www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: First time cb400 Project  (Read 49697 times)

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • You think the Carpet Pissers did this?
First time cb400 Project
« on: Jul 02, 2008, 13:28:43 »
Iím new to bikes. I got a license in Dec of '07 and purchased my first banger two weeks ago. I bought this MF'er for $875.00. It was running and braking well except it had fuel spilling from the carb over flow tube. My guess it was Ďcause the floats and needles were rusted up from the 1/8" of rust I found in the tank. I have already torn it apart in the hopes of giving it some sweet style. Now Iím waiting for parts to come in. If I can stay under 2K with out tearing the engine apart I will be pretty happy for my first bike. If this is something I like as much as I think I will, then once this one is finished and I have a few thousand miles under my ass then I want to rebuild an older 550 from the ground up. Here is what I have done so far:

Here it is when I got it home:

Some sweet electrical tape grips... You can pick them up at your local bike shop

I took the front can off to put on new indicators. There are low rise bars, new grips, bar end mirror on there.

No Tank or ugly seat after the first mods...

Stripping the tank:

After some 400grit:

I have cleaned out the tank with Rudy's Zep's Lime, Calcium and Rust remover trick and it worked wonders. Now I'm waiting for new mini gauges, a new tail light, and carb rebuild kits. I want to reshape the seat to make is smaller, modify the brakes (either dual disk or just change to a dual piston caliper with new lines and pads) and paint it. After that it should be a sweet whip to move around town and get to work in. Let me know what you think and Ill keep you posted on the progress.

Offline Kev Nemo

• Honda Hacker
    • Fallingapartart Streetwear: Destroyed By Design since 2009
Re: First time cb400 Project
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2008, 15:07:06 »
a sweeter ride than the Ferrari behind it in the garage? ;D

What's the  name of the paint stripper you used on the tank?
Fallingapartart Streetwear: Destroyed By Design since 2009 http://www.fallingapartart.com

Offline IagainstI

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2008, 15:07:29 »
is that a ferrari back there??  :o

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2008, 16:02:55 »
Ya... My pops has a 360. I couldnt really get that out of the pic.

I dont remember what the stripper was called but it was from Wal-Mart (I know I know, but it was the only place that had it).

Offline rawfish

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2008, 23:16:23 »
Careful not to get that stuff near the car :( I should know :-[

Offline Canuck Plumber

• Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!
    • Long road ahead.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2008, 20:47:21 »
Hey, awesome, another 400. Is that the CB or CM? I can never tell. I have the same frame. This'll be great to watch another 400. Nice to meet you btw. I have lots of extra parts and manuals so if you need anything let me know.

Cheers

God, grant me the serenity to accept the parts I cannot find; the courage to ride the bikes I build; and the wisdom to know when I've spent too much..

Offline kneedragger

« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2008, 01:41:00 »
Just an FYI, since you're interested in upgrading the brakes...

IIRC, back in 1981, Honda put MUCH better brakes on the '81 CB400T (the Hawk); unless I'm mistaken, they added a wider reverse Comstar front wheel (probably 2.15 x 18"; the earlier wheel was 1.85 x 18"), and installed a better (thicker yet lighter) brake rotor, a better caliper and  master cylinder, and better pads. According to the magazine articles of the day, Honda simply raided the parts bin and used the CB750F components in a single-disk setup. They also used a better (cast) triple tree, and dumped the older (and more flexible) stamped one they'd used on the earlier models... SO, just some food for thought; you might want to look for an '81 or '82 Hawk front end, including the wider wheel and all the brake components. The only drawback I can think of is that you'd then have a reverse Comstar wheel up front, and that plain Comstar in the back, though a LOT of people have drilled out the rivets and modified their Comstar wheels; I'm pretty sure that at least one of our DTT brethren has also made that mod... I for one MUCH prefer the reverse Comstar look, and I can say from firsthand experience that the standard Comstar design is a NIGHTMARE to keep clean...

Hope that information helps you...

-- kd

Offline zixxerboy

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2008, 13:58:23 »
I would think long and hard before I considered spending up to 2000$ on an old 400.

Don't get me wrong - I love vintage stuff ( none of the runners in my garage are less than 20 yeras old - the daily driver is a 79)

But for me the lure of vintage is that they're cheap too. About 2$/cc is the tops I'd pay for an old runner. My 79 KZ650 was a 1$/cc special - only needed a front tire and wiring clean up to pass the safety. I've put 10,000 trouble free kms on it since last July.

At least that's my 2 pennies

Offline Canuck Plumber

• Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!
    • Long road ahead.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2008, 03:09:52 »
Well, guess I'm over the limit. If your looking to make a return on your investment of the bike you purchased then I would have to agree on Zixxerboy's comment on the max amount to spend on this bike. Personally I've spent close to $5000 and I'm nowhere near finished on my CB400TII (Now a 450 with an engine swap). If you're doing this for the right reasons then it doesn't entirely matter how much you spend (granted, people will call you crazy... but then I like crazy). Like any hobby, bikes can suck the life out of you and your bank account if you let it... I work my arse off so I don't mind blowing money on something that will never come close to the amount I spend on it. Anyway, if you want to dump a shwack load of moola on yer bike... all the power to ya... it'll make for some great beer drinking stories later....

Cheers
God, grant me the serenity to accept the parts I cannot find; the courage to ride the bikes I build; and the wisdom to know when I've spent too much..

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2008, 02:54:22 »
Hey, awesome, another 400. Is that the CB or CM? I can never tell. I have the same frame. This'll be great to watch another 400. Nice to meet you btw. I have lots of extra parts and manuals so if you need anything let me know.

Cheers

Hey Dude,

Nice to meet you too! I like what you have done to your bike so far. Mines a CB 4. Question for you I see that you have some different exhaust tips... which ones did you get and where did you get them? Also, What about painting the wheels? Just normal rustoleum or was it like high temp?

Thanks for the response.

RT