Breathing life into a 72 Cb 350, and riding across the country to make a film.

rara

Hey I've been lurking around here for a while, and been working on cb 350 basket case for coming up on a year now in my spare time and I'm about to make a jump to make it my most of the time gig for a little while. My background is mostly in the animated TV and feature film industry, until I finished up my last show a couple of months ago and decided to see if I could make a film about rebuilding this bike then riding it from Atlanta (my home town) to Alaska and back. So that's what I'm doing, and while it's a little scary on a lot of levels, it's a ton of fun. So far I've had new rails welded onto the frame, cut all the brackets off, rebuilt the engine, learned to lace spokes in my wheels, put my brakes together, mocked up the clip ons, and started playing with color schemes. I'll be running a kickstarter soon to try and get the money to be able to film the rest of the build and the following trip. I'm not on here advertising but if any one is interested in any of this feel free to get in touch with me. I'm looking to be on the road with the bike the first day of spring 2014 and headed north. Here's some pics of where the project is at right now. Any places to suggest to check out along the way. Maybe I'll see some of you along the way.

Attachments

• 312392_10100401059535667_1753190633_n.jpg
    312392_10100401059535667_1753190633_n.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 601
  • honda_render_v01.jpg
    honda_render_v01.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 283
  • 1013231_10100401059904927_1349138881_n.jpg
    1013231_10100401059904927_1349138881_n.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Screen shot 2013-08-13 at 12.58.46 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-13 at 12.58.46 AM.png
    583.1 KB · Views: 673
Signed up - sounds like fun.

While I do hope everything gets documented here, be sure to check out ADVRider as well. The information you can collect there pertaining to traveling on a cycle is mind numbing.

Hi Rara. Sounds like a great project. I'm a motion graphics, animator, After Effects, compositor, programmer guy. If you have any need for that kind of stuff down the road hit me up.

Wow, so awesome,

If this is close to your planned route. You will be within 25 miles of my house.
You will be welcome to stop here w my wife, daughter, Jack Russell and I.
Good food, hot shower,cold drinks, take a pee, bed and tools. Though I have no doubts. You will be traveling well equipped.

ScreenShot2013-08-13at55928AM_zpsb2b01250.png

Hey Guys! I thought I'd post a map of my loosely planned route. This is in no way final, and I'm still developing this whole thing. The outcome of the kickstarter will be dictating portions of my routes to give rewards to backers, so I don't know what kind of curve balls that's going to throw my way, but I thought I'd share a picture of the rough idea I have so far about where I'm hoping to go. Which in short is pretty much everywhere I can. It's not a B-line or race to the great white North; more like a meandering tour of small towns, big cities, and dirt roads in between.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-13 at 1.09.29 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-13 at 1.09.29 PM.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 260
This sounds killer, good luck.

If you're entertaining suggestions, you might want to consider bringing another set of bars with you -- long hours hunched over clip-ons can make for serious back issues. Drag bars or low-rise bars might take away some of the strain. And bring a seat cushion.

Getting on board for this one, looks like it'll be a helluva good time. You ought to post up the link for the kickstarter, I'm sure there will be interested parties on here!

^^^ Really good advice on the bars too. Clip ons will SUCK for that long of a ride. Even drag bars won't be much better. Might look into low-rise/superbike/euro bars.

Nice, Signing up to watch, Rich is right about ADV there is a ton of touring knowledge on that board. Also there is a deal called tent space on there where you can pitch a tent in the yard or grab a couch, spare bed etc from fellow touring biker folks.

I'll probably take a spare set of tires too along with the bars. I'll be doing some long distance runs from Atlanta to the Florida Keys during the winter to work out any kinks with the bike. I'm editing and still shooting footage for the kickstarter pitch video, but I will be sure to link to it here for any one interested. The kickstarter wont be live until September 16, so plenty of time to get all my ducks in a row so to speak. I'm thinking about making some patches as a reward for backers, does anyone have any feed back or input on that idea?

There are a few folks on here that can get patches made from a design, Tim (Site Creater) could tell you who he uses to get DTT patches done I am sure.

here are a few folks on here that can get patches made from a design, Tim (Site Creater) could tell you who he uses to get DTT patches done I am sure.

Thanks! I'm curious if patches are the kind of thing people might want. I'm doing other rewards too, but I thought patches might be a good idea, but wanted to see if there was actually interest in patches from other people.

Patches are cool, most bike people like em, also people make stickers and give those out on long tours. There are a couple of riders on ADV that have traveled the world on 2 wheels and they give stickers to people they meet and people really like them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5B176A9B90443110

Just in case you were wondering what kind of things can happen on this kind of trip. I think it sounds like a great idea.

Maritime said:
Patches are cool, most bike people like em, also people make stickers and give those out on long tours. There are a couple of riders on ADV that have traveled the world on 2 wheels and they give stickers to people they meet and people really like them.

Stickers are already on the list!

pr design said:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5B176A9B90443110

Just in case you were wondering what kind of things can happen on this kind of trip. I think it sounds like a great idea.

Awesome! Will give it a watch!

If anyone wants to know more about me, this project, or my other work feel free to check out my website http://aurorah.net/

Looks like you're going through AZ -- you should go by Bob's salvage yard (not Bob's the Harley guy). Biggest yard in the US and they stock tons of new stuff for old bikes (tune up kits, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom