www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Simplified Wiring Digrams  (Read 108335 times)

Offline armand5000

Re: Simplified Wiring Digrams
« Reply #130 on: Feb 26, 2018, 22:03:16 »
Barebones diagram for the Honda twins and singles.  Only enough to get the bike running and keep it that way.  No lights, signals, or gauges included.  Though not pictured, I recommend a 5A fuse on the black wire leading to the coils.

APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE IF ALREADY ASKED:

I am converting a (non-running) CB-100 to a full-time dirt-tracker.  (I never intend on taking this bike on the street)

I would rather NOT use a battery, kickstart only.  Can I use this same diagram (BAREBONES) and put (something) in place of the battery?

Resistor/Capacitor/straight connection?  (this is a 6V setup as-is)

THANK YOU!
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2018, 22:06:45 by armand5000 »

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #131 on: Feb 26, 2018, 23:39:58 »
Capacitor, maybe. The early Hondas really don't like to be run without a battery, but if you can get it to idle without out one, go for it.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline dwysywd

« Reply #132 on: Feb 11, 2019, 21:52:06 »
@Sonreir, It looks like its been a year since anyone asked about wiring diagrams. I have read through all 14 pages, I am building a basic CB550 with new wire harness. I wanted to only have a headlight, stop/tail, and charging system with battery. Does my system setup change if I eliminate points in favor of an electronic ignition setup? I bought one a long time ago and now I can't find it, so I haven't decided if I am going to buy one again or not. That is why I am asking. Also, do you have a simple CB500/550 setup? Hopefully you can assist. Thanks in advance.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #133 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:47:02 »
@Sonreir, It looks like its been a year since anyone asked about wiring diagrams. I have read through all 14 pages, I am building a basic CB550 with new wire harness. I wanted to only have a headlight, stop/tail, and charging system with battery. Does my system setup change if I eliminate points in favor of an electronic ignition setup? I bought one a long time ago and now I can't find it, so I haven't decided if I am going to buy one again or not. That is why I am asking. Also, do you have a simple CB500/550 setup? Hopefully you can assist. Thanks in advance.

That should be a pretty simple harness to make. If you wanted to tackle the work, I'd be happy to provide assistance. I could also take care of it for you, if you wanted.

I've attached a wiring diagram to start from, in case you wanted to give it a shot. Before beginning the work, plan out the job. Look over the diagram and find the things you want to remove (start with easier stuff like turn signals and warning lights). Get used to what each color of wire does. If you're not sure, please feel free to ask. You don't want to make changes until you understand the impact it will have.

For instance, lets say you wanted to remove the starter motor and go kick only. Start at the motor and see which wires are connected. There's going to be one thick black cable running to the solenoid (aka starter magnetic switch). Understanding the purpose of the solenoid is next. If you don't know what it does, you can't be sure if it can be removed. In this case, a solenoid is just a high current switch and it's used only for the starter motor, so we're OK to remove it. That means all the wires connected to the solenoid can be removed as well, but only so far. If a wire connects to more than one place in the harness, you can't remove all of it. You can only remove it up to the place where it connects in with other wires. In this example, the black wire from the solenoid passes through the harness and also connects to the voltage regulator, passes through the harness again and connects to four or five other places. So what you remove the solenoid, you only want to remove the black wire for the solenoid and not the black wire for everything else. The yellow/red wire connects to the solenoid, the SSM, and the start button. You know you don't need the start button anymore and we know we don't need the solenoid anymore, so go ahead and remove all of the yellow/red wires. By inductive logic, we know we can eliminate all of the yellow/red wire (even though the SSM is connected) because we don't need the other two items connected to it. A single wire is useless for a circuit, and the yellow/red isn't grounded, and so we don't need to connect the SSM to anything else as far as the yellow/red wire is concerned. Take a look at the other wires on the solenoid and see if you can determine their purpose and how much of them you can eliminate. Also, because we've already made changes to the SSM, see if you can determine the purpose of the other wires so that you can make a decision on how to handle the SSM wiring.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline dwysywd

« Reply #134 on: Feb 13, 2019, 16:27:06 »
That should be a pretty simple harness to make. If you wanted to tackle the work, I'd be happy to provide assistance. I could also take care of it for you, if you wanted.

I've attached a wiring diagram to start from, in case you wanted to give it a shot. Before beginning the work, plan out the job. Look over the diagram and find the things you want to remove (start with easier stuff like turn signals and warning lights). Get used to what each color of wire does. If you're not sure, please feel free to ask. You don't want to make changes until you understand the impact it will have.

This is great information. I think I am going to relocate the on/off toggle under the seat so I can lock it, I am eliminating the key. I like the idea of eliminating the starter, and going kick only. The engine is refreshed so it should be pretty easy to run kick start only. It would be nice to eliminate the starter. I like the challenge of tracking down these wires. Let me give it a poke and I will upload what I come up with. Thanks again for helping me get started. I am reading the other electrical "pages" you have pinned. I think this is a great education for anyone wanting to become more than just an assembler of parts and transcend into builder mode. Just like with my laced wheels, I had to jump in and tackle it on my own. So I appreciate the head start.
Regards,
J