www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: New DTT member 360T build  (Read 31873 times)

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: New DTT member 360T build
« Reply #150 on: Jul 30, 2016, 17:57:59 »
make sure the points cover isnt contacting/grounding at the wire connection for the points.  Or the wire connector isnt grounding at the connection (check the little insulating washers are installed properly on the connection on the points) or not grounding on the head.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2016, 18:00:20 by trek97 »

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #151 on: Jul 30, 2016, 18:05:09 »
Swap coils and see if problem moves w coil or remains on left side, w known good right coil.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #152 on: Aug 01, 2016, 10:26:33 »
make sure the points cover isnt contacting/grounding at the wire connection for the points.  Or the wire connector isnt grounding at the connection (check the little insulating washers are installed properly on the connection on the points) or not grounding on the head.

+1

On a Honda twin, if you lose spark on one side it either the points or the battery 95% of the time.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #153 on: Aug 01, 2016, 21:03:58 »
If you swap plug wires side to side, you also have to swap points wires at the coils.
Most common issue is points wire grounding out either on cover or the backplate
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #154 on: Aug 01, 2016, 22:23:55 »
I'm thinking that it's the points. The left set has a small crater in the center that seems to deep to take a pint file to. The plug boot was also loose, so that want helping any. I cooped the end of the wire and screwed the boot back on. Much better reading for checking the coil now. I have a parts guy near me that had a 360 in parts so I'm going to give him a call for some points.

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #155 on: Aug 01, 2016, 22:36:16 »
I'm thinking that it's the points. The left set has a small crater in the center that seems to deep to take a pint file to. The plug boot was also loose, so that want helping any. I cooped the end of the wire and screwed the boot back on. Much better reading for checking the coil now. I have a parts guy near me that had a 360 in parts so I'm going to give him a call for some points.

Most Honda dealers can get you a good replacement set, if you are gonna replace them I wouldn't put used points on there as they may be worn as well. I think I paid $30-35 for points and condenser "ignition tune-up kit" at the dealer - and they had it in stock.

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #156 on: Aug 01, 2016, 22:55:19 »
ya just started looking them up and at that prove ill be getting a new set, i made sure the cover wasn't shorting out the points with moving the wires and while running with the cover off. im out of town teaching for the next 2 weeks so dont have any bike time, ut perfect to order these parts to get on the bike asap.

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #157 on: Aug 01, 2016, 23:05:41 »
wondering what peoples experiences with the PAMCO ignitions are like. Found these for $190, although I'm not looking to put that money into the bike at the moment.

http://4into1.com/pamco-ignition-with-electronic-advance-honda-cb360-cl360-cj360t/

is it a noticeable difference for performance and reliability or more so that you can set it and forget it?

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #158 on: Aug 02, 2016, 19:55:05 »
I don't have experience of the Pamco but he's been around a while, was originally on XS650 Garage if I remember right?
Anyway, I do have some experience of electronic ignition on CB360's.
It's a major upgrade and worth the cash
Bike starts easier and runs much better as long as if it stays in one piece.
In my opinion, the issue seems to be the CB360 heads run hotter than CB350 or XS650, probably because of unitary construction instead of separate cam carriers with gaskets (may not be much but it does make a difference)
I think Pete has been doing some tweaking to keep it reliable plus, I think he has a settable rev limiter? (been years since I looked at specifications)
Dyna doesn't seem able to last more than a few thousand miles, even with slots cut in the outer cover to help it stay cool (you probably know heat is the major issue with electronics, makes them 'age' real fast then break)
when you start getting over 200f (normal for 360) it's only a matter of time before it breaks.
The Pamco has separate 'blue box' which can be mounted somewhere way cooler,
 If the hall effect sensors fail they are relatively easy and cheap(ish) to swap out with new ones but I think they may be upgraded to military/NASA/aircraft spec now? (probably 10~20 times the price but still less than $10.00 each  ;D )
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2016, 20:01:15 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline kagraves

• Kyle Graves Portfolio
« Reply #159 on: Sep 02, 2016, 23:49:09 »
Got the new points in and the bike was running great.

Until I was heading to work yesterday and the bike started to act up and make a lot of noise. Got to work and parked it. Checked it out when I got off work thinking it was the valves/cam chain. Nothing helped. Got a friend to trailer it back to my place where I took it apart. come to find the bolts for the chain tensioner holder backed out, one had come off and was crushed. Further searching for damage found this

crack in the cam... FML.

Anyone got a cam laying around?
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2016, 02:00:58 by kagraves »