www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Teledan's XT500 project  (Read 13862 times)

Offline xb33bsa

Re: Teledan's XT500 project
« Reply #40 on: Jun 16, 2016, 19:43:07 »
it looks fantsastic ride the goddam thing and enjoy it
unless you hate money and time,its a huge waste of both  powder coating the frame and shit ,unless you are building it strictly as a show bike
and raise the front back up where it belongs
it doesn't look good dropped down more importantly may not  handle good that way,never start out with the handling set to the squirley end of the range

Offline teledan

« Reply #41 on: Jun 17, 2016, 19:32:40 »
...and raise the front back up where it belongs
it doesn't look good dropped down more importantly may not  handle good that way,never start out with the handling set to the squirley end of the range

Thanks!  I will take that advice sir.  I also would like to get a fork brace to stiffen it up a bit.  I'd like to ride it a little without it first just so I know how much of a difference it makes.

Offline teledan

« Reply #42 on: Jun 17, 2016, 19:44:16 »
Oh yeah, and I made up a little dust cover for the left side of the front wheel (where the other brake rotor would have been). 

I need to get a pic of it on the bike but I think it makes the front wheel look so much more complete. 

Offline teledan

« Reply #43 on: Aug 11, 2016, 17:59:34 »
Here is a pic of the cover on the front wheel:

Also, I got her running!  My CDI was bad though so I had to get a new one.  I ordered one from Rex's Speedshop in the UK.  They put out a great product.

I also made an exhaust hanger but I don't have a picture of that yet.  I've still got a few more things to work out before I can get it on the road, then I need to clean up and paint a bunch of stuff. 

Online JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #44 on: Aug 12, 2016, 07:33:20 »
It's a good looking scoot.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline coyote13

« Reply #45 on: Aug 12, 2016, 11:44:12 »
Looking very good!

As far as a fork brace is concerned, I rode a Sportster without one and literally thought the bike was trying to kill me in turns.  After slapping a brace on it tracked into turns super smooth and easy.  It's a real fatass compared to your 500, but the point remains.  A good brace goes a long way to improving performance!
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline teledan

« Reply #46 on: Aug 12, 2016, 12:25:34 »
Thanks guys! 

What would be a good way to cut a piece of closed-cell foam sheet for a seat pad?  I was thinking of using a jig saw but figured I would check to see if anyone had a better suggestion. 

Offline coyote13

« Reply #47 on: Aug 12, 2016, 13:12:47 »
A lot of guys use electric turkey carving knives, blades are a little more rigid than jigsaw for sculpting.  I'm sure either would work fine to rough out a shape

Edit:  on second though, a jigsaw may eat up the foam and chew it up since it doesn't have dual blades to hold the material in place as they move in opposite directions.  Turkey carver should work
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2016, 13:14:37 by coyote13 »
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline Nj732port

« Reply #48 on: Aug 15, 2016, 09:32:53 »
do a quick rough cut with any long knife or a razor then smooth and shape with a flap wheel on a grinder. it makes a mess like a snow globe but every thing you trim with it will be nice and smooth

Offline teledan

« Reply #49 on: Aug 15, 2016, 09:53:03 »
Thanks guys, I think I might try a coping saw to rough it out and then sand it smooth.  We'll see how it goes.