1977 CB750K Project Susanne

onetruepunk87

Been Around the Block
I picked up a 1977 CB750K off of Craigslist a little over a week ago. I posted some pictures the day I got it home but I figured I might as well start a build thread. I had been browsing Craigslist everyday for awhile now, I really enjoyed fixing up my '79 CM400T and wanted a new project to work on.

Here's the Craigslist photos of her:
CB750K1.jpg

CB750K2.jpg

When I got her home:
2013-02-23_17-29-18_153.jpg

After I trimmed the fat:
2013-03-05_17-56-38_372.jpg

So far I've just been cleaning her up a little and removing all of the bulk. Had some light rust on the chrome and a little oxidation on the aluminum, nothing serious. I took apart the caliper and cleaned it as well as changed the brake fluid to fix a frozen front brake, seems to be working now. One of the exhaust hangers is broken off so I'll have to have my dad give me a hand with his welder. I pretty much tapped out my bank account picking this up so it may be a slow start while I get some extra cash in order.

I'm gonna need a new headlight, put on some front turn signals, and change the tires before it'll pass inspection. After that I'll probably just alternate between riding this and my CM400. When I have the 750 broken down to do something I'll ride the 400, once that's back together I'll ride the 750 again until I have more cash to break it down again. Then Repeat. That's all for now.

Ha! My last build had a big ol' touring fairing and a king and queen seat. Comfy as hell but ugliest things known to bikes. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this.

Shouldn't take too much to get on the road, after that the updates will probably come one pay check at a time. I'll have to throw the fairing and other spare parts up on Craigslist, hopefully those will pay for some upgrades.

onetruepunk87 said:
Shouldn't take too much to get on the road, after that the updates will probably come one pay check at a time. I'll have to throw the fairing and other spare parts up on Craigslist, hopefully those will pay for some upgrades.
Hope you find some takers. I couldn't find ANYONE who wanted to buy my fairing. Sat in my garage until my wife finally made me get rid of it. What she doesn't realize is that I hid it away in my buddy's garage. Can't just throw that stuff out.

Haha. Yea, I don't think the majority of the people buying up these old CB's are really looking to use them as touring bikes. A guy I work with told me he had the same exact bike back in the 80's, fairing and all. He does a lot of long distance rides and he can't understand why I want to change the whole bike around. He said it was one of the most comfortable seats he ever had on a bike too. Too bad it's so damned ugly.

Oh well, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Someone's bound to want the stuff at some point, until then it's just taking up garage real estate.

How are your painted wheels holding up? I've got the same on my '77 and am planning on painting them black like you've done.

So far so good. I cleaned them up real good, scuffed them with some light sand paper, painted and cleared. I used Dupliclor wheel paint and Spraxmax 2k clear.

Hey Punk I'll be watching this one too.

Good thing we have vision and can look past the ugly huh.

Attachments

• Bought.jpg
    Bought.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 298
Haha, I don't know why anyone would hide such beautiful bikes under all of that junk. Shouldn't be as big of a challenge to pretty this up as it was for the CM400. Amazing job on yours by the way, look's like a completely different bike.

What's funny about our CM builds is I went from A "T" with the Com Stars, to an "E" type Spoked Wheels, and you went the other way.

I had my 1971 CB750K1 for about 4 years, I bought it for $400, sold the parts I took off including the Vetter Saddle Bags (Not in the Accessorized Picture) all for $150, then did Basic Road Ready stuff - cables filters etc. detailed it and rode it. I had just over $800 in it including 4 years of Maintenance. I sold it for $3,500. ;D

Attachments

• CB750K1 Paint Size.JPG
    CB750K1 Paint Size.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 328
Wow, you got that for a steal! You pretty much got paid $2700 for four years worth of fun, not a bad deal.

It was 60 degrees this weekend so I took my CM400 out for the first time since December, felt great to be back on a bike. I didn't neglect the 750 either, I did some more work just cleaning it up. Unfortunately I did stumble upon this while cleaning off the rims.
BrokenSpoke.jpg

Luckily I planned on changing the tires so it's not that big of a deal and I found the spokes on Bike Bandit, I'm just not 100% on which size spoke I need. Any help would be appreciated.
rearwheelexploded.gif

27:
SPOKE BS (8X128)

28:
SPOKE BS (8X127.5)

I'm thinking #28?

There are Inner Spokes and Outer Spokes based on the threading/position on the hub.

I think it is the Inner spokes that are a little bit shorter

Ooh fuuudge! Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words....

Out of nowhere I seemed to have developed a pinhole leak in my gas tank. So.... anyone have any thoughts on what's the best way to fix this? The leak is incredibly small. It's just above the carbs on the left hand side of the gas tank just above the bottom seem of the tank. The hole is just a dot in the center of the small circle where the paint is completely gone.

mailgooglecom.jpg

pinhole2.jpg

Should I try my luck with a tank liner like Red Kote or POR 15 while the hole is still tiny or attempt to braze the spot and hope it doesn't make it worse?

Any help is appreciated.

ole rob said:
thats a nice bike,waaaay cleaner than mine when i got it.what are in the plans for it?

Thanks rob! Short term I need to fix that gas leak. My ultimate plans are to do a cafe styled restoration. I don't want to go crazy and hack anything apart, just streamline it a little. Lower bars possibly Euro, Giuliari style seat, different turn signals, taillight and headlight, and eventually a 4-1 exhaust. Nothing that can't be reversed. Once I get far enough down the road I'd also like to paint but that'll be last. I have a pretty clear picture in my head of how I want it to look when it's all said and done. First thing's first though, I need to get it on the road.

I hadn't seen your build thread before now, I'll definitely be following along. We're the black sheep of the SOHC 750's, we've gotta stick together.

Got the pinhole soldered and did the inside of the tank with Red Kote. I have to wait for the tank to cure then I'm going to do a second coat but then I should be back to business.
2013-04-08_16-34-36_142.jpg

2013-04-08_16-33-49_490.jpg

Back
Top Bottom