www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CB750 DOHC Fork Interval Question  (Read 111 times)

Offline enterlance

CB750 DOHC Fork Interval Question
« on: Apr 22, 2019, 01:42:53 »
Hi, on my way putting up the CB750 I started last year, after installing the triple tree and fork legs, I found that the fork interval is not equal - they are not parallel. The top interval is as much as 1' wider than the bottom(5.8' vs 4.8').
Is this a problem? If so, how should I fix it before putting on the front wheel?

Offline pidjones

Re: CB750 DOHC Fork Interval Question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2019, 08:05:23 »
You are not measuring fork parallelism as you are measuring different diameter points. You need to measure distance between the tubes at the top and where they enter the lowers. And it must be a very accurate measurement. But, yes, they MUST be parallel. If the tubes are straight and the tripples are matched, there should be no problem - they will be parallel.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline enterlance

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2019, 17:50:49 »
You are not measuring fork parallelism as you are measuring different diameter points. You need to measure distance between the tubes at the top and where they enter the lowers. And it must be a very accurate measurement. But, yes, they MUST be parallel. If the tubes are straight and the tripples are matched, there should be no problem - they will be parallel.

Man, how could I be this stupid! Must be the Marlboro messed me up last night...
Anyway, thanks for the advice! My guess is that the powder coating guy coated the inner triples, so I have to strip the powder coating before install the forks... I will try to work on it today.

Offline enterlance

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2019, 20:47:23 »
Tried to get rid of the powder coating in the triple trees, they are still not parallel. I suspect that at least one of the fork is bent...

Offline enterlance

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2019, 22:16:37 »
Ok, did a quick check. The fork tubes are bent in a bad way. Now my mission is to find a pair of replacement. Man, aren't they expensive and hard to find!

Offline pidjones

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2019, 20:40:55 »
I've heard this place mentioned many times: http://franksforks.com  BTW, a '78 or '79 GL1000 front end, triples and all dropped right in my '79 F.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"