1974 Kawi G4 Expansion Chamber Build

Wish I had a TIG welder. I recently acquired a MIG welder and have access to a small acetylene torch. I think going to try the MIG with gas and the 'tack, wait... tack, wait... tack, wait...' method.

What I did is tack it with mig then I gas welded it as I don't have a tig. I would not recommend trying to mig weld it, it will look like bird crap on there trust me. Tacking with mig is way easier than tacking with oxy/acetylene. After you tack it sand the tacks down flush then it is easier to go over with the gas torch.

Duly noted. This will be interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully have some progress to report soon.

650hardtail said:
consider a cheap harborfreight slip roller

I bought one thinking it was going to be only temporary but 120 pipes later it still works great with 22ga.
Btw, I sell rolled kits for the G4... $140, includes flange, rolled and ready for welding.
It is a low pipe though.
If interested shoot me an email at walms@hotmail.com

I bought one thinking it was going to be only temporary but 120 pipes later it still works great with 22ga.
Btw, I sell rolled kits for the G4... $140, includes flange, rolled and ready for welding.
It is a low pipe though.

I'm going to take a shot at the whole process by myself first. However, I will definitly keep this information in mind just in case I get stuck. That's awesome that you have a 'kit'. How many other bikes do you do pipes for?

Understandable... ;)
I've only offer kits for the Kawi triples 350,400,500 and 750.
Last year I bought a G3SS for my daughter, this is the only none triple pipe so far.

So the small slip roll should work well for you... Just use 22 ga. Plenty strong enough.
Another thing you might find handy is a set of mandrels for pounding the last 10% into submission... Hardwood turned on a lathe is fine for this.
The toughest part you will find is cutting the pieces accurately enough that you won't get "laps and gaps" make the effort here to get the flat layouts cut as accurately as possible. Sending the dxf files to a laser cutter will make your life much easier but maybe not practical for just 1 pipe.
Good luck with it, it's a rewarding experience in the end!

Walms is right, it is very rewarding when you see the pipe bolted on the bike knowing that you built it!

Finally making some progress...

After everyone's advice on this thread I've been working on acquiring tools and new skills. Picked up a Grizzly slip roller and a HF TIG welder. Included some pics of the results I'm getting. Excited to be finally getting somewhere after 6 months.

Now that I know the process works and I have what I need I'm going to go through each piece of the design one more time to make sure everything fits up. Anyone have a cheap 2T muffler that they want to sell? PM me.

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    478.4 KB · Views: 284
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 290
  • P1010007(1).JPG
    P1010007(1).JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 278
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 269
Actually, I like the looks of that slip roll, it looks more refined than mine.
Nice work!

Back
Top Bottom