www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: New DTT member 360T build  (Read 31872 times)

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
Re: New DTT member 360T build
« Reply #130 on: Aug 20, 2015, 23:27:40 »
No tubeless tires on stock rims without a tube.

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #131 on: Aug 21, 2015, 00:12:48 »
I was on the side stand... I'll redo my check on center.

That's what I thought about the tube issue.

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2016, 22:26:05 »
I'M BACK!

It’s been a long time but I'm finally back at it. Last week I completely ripped the bike apart to get to the cause of my blowing oil issue, the lowish compression, poor fuel economy, and tires that were too dangerous to roll down the road. Started the rebuild with new rim strips, tubes, and a set of stock size Avon Roadriders. Ripped the engine down to replace the rings and found that both pistons had the top rings cracked through but no damage to the cylinder walls. Replaced the rings with a new set from commonmotor.com, cleaned all the carbon buildup off the pistons, valves and cylinder head and put it all back together with new gaskets. Gaped the valves and set the timing. Replace my broken carburetor float bowl gaskets and did a quick cleanup. Flushed the gas tank and installed new petcock seals. Got the bike all put back together and with a new battery.

Trying to start the bike and all im getting is loud pops from the exhaust but it won’t fire and turn over. I’ve been following the instructions from my Clymer manual and from some youtube videos. Any tips on troubleshooting my issues would be much appreciated.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2016, 22:36:02 »
I'M BACK!

It’s been a long time but I'm finally back at it. Last week I completely ripped the bike apart to get to the cause of my blowing oil issue, the lowish compression, poor fuel economy, and tires that were too dangerous to roll down the road. Started the rebuild with new rim strips, tubes, and a set of stock size Avon Roadriders. Ripped the engine down to replace the rings and found that both pistons had the top rings cracked through but no damage to the cylinder walls. Replaced the rings with a new set from commonmotor.com, cleaned all the carbon buildup off the pistons, valves and cylinder head and put it all back together with new gaskets. Gaped the valves and set the timing. Replace my broken carburetor float bowl gaskets and did a quick cleanup. Flushed the gas tank and installed new petcock seals. Got the bike all put back together and with a new battery.

Trying to start the bike and all im getting is loud pops from the exhaust but it won’t fire and turn over. I’ve been following the instructions from my Clymer manual and from some youtube videos. Any tips on troubleshooting my issues would be much appreciated.

Swap the wires from your points.

For instance, if you have yellow to yellow and blue to blue, go blue to yellow and yellow to blue.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2016, 23:38:47 »
Thanks for the quick reply, switched the wires and it seems to be trying to backfire now. In the morning I think I'm going to completely take the points off and start again. Following the book to the t

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2016, 23:50:13 »
Make sure the advancer lobe is installed correctly.

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2016, 01:39:51 »
So after troubleshooting the bike for a while I found out that my cam was installed with the rotor on the wrong stroke thus making my bike try to fire backwards. Also had the worst point gap so there was almost never a spark. Luckily it didn't for as it would have probably blown my carbs to bits.

It is back the right way now and running real good. Put 80 miles on it tonight.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2016, 19:59:06 »
The points cam on advancer mechanism is the only thing that can be placed 180 degrees 'out' There are plenty of images and instructions how it should be fitted (I know because I'm the only person who ever posted them)
It isn't possible to fit the cam 180 degrees 'out', it turns at half crankshaft speed so next revolution it will be 'right'
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #138 on: Jun 14, 2016, 20:10:11 »
Bike has been running perfect for weeks and after work today started to make weird noises. The lower pitch tick/tap

I just went over the valve gaps, point gaps, cam chain tension, it's good on oil and flowing up to the cam. Any ideas?

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2016, 20:13:12 by kagraves »

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #139 on: Jun 15, 2016, 00:02:16 »
Exhaust leak???

From some searching that seems to be likely, can it do damage if I ride it?

I see some exhaust gases escape from the engine/header intersection every once and a while, but why all of a sudden the noise...