 16:10:49 »
Go ahead. Put PC7 in your brakes. What could possibly go wrong?  :-\
...every dump I take is original too, and it doesn't smell any better because of it's originality.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs
I'm so old, I even know what ignition points are.

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2013, 16:11:55 »
 I don't even know what that is. I'm asking why/when/what/how. Care to elaborate?

Like I said: I thought JB Weld made a HARD surface.

Online Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2013, 16:20:17 »
You're going to end up with JB Weld smeared all over your brake lining and shoes.  It's not going to abrade away and turn into dust, it's more likely to just smear all over the place, heat up, melt etc.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2013, 16:26:43 »
 Duly noted. The pock marks aren't that bad. I've run worse before with no issues.

Offline buzznichols

« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2013, 17:12:10 »
Any thoughts about G Bond for such an application?  That's some pretty crazy stuff...
"Guess what, daddy.  Boys have a penis, and girls have an agenda!"  - Hank Nichols, age 3

Online Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2013, 17:21:20 »
Honestly don't know what benefit would be gained from filling in pock marks in brake lining with foreign materials.  If they're bad enough, they need to be relined.  Nothing else is going to improve braking or prevent uneven / odd wear on your brake shoes.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2013, 21:38:47 »
 Picked up the wheels from the powder coater today. They did a great job of blasting them. I'm not sure what media they used, but they're very clean and not too rough.

The guy that did the blasting said that when they finish the raw surface with clear, it looks amazing. He said a lot of hot-rodders have manifolds, etc., done that way and it looks really cool. I took his word for it and decided to let him blast the whole wheel, tape up the rims and edges of the spokes, powder coat the wheel black and then have the whole thing cleared.

They gave me this weird heat tape to work with:

At first, I tried doing it in small pieces, but the tape isn't very flexible when making a curve.

So I taped up large areas and used a razor blade to trim it. Aah...much better!

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2013, 21:41:13 »
 It took about half an hour to do one side of the front wheel.

I took a few breaks, but this is what about two hours of taping and trimming gets you.

I'll get them back to the powder coater next week and, hopefully, he can work them in soon.

Offline Tifun

• Indy
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2013, 22:24:57 »
Very nice! My HA's are going full gloss black for my 550. Always stoked when I see another set!
KZ440 LTD Build: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=61491.0
SOLD: CB550K Build Thread http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=42545.0
Quote from: Angela's Bonus Technique
whawhooshwhawhooshwhawhooshwhawhoosh

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2013, 10:10:37 »
 And...back from the powder coater!