1976 Suzuki GT750 Smoker

seviston

Been Around the Block
DTT BOTM WINNER
My 1976 Suzuki GT750 was completed and running in 2012. This is the story of my modified Buffalo smoker.

The complete Story of "Bad Buffalo" as covered by VMOL (Vintage Motorcycles On Line)

"One Bad Buffalo"
http://www.vintagemotorcyclesonline.com/features/stories/261-one-bad-buffalo

10/30/14: So I got the Bad Buffalo out for a run today. I made a short video walk around of the bike running & riding. I also Ripped through a few turns with the Jemco pipes whaling and six pot Tokicos doing their job (remaining mindful of motorists, hidden driveways and pedestrians of course).

Entitled Bad Buffalo Smoke'n The Ton!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCcJ-_-8co8

8/26/12
Video Fly-by of Jemcos screaming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjQDDx5fm1Q

Before:
Roller_zps1e8c061d.jpg

After:
GTintheGrass_zpsbdfcacde.jpg

2013 after final tweaks & a few aesthetic changes

I grew up riding two strokes on a farm in Indiana. It all started with dirt bikes of course, Suzuki, Yamaha, Husky, Bultaco and many others. My first street bike a 1976 RD200 Smoker came in a box that my grandfather had gotten in a trade. My dad and I put that bike back together during the winter when I was 12 years old. By spring I dreamt of nothing more than getting on that bike and cruising the country back roads. Once the RD was sorted I did just that, often.

Fast forward, to my 19th summer in 1988 I found a 1972 GT 750 Buffalo in a barn with 60,000 miles showing and bird droppings two inches thick. Yeah, it was the rare hot pink/purple with white stripes model that sported the drum front brakes. After negotiating a $125.00 price with the farmer I hauled the bike home and hosed it off. After a good cleaning, flushing and points adjustment the old GT fired up. I continued on with painting the GT metallic mid-night blue, adding a cafe fairing, jetted carbs, filters and Strader 3 into 1 expansion chambers. I pretty much unknowingly ruined a future classic!!! But this was my first real venture into modified bikes. Little did I know the disease had settled deep into my bones.

I road that GT until I found my 82 GS1100 the next summer. Consequently, the poor GT ridden infrequently sat until I decided to sell it when I was moving out west to California. The GS1100 became my canvas and is still with me to this day. Fast forward again to 2012 my 43rd summer. My good friend Tim contacts me about selling his amazing, but unfinished project 1976 Suzuki GT 750. Tim and I came to an agreement and I hauled the non-runner home 18 hours round trip to Indiana from Georgia.

After roughly 120 hours of finish assembly, rewiring, adding electronic ignition, countless hours of carb testing, tuning, painting, polishing, buffing and general bonding I have a fantastic running and thoroughly beta tested GT750. NOT STOCK! The GT became my ride of choice among the Ducatis, Triumphs, Suzukis, and Hondas in my garage. This bike just pushes all of my motorcycling hot buttons, although it is a noisy hot rod and completely impractical.

The smoker made its maiden road trip to the 2012 Indianapolis Moto GP where it lapped the track in all its smokey glory. At the Cycle World Rolling Concourse the GT750 was a hit evident by the thumbs up and crowds it drew. Editor Mark Hoyer Published a rolling photo of the Buffalo on the Cycle World Magazine Face Book page, perhaps the best compliment this Smoker could ever receive.

Not bad for another dubious project two-stroke.

Suzuki GT 750 Cafe Build List:
Frame up Resto
150 PSI Hi Comp fully built motor
Copper Head Gasket
Base Plate
GSXR Rear swing arm
Hayabusa Front forks and triples
Busa 17” Wheels with 6” rear
Tokico 6 pot Brakes
Braided lines
KYB Shocks
New wiring harnesss
GS 1100E Head Light
Newtronic Ignition
Keihin Oval Slide Carbs
Custom 3 pot fuel rail
Jemco Pipes
Performance Machine Wheels (Bling)
Tarozzi Custom Rear Sets
Suzuki RE5 Tank
Custom RE5 tail
Custom seat pan & seat
Paint: PPG Blue metal flake

Many pictures of the history of the build to follow.

Your buffalo looks great.Really great.Your video reminded me of the many "Cornfield Nationals" that my brother and I used to have on our Buffalo's,RD's Etc. We would go out in the country and flog the crap out of our bikes up and down the numerous roads along the cornfields.I too had a really trick 3 way fuel log on mine, and the Rotary tank.That 8" headlight is perfect. I was sure hoping you would have twisted that throttle a little harder though!

Indy Moto GP 2012 Cycle World Rolling Concours
GPSunriseGSHeadlight.jpg

Far from ready but one version before final iteration
IMG_0324_zps9075ee2b.jpg

GSXR Swingarm dual shock weld up
PICT0253_zps0ded5456.jpg

Tarozzi rearsets custom bracket
IMG_0777_zpsdee86069.jpg

Box O Carbs! Keihin 34mm Oval slides
IMG00074-20091210-1735_zps3b6d9724.jpg

Tail box welded up. Cut out from rear third of an extra Suzuki RE5 tank. The lines flow perfectly from tank to tail.
Tailbuild_zps5339be4f.jpg

Beginning of seat pan taking shape
Seatpanbuild_zpsaa6bdc91.jpg

Frenched in tail light into the RE5 tail
FrenchTail_zpscbbc7e4a.jpg

Tail light bucket
TailLight_zps323f033f.jpg

I'm using 34 PJ's on my bike as well... What do you think of them on your bike?
They work very well for me but I had to buy lots of needles getting them sorted!

Walms said:
I'm using 34 PJ's on my bike as well... What do you think of them on your bike?
They work very well for me but I had to buy lots of needles getting them sorted!

I really like the Keihin PJ's. In my experience they are very easy to tune. I have a full jet kit for them with 10 jet ranges and 4 needle sizes. I tuned them by optimal two-stroke plug color. I am fortunate to live in the country so when I was doing my High RPM throttle chop plug reads it was easy to chop the throttle pull over and read. With the PJ's I can change needles or heights in less than 5 minutes on all 3 carbs on the side of the road. The needles and taper choice are the key on PJ's to tuning them correctly. Here are some pics of fitment for any of you guys that are thinking of using them.

GTCarbBank.jpg

11Motorright_zps5ce6891f.jpg

1Motorleft_zpscd3aa7ad.jpg

12MotorRight_zpsbed66bde.jpg

Very nice. What did you use for intake rubbers? K model or did you find something that worked to mate the smaller carbs to those ridiculously large OEM intake stubs?

teazer said:
Very nice. What did you use for intake rubbers? K model or did you find something that worked to mate the smaller carbs to those ridiculously large OEM intake stubs?

I used K model boots since I have several sets of them and they work great.

jimmer said:
Your buffalo looks great.Really great.Your video reminded me of the many "Cornfield Nationals" that my brother and I used to have on our Buffalo's,RD's Etc. We would go out in the country and flog the crap out of our bikes up and down the numerous roads along the cornfields.I too had a really trick 3 way fuel log on mine, and the Rotary tank.That 8" headlight is perfect. I was sure hoping you would have twisted that throttle a little harder though!

Ha, Ha, Ha, Yes the "Cornfield Nationals". I have endoed a few bikes down the corn fields in my early years racing my brother too, really! The back roads is where I like to do most of my R&D for sure. Yeah twisting the grip harder will levitate the front wheel on my Buffalo. Maybe in a future video. The 6" wide rear wheel lights up nicely through the first 3 gears. Thanks, Sean

On board the Buffalo Smoker for a ride. Enjoy the Jemco chambers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83SQYrvk8B0
Finished tail tank and seat. But how did we get here? Photos below.
a508d75b-ba55-417f-a59d-7fc54f78ceeb_zpsedbf0647.jpg

Tail Built, a little bit more trimming to do
Tail1_zpsa4c5eab3.jpg

Seat pan built
SwingSeat_zps3c4baaf2.jpg

Look at that UGLY RE5 tank
RE5Tank_zpsf462af0f.jpg

Primed & Filled, reassembly, test fit, ready for paint
GTSeatPan_zpsfcd248ea.jpg

Early Birds in good company at Moto GP 2012
GPSunrise.jpg

Under seat tray where the Newtronic Ignition will go
toolboxtail_zpsa7882af1.jpg

Sub-frame bracket for tail and under-tray all welded up
TailFramebuild_zps3a92a264.jpg

Tank T-bar retainer
IMG_0273_zpsbd6a74e9.jpg

Almost ready to lay down some color
TailPrimed_zps274cefd3.jpg

But first a seat mock-up
GTPre-Paint_zps9007a260.jpg

A visual on the potential shape of the future seat
GTSeatMockup_zps19edf013.jpg

Do you have a pic of the oil pump cable adapter bracket? I need to make one for one of my GT750s and might as well borrow a good idea.

teazer said:
Do you have a pic of the oil pump cable adapter bracket? I need to make one for one of my GT750s and might as well borrow a good idea.

Sure Teazer, I hope this helps.

Bracket welded with .25" bar stock and sheet and a 10mm nut tacked on. The adjustment/guide bolt is drilled down the center
fa7f1bc6-cf74-48e6-aad8-bbcdffec7556_zpsf99cbc88.jpg

5a41783d-6b62-402f-9a99-de3ab3fb4b56_zpsc0dc0d35.jpg

Thanks. That's nice and simple. I like the way it uses the stock cover for support. Mine has the cover off for a TPS on the pump lever, so that's not an option for me but it gives me some ideas. Thanks

teazer said:
Thanks. That's nice and simple. I like the way it uses the stock cover for support. Mine has the cover off for a TPS on the pump lever, so that's not an option for me but it gives me some ideas. Thanks

Actually Teazer, you can use the bracket either with the cover or no cover. I run without the pump cover sometimes with the bracket in place buy using an aluminum spacer on the lower bolt and it works perfectly. With this set-up I can run without the face cover or the entire pump cover since the bracket bolts to the stock cover mounts in the block. When I first started-up the rebuilt motor and was tuning it I wanted to make sure the pump was sealed, not leaking and functioning correctly so I ran it uncovered for some time. Also it allowed me to inspect the oil lines to ensure they were flowing oil and free of air bubbles.

I simply meant that a cover is not an option with TPS which complicates things a little. Thanks again for sharing the details. I'll crank up the old gas ave later this evening and see if I can stick some metal pieces together.

Back
Top Bottom