Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: IDLE ISSUES: Hanging Idle :(  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Rich Ard

• Site Supporter
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
Re: IDLE ISSUES: Hanging Idle :(
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2013, 13:20:07 »
I do hear what you're saying AlphaDog but is it not strange that a different set of carbs that work fine and don't piss gas had the same issues when put on the problem bike? So I agree only the carbs internal workings will make it piss but something external of the carbs is making the carbs malfunction like that. Both sets of carbs are fine. So maybe I worded it wrong by saying "build up." What I am saying is something external is making the internal workings of the carbs malaunction. What could that be?

I'm thinking peacock/ tank issues? The tank is clean (from what you can see) but maybe particles are fouling up the float needles?

Ill check the screen in the petcock and see if there's anything that would indicate anything Alien to gas.

Any other thoughts though?

You could put an inline fuel filter between the petcock and carb - best three dollars' insurance you can buy.
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline River City Rocker

• "Man is born free, and he is everywhere in chains"
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2013, 13:46:07 »
Here's some news that might help strengthen my theory about particles in the fuel fouling up the float needles.

The good carbs I took off my bike and put on the bad bike last night to test out of it was a carb issue or another issue are now pissing gas, having bad idle issues, and performing well terrible. My carbs never, ever, had any sort of issues like that up until I put them on the bad bike. So with this added to the equation, any more thoughts?
What year is that thing?

Offline AlphaDogChoppers

• Site Supporter
  • Science is true whether you believe in it or not.
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2013, 13:48:44 »
What I am saying is something external is making the internal workings of the carbs malaunction. What could that be?

Read my post again. Check your external vent hoses.

I'm thinking petcock/ tank issues? The tank is clean (from what you can see) but maybe particles are fouling up the float needles?

Ill check the screen in the petcock and see if there's anything that would indicate anything Alien to gas.

Yes, crap from the gas tank can cause the float needle valves to leak. That most likely isn't what's causing your idle issue, but it could be causing the overflow issue.

Any other thoughts though?

Stop asking questions until you have followed up on what you have already been given, fer fuck sake! It's not like we don't have other things to do. The ball is in your court. Check out the leads you have been given, THEN report back your findings. THEN we may try to come up with other ideas.

In other words, stop wasting our time by arguing and asking the same question again. We've given an avenue to follow, so follow it and report back AFTER you have checked out what we gave you.

Don't make me come over there and bitch-slap you.  ;)
...every dump I take is original too, and it doesn't smell any better because of it's originality.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs
I'm so old, I even know what ignition points are.

Offline teazer

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2013, 13:58:19 »
You suspect dirty fuel, so did you open the carbs after they leaked and drain the bowls to look for dirt? 

I'd start there.  Excess fuel sounds like the problem.  How did you set float height - upside down or on an angle?  Regardless of how many pictures show height with carbs inverted, that's not how they are set.

So far it looks like it's dirt or floats set too high.

You could swap the clean tank from your bike onto the "bad bike" and see if that fixes it and drain the bad tank and see what's going on and clean out the tank and petcock/fuel valve.   
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2013, 13:59:50 by teazer »

Offline lingo

• social pariah
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2013, 14:00:57 »
While you are at it, pull your dipstick and see if it smells like fuel. If it does, change the oil and filter
CB450K3- organ donor
CB450K3- On the road again.

Offline AlphaDogChoppers

• Site Supporter
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2013, 14:20:41 »
While you are at it, pull your dipstick

Hey, hey!, HEY!
Watch yo mouf!
...every dump I take is original too, and it doesn't smell any better because of it's originality.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs

Offline River City Rocker

• "Man is born free, and he is everywhere in chains"
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2013, 15:53:59 »
@AlphaDog I'm not trying to argue or talk in circles--I'm just mostly trying to wrap my own amateur mind around what's going on. Sorry if it came off any other way. I'm learning something new almost everyday I try to solve this problem, so thank you for being patient with me. I will take your advice and execute before responding from here on out. I also am in the garage a lot replying as soon as I look at something or like in the previous responses I literally rode my bike about 8mi. in-between replies. Again, I will now respond only after attempting everything possible. 

I don't have external vent hoses on the carbs (bracing for bitch slapping  :-[).

@teazer
I did look for dirty gas. It does have an amber hue but I didn't see any particles or chunks. The tank at one point had old liner in it but was "cleaned out" at some point.  I also set float hieghts according to the picture in the manual which shows the carbs on their backs (airbox side).

@lingo
I have a brand new OEM filter, a super clean oil pan, and fresh oil in the bike and no smelly stick  ;D.

I'll take some time to execute some ideas I have and the ones you guys gave me. Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2013, 17:32:07 by River City Rocker »
What year is that thing?

Offline AlphaDogChoppers

• Site Supporter
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2013, 16:00:04 »
Who says I'm being patient?  :)

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs

Offline teazer

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2013, 00:00:35 »
The way to set float height is to tilt the carbs until the float tang just touches the needle.  That float needle has a spring inside it (usually) and if you tilt the carbs all the way, the float level is wrong.

« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2013, 00:22:44 »
The way to set float height is to tilt the carbs until the float tang just touches the needle.  That float needle has a spring inside it (usually) and if you tilt the carbs all the way, the float level is wrong.

Apologies, but this made little sense to me (and I know how to set float height on carbs).
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline teazer

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2013, 00:32:45 »
Sp let's try that again.

The float needles in most bikes have a small pin that the float contacts.  That pin is spring loaded to allow it to seal even when the float may be moving around on say bumpy roads.

Imagine a carb the right way up with the float rising until the tang just starts to press on that pin.  That's the height the floats should typically be set to.  As the float rises further, the tang compresses the spring and can sit much higher.

Now let's see a carb on its back.  If the spring is strong enough and you are careful, the tang will just contact the spring and that will be OK.  What usually happens is that upside down the weight of the float usually compresses the spring.  If the float is set to stock spec in that position, it will be much lower when it starts to shut off fuel flow.

That's why you take a carb and slowly rotate it backwards until the tang on the floats just touches the spring loaded pin in the float needle.

A much better way is to set the actual fuel level at around 3mm below the floor of the carb throat.  That's often called the "wet setting".

Bottom line is that as long as you are consistent and your bike runs fine, it doesn't much matter how you got there. :-)

Offline AlphaDogChoppers

• Site Supporter
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:43:21 »
I think it's damned near impossible to describe it effectively to someone who has not been there, done that.

Here is a video that demonstrates just how delicate setting floats is.

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2013, 09:29:10 by AlphaDogChoppers »

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs

Offline AlphaDogChoppers

• Site Supporter
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:37:35 »
OK, I found an even better video that demonstrates tilting the carb until the float tang just touches the spring plunger in the float needle.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs

Offline teazer

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2013, 12:08:38 »
What's that old saying about pictures and thousands of words....  That is a good one

Offline AlphaDogChoppers

• Site Supporter
    • Alpha Dog Customs
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2013, 12:13:57 »
Took a while to find a good one. I've been thinking of doing a few how-to videos myself. Some things are difficult to describe, but easy to show.

Alpha Dog Custom Cycles
Painting
Powdercoating
Custom Fabrication
Repairs