www.townmoto.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.moto-madness.com

www.rustrev.com

www.monstercraftsman.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: USD Fork swap.....what should i make this bushing out of????  (Read 1225 times)

Offline MILLENNIUM FALCON

Re: USD Fork swap.....what should i make this bushing out of????
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 15:49:08 »
I think we can all agree that "catastrophic failure" is generally a bad thing. HAHA

I wise man once said......."No movement = No wear."

I have everything assembled I will upload some pictures later. I made the bushings with shoulders on them so they have absolutely no where to go. I had to freeze the stem and heat the bushing prior to pressing them on to get them to fit without damage. Everything tightened up nicely. My plan is to ride it for awhile checking it for play after a few rides. In the meantime I may look for a new rm stem. I found out 1 model year newer bikes use a 30mm stem so I wouldn't need a bushing. Like previously stated I think if anything does happen it will be a condition that slowly gets worse over time. I doubt the front half of my bike will explode while cruising down a fire road.....but you never know haha.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 18:14:58 »
Took it for a ride today.....handled great and felt much better than stock... Ill update you on the bushing wear.
So Far I have a total of $53 in the fork swap. :)

Offline Rich Ard

• Site Supporter
  • like Marlon Brando...BUT BIGGER
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 18:17:10 »
I think we can all agree that "catastrophic failure" is generally a bad thing. HAHA

I wise man once said......."No movement = No wear."

I have everything assembled I will upload some pictures later. I made the bushings with shoulders on them so they have absolutely no where to go. I had to freeze the stem and heat the bushing prior to pressing them on to get them to fit without damage. Everything tightened up nicely. My plan is to ride it for awhile checking it for play after a few rides. In the meantime I may look for a new rm stem. I found out 1 model year newer bikes use a 30mm stem so I wouldn't need a bushing. Like previously stated I think if anything does happen it will be a condition that slowly gets worse over time. I doubt the front half of my bike will explode while cruising down a fire road.....but you never know haha.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested to see how you put this together.
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline o1marc

• Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 18:42:02 »
Ive spent hours searching and calling. Ive tried all the companies around. the bearing i need doesn't exist.  haha. I tried all balls. I ended up ordering my bearings from them but they are perfect.....but as close as I can get. If you can find it ill order it haha. making this bushing will be very simple. Much less work than a new stem. I was just getting some opinions on what material to make it out of.

Here are the sizes i need.

28x47x15

28x55x17

Did you really mean this "I ended up ordering my bearings from them but they are perfect.....but as close as I can get."?
What did you give for the front forks?

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 19:35:12 »
Yeah I meant it...lol. That was the whole delema. No one makes a bearing with the right shaft size with te od I needed. I got it all figured out now.

When you say. "How it was put together" do you mean the forks or the bike? 

I traded a guy on CL staright up for a xt parts motor I didn't need. That is why my cost is so low.

Offline Steve F

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 23:39:52 »
A mate made a stainless steel sleeve for me, the lip stops it working its way up through the bearing, it also made it easier to press on.  The bearing was then pressed on to the sleeve.  I dont see any wear issues with this and it should last just fine, cost was very cheap as well.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Rich Ard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 23:43:54 »
Very cool. It's a snug fit on the stem i presume?

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline Steve F

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 23:47:55 »
Yep used some pipe on the lip to press it on the stem and then the same process to press the bearing on the sleeve.  The lip also acts as a spacer so the bearing is raised to the right spot and the lower triple clears the frame.

Cheers
Steve

Offline mydlyfkryzis

• Site Supporter
  • 当有疑问时踢你的敌人在生殖器上,你可以道歉后
    • CB360 Build
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 00:07:27 »
I like it, but being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I would of put a drop of strong loctite on the inside of the sleeve, just for insurance.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 20:04:21 by mydlyfkryzis »
There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary and those who don't
Ignorance is bliss....and there are a lot of happy people out there!
AlphaDogChoppers: "A friend of mine once said, "There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots."
"if you need a hammer to do something...  you are probably doing it wrong" - LazloH

DTT Blue CB360 Club - We discriminate!
Mydlyfkryzis = Mid Life Crisis
------------------------------------------
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
1976 Honda CB360t
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41649.new#new

Offline Steve F

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 00:25:50 »
Funny you should say that, forgot to mention that :) Although I'm not sure how much stayed there.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline o1marc

• Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 00:31:05 »
Yeah I meant it...lol. That was the whole delema. No one makes a bearing with the right shaft size with te od I needed. I got it all figured out now.

When you say. "How it was put together" do you mean the forks or the bike? 

I traded a guy on CL staright up for a xt parts motor I didn't need. That is why my cost is so low.

Read it again and tell me that's what you meant.

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 01:11:35 »
This is exactly what I did. I'm glad it worked out for you. I hope I have similar results.

A mate made a stainless steel sleeve for me, the lip stops it working its way up through the bearing, it also made it easier to press on.  The bearing was then pressed on to the sleeve.  I dont see any wear issues with this and it should last just fine, cost was very cheap as well.

Cheers
Steve

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 01:13:49 »
I meant to say..."they aren't perfect. 30mm I.D bearings as a close as I could get. I needed 28mm.

Read it again and tell me that's what you meant.

Offline Rich Ard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 01:20:53 »
So when he does it, its cool? lol  ;)

Ha! I didn't realize that it wasn't a picture of your setup.