www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1981 Kawasaki GPz550 Cafe Build  (Read 27245 times)

Offline Sam_I_Am

• Your Insurance Broker - WA & ID
Re: 1981 Kawasaki GPz550 Cafe Build
« Reply #110 on: Apr 24, 2018, 03:00:21 »
Whats the lowest CCA battery you'd recommend?
1981 GPz550 Cafe Build

Offline c4f3 r4c3r

« Reply #111 on: Apr 24, 2018, 12:10:35 »
Hey Sam_I_Am. That is really nice work you've done with that tank. I was the owner of this bike years ago and started this thread. Obviously I ran at out steam at some point (time really). I am glad to see that the GPZ lives on! There is definitely something special about the sound of that bike, like a turbo spooling up. Good luck with your build.  :D
1981 Kawasaki GPz550 Cafe Project - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=47139.0
1971 Honda SL350 original - http://sl350.blogspot.com/

Offline Sam_I_Am

« Reply #112 on: Apr 24, 2018, 15:59:10 »
Hey Sam_I_Am. That is really nice work you've done with that tank. I was the owner of this bike years ago and started this thread. Obviously I ran at out steam at some point (time really). I am glad to see that the GPZ lives on! There is definitely something special about the sound of that bike, like a turbo spooling up. Good luck with your build.  :D

So cool that you chimed in man. I haven't fired it up since I cut the exhaust. I'll post a video when its up and running again. The guy I got it from, I think he said he knew you. Do you remember his name and/or have his contact information?

I know what you mean though.. baby #2 is coming in June and I'm afraid the funding will be pulled, so I'm hustling.
1981 GPz550 Cafe Build

Offline Sam_I_Am

« Reply #113 on: Apr 26, 2018, 04:06:49 »
Building a tunnel for all the electrical to travel into the tail
1981 GPz550 Cafe Build

Offline Sam_I_Am

« Reply #114 on: Apr 26, 2018, 04:08:23 »
Looking for advice on what electrical units need to stay out in the open air and what can be tucked in the tail. Also if I can delete anything
1981 GPz550 Cafe Build

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #115 on: Apr 26, 2018, 13:10:01 »
Building a tunnel for all the electrical to travel into the tail

now THAT is a clever solution. I'm building a plastic "top tunnel" (basically an upside down tunnel) with ABS plastic that the seat will sit on top of. This is COOL and METAL. I'm a shite welder (I have a friend do most of the important stuff with metal) but I'm pretty handy with heat forming and a dremel (my metal working background was jewelry making in high school, and my workshop will be used for jewelry after I'm done with the bike) so seeing your work is really REALLY cool to me. KEEP GOING! I LOVE THIS BUILD!

My UNI TRACK is almost done but I really like the twin shock GPZ looks (enough that I'm using the tank from one on mine)

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #116 on: Apr 26, 2018, 13:12:16 »
Looking for advice on what electrical units need to stay out in the open air and what can be tucked in the tail. Also if I can delete anything

you need to have the Regulator/Rectifier in the open air or it will heat up and fry the ignition box. The ignition box needs less ventilation. The starter solenoid also should not get wet so you WANT that to be concealed or tucked. There's lots of power through there and sparking/arcing will fry it (and possibly the electronics, so make sure it's on a fuse). Battery too should be sealed from moisture. Lithium ion batteries go up in flames, but to my knowledge the lithium IRON (shorai) don't have quite the same problems.

Offline Sam_I_Am

« Reply #117 on: Apr 30, 2018, 13:15:58 »
Got home to my buddy surprised me with laying all the wire down the tray. Ready to start simplifying it. And he started bondo on the tank 👌
1981 GPz550 Cafe Build

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2018, 00:15:35 »
Just a thought for your next project, but if you create a shallow tray that fills the total width between the top tubes and drops down to be more or less level with the bottom edge of the top tubes, you would have a larger tray to work with.  That way it's easier to wire in place and some of the components way back in the tail could be mounted in the electrical tray reducing wiring weight and being invisible.
More space is always nice.

There's always a next time.  :-)

Offline Sam_I_Am

« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2018, 04:18:04 »
Slowly but surly.
1981 GPz550 Cafe Build