www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Teledan's XT500 project  (Read 15906 times)

Offline Nj732port

Re: Teledan's XT500 project
« Reply #50 on: Aug 15, 2016, 11:17:07 »
Thanks guys, I think I might try a coping saw to rough it out and then sand it smooth.  We'll see how it goes.

try a couple different cutting tools see what you like best but the flap disc on a grinder is the ultimate finisher!

Offline teledan

« Reply #51 on: Aug 17, 2016, 16:23:49 »
I used a coping saw and it cut very easily but it is pretty rough so I will try the flapdisc to clean it all up.  I rode the bike to work yesterday to see how it would ride, it ran and rode well.  I will probably need to make a beefier license plate bracket. 

Here's another pic of the bike just for fun :)

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
Teledan's XT500 project
« Reply #52 on: Aug 17, 2016, 16:29:13 »
Bike looks nice man. Depends on the density of foam you've got, but I use a woodworking pull saw fine tooth to rough cut and a hasp to smooth the foam. Works well for me and a quick sand to smooth it over. Packing tape over it before ya glass. Flap wheel works but I don't like to risk pulling off too much material.

Edit: just saw you're making a seat pad. Yoga mat may be a bit more comfortable than closed cell.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #53 on: Aug 17, 2016, 21:15:03 »
+1 to the brace and +10000 to the bike. Super rad stuff man. Super rad.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline teledan

« Reply #54 on: Aug 18, 2016, 18:49:07 »
Thanks guys!  I roughed out the pad with a coping saw.  It cut real easily but is pretty rough so I will need to clean it up.  It is the Minicell from here:

http://www.foamforyou.com/minicell_foam.htm

Offline Nj732port

« Reply #55 on: Aug 22, 2016, 10:52:12 »
I used a coping saw and it cut very easily but it is pretty rough so I will try the flapdisc to clean it all up.  I rode the bike to work yesterday to see how it would ride, it ran and rode well.  I will probably need to make a beefier license plate bracket. 

Here's another pic of the bike just for fun :)

I had my first plate in that location, it broke off got sucked under the subframe then launched off the tire and smacked right under my ass. second one I made a little sturdier and mounted it off the passenger peg and that shook its self apart again. my next one will have rubber spacers and hopefully that doesn't fall apart. I currently have my plate zip tied to my back pack :o

Offline teledan

« Reply #56 on: Aug 22, 2016, 16:44:45 »
I thought about making a side-mount for it but I really like the narrower more symmetrical look. I don't like how the rear mount breaks up the side profile though.  I think for now i will do another mount exactly the same but out of thicker material.  Then if that doesn't work I may do a side-mount, probably off of the left shock somewhere. 

Offline Nj732port

« Reply #57 on: Aug 24, 2016, 12:55:49 »
I thought about making a side-mount for it but I really like the narrower more symmetrical look. I don't like how the rear mount breaks up the side profile though.  I think for now i will do another mount exactly the same but out of thicker material.  Then if that doesn't work I may do a side-mount, probably off of the left shock somewhere.

i like it back there too looks good only reason i switched it was because of the falling off situation.

Offline ArBrnSnpr

« Reply #58 on: Sep 04, 2016, 13:32:30 »
It smells terrible but I cut the foam for my seat with a soldering iron.  I have a Weller D550PK 120v gun style soldering iron that came with a flat looped tip.  I use it all the time for cutting rope and not having a frayed end so I figured it would work well on the seat foam, which it did.

I suggest wearing a respirator and working outside though.

Offline teledan

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2018, 16:29:08 »
Its been a while but I picked up an EBC rotor recently for the front. I think it looks pretty good on that wheel.