The GuZ - 1984 Moto Guzzi G5 V1000 Cafe Racer

lior_baruch

Been Around the Block
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hi all,

Over a year ago I bought a 1984 Moto Guzzi G5 V1000 from a friend... he started a cafe project somewhere back in the '90 and quit, and since I bought it, I just played with it a little and the some of what I did is shown in the pictures below...

Well, I don't like it ;D I mean.. it's nice.. but after a year of just staring at it and not riding it because I was busy with other projects, I want something else.. A cafe, but with a different

So... what's the plan?

First of all, to part it... until no single bolt or part is connected to anything...

The current front-end is from a 1987 Suzuki R750. Nice, but I'm not sure... I want something else... upside-down maybe from a more modern bike, or the original one, not sure yet...

Fuel tank... I want something different.... connected to a cafe seat... all will be metal or aluminum...

As for the rest of the bike I have no idea what I'm planning... it will be part by part design and build, and I'm more than happy to share it with you, to learn from you all and to get your opinions that will help me build The GuZ :D

So... that's how it looks like now.... I took those pictures about 6 months ago, I didn't remove the cover off the bike since... well, it's about time.

P1060366.jpg

Letters in Hebrew saying - No Parking 8)
P1060412.jpg

P1060432.jpg

P1060390.jpg

Next week I'm planning to get it on my ramp and start working on it :)

Lior.

I started the day with getting the GuZ on a ramp, meaning that it's going to be back on the road again soon... :D

I changed my mind.. for now... I'm not going to part the bike and make it too beautiful to ride. I want this one to burn rubber, piss oil everywhere it park and make my pants dirty when I sit on it 8)

The current front-end is from a 1987 Suzuki R750, the wheel is from... I don't know...

I started with trying to fit a Moto Guzzi front wheel (same style as the rear one) with the current front-end, expecting some problems in the calipers spacing etc...

Well, it fits perfectly! I need to fit new spacers and looks like it will work just fine.

Many parts are missing like a master cylinder (front & rear), levers, cables etc. I'll start working on getting those...

All brake parts will need a lot of work... as well as the wiring etc. fun fun fun 8)

In addition, a seat is needed... I haven't decided yet if I'll buy a fuel tank and seat (aluminum, from shops in UK and Germany) or I'll stay with the current fuel tank and build a seat...

Hmmm... pictures time :)

Don't say I didn't warn you... I like taking pictures, sometimes some of the pictures I show got nothing to do with the current progress :eek: ;D

Lior.

P1080098.jpg

That's how the front wheel was before...
P1060432.jpg

And now... I'll work on those disc brakes later on ;)
P1080101.jpg

P1080103.jpg

P1080105.jpg

P1080107.jpg

P1080110.jpg

P1080098.jpg

Progress.... :)

I bought the GuZ with a front-end of a 1987 Suzuki R750, which is nice, but I wanted nicer... so... fitted it today with a fork from a 2008 Honda CB600F :)

I would like to use the original Guzzi wheel, so some mods will be done there to fit the brake rotors etc...

The triples will be replaced with new self designed ones made by CNC. I'll update soon...

The seat and fuel tank will be hand built, I'll start working on it once I'll complete the front-end conversion (that way I'll have the clip-ons clearance etc.)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Parting the Guz :)

The upper and lower triple will be replaced by a self designed CNC alloy ones.

I'm looking for rearset for the Guzzi... the gear lever is one of the most complicated ones I've seen... so many linkages for such a simple task... :) not sure yet if there are any to buy or I will make one...

Harness... gonna be fun :)
P1080400.jpg

P1080410.jpg

P1080402.jpg

I just love this cylinders confiiguration
P1080414.jpg

P1080415.jpg

Carbs will be rebuilt
P1080417.jpg

P1080418.jpg

P1080419.jpg

P1080420.jpg

P1080422.jpg

The interesting work of renewing parts, building, making and dreaming begins now ;)
P1080424.jpg

Oh... one more thing...

Just got an email from Richard from TAB II Classics (http://www.tabclassics.com/) saying that the fuel tank I ordered is ready, took them about 3 months, worth the waiting!

DSC05552.jpg

DSC05553.jpg

DSC05554.jpg

DSC05555.jpg

Subscribed!
When I first started reading you wanted to change the tank I thought you were crazy... why mess with such beauty?
But now that I see what you got, I am in AWE! What a great piece that is... CONGRATS!

Hey there, looks really a great start. Your bike already looks cafeish!
New front inverted forks just something designed for that bike! Pretty!
I always like the engine shape of Guzzi, but there is consider none of them in Vietnam. So I don't dare to buy one as afraid of there is no parts of it or no knowledge of it's trouble shooting and so.
That why I bought a CX650 and build a cafe racer from that (see my signature).
Your new tank looks awesome, but 3 months waiting is too much. My tank, erh,... not so nice as yours, but it was made within a week (excl painting). So don't know what they do to make the tank for 3 months!???

I've always looked at the Moto Guzzi engine as two cylinders of a radial engine.
Plus they have one of the best sounds ever. Great bike can't miss.
Cheers, 50gary

The tank is here... As well a hand built Seat.

Next step will be to build brackets for the above and get the frame ready to paint.

Soon ;)

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4377.JPG

IMG_4382.JPG

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4386.JPG

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

VietHorse said:
Addition: what you gonna do with your rear shocks?

Don't know yet... :)

Do yourself a favor and either get a new harness, or make one. These bikes are great to look at, but the electrics are pure crap from new.

caferay said:
Do yourself a favor and either get a new harness, or make one. These bikes are great to look at, but the electrics are pure crap from new.

So true.... all the wiring will be new, using modern parts as much as I can, the old one are crap indeed...

Seat, fuel tank and battery & electricity area building:

The seat fits perfectly on the frame, it's just that the height is different than the fuel tank... I want them to be alligned and with room for rubber under the seat and the tank...

P1080967.JPG

P1080969.JPG

Marking the brackets location on the frame:

P1080971.JPG

P1080973.JPG

3mm sheet metal, as well as raisers as per the height of the tank

P1080974.JPG

P1080982.JPG

Now that I'm done with the above, the frame can be finally removed from (sliding it up) the engine
P1080985.JPG

P1090001.JPG

The tank lines and the seat needed some fittings to match:

P1080975.JPG

A friend too a phone without me noticing.... 8)

P1080985.JPG

P1080980.JPG

The battery, as well as other electric components will be hidden under the seat. For that, I used a 3mm sheet metal to create a 'shelf' for all
P1090014.JPG

P1090015.JPG

P1090016.JPG

Simulating a battery (Anti Gravity 12 cell) and checking the fitting
P1090017.JPG

P1090019.JPG

P1090020.JPG

Done...

Next step is sand blasting the frame and soda blasting the wheels, prior a very interesting paint.... 8)
P1090029.JPG

That's all... for today... ;)

Back
Top Bottom