www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Correct way to de-tab?  (Read 9775 times)

Offline dewy

Correct way to de-tab?
« on: Oct 02, 2013, 02:36:03 »
Just doing some research before I destroy the frame on my project CB750. I've seen in a few online videos and the like (Cafe Racer's episode of DCC most notable) that some kind of blow torch was used to detab some bike frames.

I'm going to have a number of tabs and centre stand to remove from my bike. And I'm not wondering if this is the preferred method by these workshops for any reason in particular. I've only got a Grinder available in my own workshop, are there any downsides to using this?

Offline DesmoBro

• Busted Nut
Re: Correct way to de-tab?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2013, 03:49:10 »
Grinder is my favorite tool it will work great, you can cut/sand/smooth with it you can probably do even more with it if you get creative...Just don't cut off the tabs you may want to use again....Example your fingers....always use gloves and no neck ties / unzipped sweaters/shit that dangles while using the Grinder
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2013, 03:51:59 by DesmoBro »
"I desire the things that will destroy me in the end"

Offline dewy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2013, 04:17:26 »
Example your fingers
Probably a good idea.

no neck ties [...] while using the Grinder
Well so much for living tweed and riding dapper...

But in all seriousness I appreciate the reply and I am gradually developing a skill with the grinder while converting my fear of the grinder into a respect of one. Eye and Hand Protection are always important, I've grown to prefer my cordless grinder as it's one less hazard (no cord).

Offline cinqmars2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2013, 06:24:57 »
You'll actually find contrasting theories about hand protection, although gloves will stop shards of metal from sinking into your skin, they do pose a threat of getting dragged in to the grinder, always use well-fitting gloves with nothing loose on them.

In terms of cutting tabs, the best way I've found is to find a thin cutting disc, 1mm will be sufficient:

http://www.weldequip.com/products/1mm-cutting-disc-115mm-large.jpg

Then use a flap wheel disc to smooth it out, they take a while to get through metal so you've got loads of room to get it smooth.

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/i/4162z.jpg

I find a grinding disc can leave an uneven finish as it just chews through everything it touches, but it all depends on how sober you are when you're using it though I guess.

That blowtorch you mentioned, I haven't seen the show but I'm presuming it would be a plasma cutter.

Good luck slicing your frame  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2013, 07:03:15 by cinqmars2 »

Offline dewy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2013, 09:00:16 »
You'll actually find contrasting theories about hand protection, although gloves will stop shards of metal from sinking into your skin, they do pose a threat of getting dragged in to the grinder, always use well-fitting gloves with nothing loose on them.

In terms of cutting tabs, the best way I've found is to find a thin cutting disc, 1mm will be sufficient:

http://www.weldequip.com/products/1mm-cutting-disc-115mm-large.jpg

Then use a flap wheel disc to smooth it out, they take a while to get through metal so you've got loads of room to get it smooth.

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/i/4162z.jpg

I find a grinding disc can leave an uneven finish as it just chews through everything it touches, but it all depends on how sober you are when you're using it though I guess.

That blowtorch you mentioned, I haven't seen the show but I'm presuming it would be a plasma cutter.

Good luck slicing your frame  ;)

Pretty much the way I was looking at doing it, just starting to search around for a cheaper way of purchasing the flap discs as they are around $15-20 each for a 110/115mm size one at local hardware stores :O

Offline cinqmars2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2013, 09:11:09 »
Yeah they aint cheap but they last longer than you'd think.

Offline mark13018

• "In the age of information, ignorance is a choice
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2013, 09:18:04 »
as stated above. Safety first... Tools of choice: grinder with thin cutting disk to remove the large part of the tab making sure to preserve the tube portion of the frame then sanding disc or flap wheel. I'd does last for awhile AND do take it slow. Just because its technically a "sanding" disc, it will still chew that tube frame pretty easily... Wouldn't want to bust out the welder because you took off to much metal. ;)
need wire for your custom build? Click here!

1971 CL450 cafe "Project Amelia" 
1979 Kawasaki KZ650 "Blue Bessie"
1982 Kawasaki KZ305 CSR belt "Project X"
1995 Honda Magna Deluxe
1987 Honda Super Magna - sold :-(
2006 Honda CBR600RR
1964 CB77 superhawk
1965 CL72 scrambler
2013 honda metropolitan

Offline ILoveThumpers

• Everywhere is thumpers!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2013, 09:31:24 »
Flap wheels may be the greatest invention ever. I discovered them while working on a stainless steel part at work and couldn't keep it from blueing when it got hot. The answer was the flap wheel... fantastic control, reduced heat, great finish.

-Deek
There are only two types of riders: those who have dropped their bikes and those who will. Be prepared.

1980 Suzuki GN400. Stock... for now
1975 Honda GL1000. Reassembly has begun!

Offline hillsy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2013, 10:50:02 »
Gloves getting dragged into an angle grinder? Must be pretty thin (IE: shitty) gloves.

I use welding gloves when I grind - also use a welding helmet to protect my eyes (I wear glasses).

Cutting disc to get the tab off, then flap disc to take the stub down to the frame tube.

Offline Slantyface

« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2013, 13:39:16 »
+1 to this thread. I was looking at de-tabbing this winter and was wondering how. Lots of good info, including the flappy sanding disk.