www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread  (Read 82342 times)

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread
« on: Oct 16, 2013, 15:55:25 »
Hi all,

Been lurking on here for long enough, so thought I'd start a build thread on my café project. I was half way through another project (a Guzzi café) and started to think about what to do the next. By chance I got talking to a chap who was selling a chopped Ironhead XL1000 Harley for the widow of a friend who'd died awhile ago, since when the bike had stood unused. It was cheap and came with a rebuilt engine and a £3000 of receipts for the work. I went to see it and bought it.

I then got a tour of the small workshop where the chap repaired old frames and made new replicas of Norton frames. I was impressed with their work, and once the bike was home, I decided to order one of their frames, which had to be made for me as the old Ironhead motors have slightly different mounts to the modern Evo Sportsters. I also ordered an oil tank and slim line petrol tank.

A few weeks passed while I waited for my frame, in the meantime I stripped the old Ironhead down and did a little tidying up on the engine cases..

The only thing I'll keep from the doner bike is the engine..

Polishing the primary cover by hand.. takes a long time..

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2013, 16:00:41 »
Here's a couple of photos I took at the Norley workshop when I went to view the Harley..

Buell based Norley..

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2013, 16:05:15 »
A good day.. my frame arrives  :)

I'm building this on a very small budget, so its going to take awhile, as I want it just right with no short cuts. All I could do for now was to fit a pair of YSS shocks which had been built to my spec at a very good price, cheaper than Hagons..

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2013, 16:08:46 »
Time to see if the engine fits the frame.. Needed an extra pair of hands, those Ironheads are bloody heavy, but it went in ok without too much swearing..

Offline coyote13

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2013, 16:20:56 »
You have my undivided attention.
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2013, 17:15:40 »
Since I had to wait while I saved my pennies for the cool parts I wanted, I got busy doing the tedious work cleaning up the engine..First the generator, took it apart, cleaned, checked and painted, ditto the starter motor, had a peak inside, looks ok thankfully, so just cleaned and painted it..

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2013, 18:20:39 »
Finally I could buy a few engine parts.. new push rod tubes, full gasket set, some electrical parts, including a rectifier which replaces the genny end cover and cleans up the wiring.. and an S&S Super E carb..

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2013, 18:33:22 »
The new carb didn't come with an air filter, as I didn't want to fit the classic S&S teardrop cover. I had a velocity stack left over from an old project, so that went on. Probably wont end up using it, but it will do until I can find or make something better..

Offline Anthiron

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2013, 18:43:49 »
Definitely watching this one!
Nicko

Slow progress is still progress!

1980CB250n Build: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=51428.msg573242#msg573242 SOLD!!

1983 BMW R65LS Build: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=53500.new#new SOLD!!

2004 Harley Sportster Cafe/Custom

1979 Yamaha RX125 Tracker Build
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=62228.0

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2013, 19:02:20 »
I'm condensing about a year in a few minutes on here, I'm up to last summer now, and time to sort out a front end. I sometimes help out at my local bikeshop, which means I can sometimes get a bargain. When I was offered a mint set of forks from a Honda Hornet 900, I couldn't say no, especially as they were free  :)

They didn't come with yokes, and even if they did, it wouldn't fit the Norley frame, which is made to take HD head bearings. At this point I went to see my mate Jeff, he makes one off parts from his small home workshop. He owed me a favour so I came home with a couple of half finished billet yokes Jeff had made in the past, both were drilled to take 43mm forks, same as the Hondas... I wanted something a bit retro in keeping with the café style, so picked the best one..

Next we pressed out a stem from an old pair of yokes I had, and Jeff machined the yokes to take the HD stem..

I bought a pair of cheap clip ons, which didn't look too bad ...