www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CB350 cafe, a mix of old school & new  (Read 15404 times)

Offline K4

CB350 cafe, a mix of old school & new
« on: Apr 24, 2013, 11:18:24 »
Owned a few bikes over the years, and always wanted to build a cafe. Found & joined this forum recently. Have gotten some ideas and inspiration - Thanks!

I like some of the cues of the old school with the seats, tanks, rear sets and paint schemes. Also like new technology, so a mono-shock swingarm & inverted forks are on the list. Planning on keeping the 350 engine and do some performance mods. Not too radical. Maybe a Megacycle cam, Wiseco pistons, port & polish the heads and a custom exhaust.

This won't be a quick project. Hope to have it done by spring/2014.
Here's a few pics of the bike, parts and work so far.
Welcome any suggestions & comments you might have.  Thanks

1972 CB350 just after I got it.

'99 CBR600 swingarm & brakes (probably not the best choice, but the price was right)

'08 GSX-R750 forks

Not sure these will work, but they're from a Yamaha Rhino.

Thinking about this for the speedo & tach. The gauges can be ordered with just about any span, and they can swap the speedo & tach, so the tach is the larger gauge. Not 100% sure... its kinda large, 4" dia., and its a bit pricey

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4-DUALGPS-ST-01T/1/Dual-Gauge---120mph-GPS-speedometer---8K-Tachometer-(w--turn-signal-and-high-beam)

Plan on using the stock rear CBR wheel and front GSXR wheel. Front wheel hasn't arrived yet, but here's the rear in the process of blasting it before powder coat.

The stock CBR axle is larger (and longer) than the CB350, so I took out the frame bushings by heating the frame tube with a propane torch and working them out with a brass drift.

Put them on the lathe and opened the holes. Only had a 25/32 bit and I needed another 0.002", so I used a brake hone to finish sizing them. Here they are back in the frame. I'll weld outer supports to frame also.

Pic after frame was media blasted, some brackets removed and the swingarm in position (before bushings were re-sized)

Sprocket alignment will be a challenge. With a rough measurement; it looks like the CBR rear sprocket is wider by about an inch, compared to the stock engine sprocket on the 350.

Initial thought is to weld a section of a counter shaft onto the original. This will take machinery I don't have. Fortunately; I have a friend that might be able to help me out. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
Re: CB350 cafe, a mix of old school & new
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2013, 11:30:53 »
I'm in. Tear it up, Ray.
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline GmanGS450

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2013, 11:38:09 »
Nice build, and NICE SHOP. Are you gona throw a CBR600 engine in that thing too?
-Built, not Bought-

Offline K4

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2013, 22:46:32 »
Thanks Rich

Thanks Gman, barn was built in 1992 and slowly morphed into a place where I work on cars & bikes.

Won't be using a CBR600 engine. Plans are to keep the 350 and do some performance upgrades.
----------------------------------------------------

Not a lot to update, but did install the All Balls conversion. Went smoothly; only hitch was the bottom of the frame head had to be ground to allow clearance for the triple tree.

Marker lines is how much had to be taken off.

After installing the forks; strapped the frame to the hoist and put the front & rear wheel on.

Initially set the ride height & rake angle by using a piece of scrap strap.

Used a piece of angle iron to replace the strap. The rear suspension and sprocket alignment are next.
Here's a few pics of the work so far.

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2013, 10:52:03 by K4 »

Offline K4

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 21:32:34 »
Took the engine apart to clean it a bit. Put the cases, cylinder & head back together to check sprocket alignment.

Here's some pics of the engine

Engine back in frame (temporarily)

Waiting on the rear sprocket. Then I can start to look at how to align them. Rough measurement is about 3/4" offset from one sprocket to the other.

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 01:08:37 »
What's new?
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline GmanGS450

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 12:52:03 »
Yeah, how is the headway on making a rear shock mount? Any progress on this bad boy?
-Built, not Bought-

Offline DesertLab

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 15:20:43 »
Nice!

Offline elduderino

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2013, 07:01:50 »
Any updates? I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Offline K4

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:48:43 »
Took some time off. Sorry for the delay. Haven't done a whole lot, but here's some updates.

Bracing for mono shock top connection (pic before final welding)

Right side bushing in place ('99 & '00 CBR swingarm has a fixed right bearing, and the left one floats in/out)

Left hand bushing in place - pipe section is just a spacer. Wasn't going to have outrigger supports, but they'll be part of the final frame, more on this later