It spins but it will not come out!

Daftclass

It's the hex head screw that holds the fork tube to the sleeve. It spins freely however it will not come out. I tried using a screw extractor so I could pull and spin at the same time but to no avail, it remains stuck.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 285
I have found if you have the spring in the fork it is easier to remove the bolt. The tension from the spring keeps the internals from spinning freely and the bolt will unthread

Happens all the time, even with the spring inside. The only thing that works is to use an impact wrench. I have special allen bits that I have made for my impact wrench to get those suckers out.

I always wonder what type of fixture they use in the factory, if any , to tighten them....Be a handy thing to have.

Insert as long a pre-load spacer as you can manage and close up the forks, works a treat for me.

This is what I use. Two sizes, 8mm and 6mm. It's just a length cut from an allen wrench in an impact socket of the same size. I had to cut a length from an allen wrench because the typical length of a 1/2" (or 3/8") drive allen tool is sometimes too short to reach the damper bolt in forks.

ImpactAllen.jpg

I agree with ADC.. Pop it one good time with an impact and it'll come right out.

Back
Top Bottom