Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: fitting mikuni's on CB450  (Read 958 times)

Offline schaubster

fitting mikuni's on CB450
« on: Mar 05, 2013, 13:51:57 »
I know you guys have successfully put Mikunis on a Honda CB 450 but I am having some clearance issues.  I bought Mikuni carbs and intake manifold from you guys but when I installed them the top of the carb is hitting a bolt on the valve covers.  How did you guys address this?

Offline mark13018

• "In the age of information, ignorance is a choice
Re: fitting mikuni's on CB450
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:05:24 »
You don't. It does hit. You have to remove the choke levers and it's still tight. If you use the mikuni universal carb boots you'll have slightly less clearance than the factory boots (which you can make work). ALSO the mikuni aftermarket carb boots have a different inside diameter that fits onto the cylinder so you wont get a smooth flow rate for the fuel. The factory boots are tapered from the outside to the back so they have a smooth flow rate... I would suggest NOT using the mikuni carb boots and using factory ones. If your factory ones are bad or you've tossed them already. Partspitstop.com has the cheapest prices on those that I could find. They ship fast too, I've bought from them before several times....

You probably did the same thing I did with mine and now you've spent more money and modified the mikuni carb boots to fit the bolts only to find out the cylinder head and boot inside diameter is two different sizes... I'm picky and I don't like it to be like that so I bought oem ones and use those. That's what my brother did and it works perfect but my boots were hard as rocks so I didn't think they would be as forgiving as my brothers which were still pliable.

Hope this helps.  ;D
need wire for your custom build? Click here!

1971 CL450 cafe "Project Amelia" 
1979 Kawasaki KZ650 "Blue Bessie"
1982 Kawasaki KZ305 CSR belt "Project X"
1995 Honda Magna Deluxe
1987 Honda Super Magna - sold :-(
2006 Honda CBR600RR
1964 CB77 superhawk
1965 CL72 scrambler
2013 honda metropolitan

Offline schaubster

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2013, 14:53:33 »
Wow Mark!  Really appreciate the advice.

The smooth transition from boot to cylinder was also something I noticed.  I wish DCC had made these issues more explicit.  When I bought them it sounded like all I would do is widen the bolt holes a bit and they would fit well.  Of course I didn't realize all these issues until after I drilled them out and can no longer return them.  :-\

Offline mark13018

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2013, 18:45:00 »
No problem.

I did the same thing. I've had some issues with dime city in the past also with other things too. Overall I'm very happy with them and still buy from them but you have to watch for fitament issues regularly. Good luck on your build.

1995 Honda Magna Deluxe
2006 Honda CBR600RR
1964 CB77 superhawk
1965 CL72 scrambler
2013 honda metropolitan

Offline thewingdpiston

• Site Supporter
  • DCC - Supporting Whiskey Fueled Mayhem Since 2009.
    • Dime City Cycles - Vintage Cafe Racer & Bobber Parts; Delivered Anywhere In The World!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2013, 15:54:02 »
Hey guys, sorry to hear you've had some issues.  Did either of you contact us directly?  We don't always get the chance to address everything that comes up on a forum as soon as we do if you call us or email us.

On the boots, we updated that verbiage some time ago addressing what you're mentioning above.  In addition, it's common knowledge that not all these parts, though they will fit and work, are direct bolt on.  We do our best to provide as much information as possible and have made a vast array of "kitted" items available that previously were not.

In other-words, we do our best to help with these out of the box types solutions but can't be responsible for every aspect of them.  Hope that makes sense.

Jason
--
Jason Paul Michaels | Dime City Cycles | Vintage Speed Machines

shop. www.dimecitycycles.com
call. 727-386-9735

Watch Cafe Racer TV - www.caferacertv.com
Facebook us - www.dimecitycycles.com/facebook

Offline mark13018

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2013, 18:20:13 »
PM sent

1995 Honda Magna Deluxe
2006 Honda CBR600RR
1964 CB77 superhawk
1965 CL72 scrambler
2013 honda metropolitan

Offline schaubster

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2013, 13:41:47 »
thewingdpiston -

Let me ask you something:  Did you use these intake boots on the 4 CB450 bikes you highlight on your site?