www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread  (Read 82347 times)

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Norton / Harley Ironhead Cafe Project.. Build thread
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2013, 03:32:27 »
I didn't get very far with lacing the front wheel, so on the basis that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, I popped around the corner to see Bill, a chap in his eighties who has been restoring veteran bikes since before I was born. Bill who soon pointed out my beginners error. When I unpacked the spokes, the rear spokes were in two bags. I did check to see if there were any differences but they were the same length and had the same angle of bend. So without further thought I got stuck in. Bill pointed out that I had two different spoke sets, one of which had a slightly longer bend, these should be used when a spoke crosses on top of another at the hub. Mystery solved, he kindly offered to finish the wheel for me and true it up, in the meantime I admired the last of the three 1920s Sunbeams he'd restored, from being piles of rust dug up out of ground of a old scrap yard. Not to mention his Velocette, Vincent Rapide and a couple of specials.. I must remember to take my camera next time I visit.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2013, 03:33:20 »
I did a quick test fit of the seat from Unity Equipe, the two stubs which mount it to the frame didn't quite match up, but I threatened them with a big hammer and eventually the seat went on. It seems a bit too far back, but not sure yet..

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2013, 03:34:31 »
With the wheels built at last, I reused the front disc spacers from the original bike on the new hub, with some machining to fit the EBC discs. The rear disc mounting holes also had to be widened (as HD hubs use bigger bolts on the back than the front) and disc manufacturers don't seem to bother drilling the correct size holes. I needed to find a rear Nissin caliper before I could make a caliper mount and wheel spacers for the back wheel.

Here's a blurry vid I just took of progress to date, you can see there's not much room as I'm working in the conversatory, as the garage is full up with my other bikes.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2013, 03:35:42 »
One of the favourite parts I've bought so far is this toggle for the tank strap, lovely bit of kit. The tank strap has to be sized and a hook pop rivetted onto the strap, but need to make the buckle at the other end yet.

Its almost on its wheels by now, just waiting on the tyres (Avon AM26s). The rear is a 120x18, when I started out on bikes that seemed a huge tyre, now it looks like it belongs on a moped :)

My mad plan for a one off hydraulic clutch conversion are starting to come together, as I swapped an old roll of roofing felt for a mint Brembo clutch slave cylinder :)

..and here it is, a good swap for some old roofing felt I didn't need.. just got to work out a neat way of bolting to the case and extending the clutch pushrod.. sounds easy.. it wasn't ! As you'll see....

Offline Floegstad

• between 8.30 and half past eight works well for me
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2013, 03:49:58 »
Nice work mister!!
I`m deeply inlove with them featherbed frames!
Such a shame they are way 2 expensive to build from scratch.(In Norway)
I am planning to put a BMW gs 800 engine in one,but i have to save some money when the Norwegian goverment wants at least 10.000 usd in taxes for a new build  :'(.
But i am on it in a year or soo i hope!
Keep up the good work mister.

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2013, 04:20:08 »
Thanks, is that 10,000 usd just for a frame?? !! Mine came from Norley, cost approx. £1500, with the petrol and oil tanks, came to a total of £2200. Its a really nice frame, very light, made from T45 tubing .. an updated version of the classic Reynolds 531 tubeset.

Here's a little video I took when I visited their workshop for the first time...  I like the way they have a Vincent engine just lying about on the floor..

Offline Floegstad

• between 8.30 and half past eight works well for me
« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2013, 06:03:09 »
No its just fee to the goverment to have a licence on it, i have the frame and the engine laying in my fathers workshop,i can build it and use it as a trackbike without anymore costs,but i want it streetlegal and thats bloody expensive for sure. And i have to register as a new (2013)bike  :'( :'(
Nice vid.

Offline ProSimex

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • RUN SCREAMING!!!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2013, 10:53:26 »
oh man, I love me some Ironheads.  I was sorely tempted to go this route with my 900, but went chopper instead.  Next time...
"Love is the feelin you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."

"That's got CV's? Take a #2 phillips screwdriver, heat the tip with a torch until cherry red and plunge it into your eye. It will hurt less. Really."- Kopcicle

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2013, 12:59:01 »

... i have to save some money when the Norwegian goverment wants at least 10.000 usd in taxes for a new build  :'( .

No its just fee to the goverment to have a licence on it,

You mean it costs 59,338.28 NOK to title a bike with a built from scratch frame?!?  ???
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline RustyOlive

• http://rustyolive.com/
« Reply #29 on: Oct 17, 2013, 14:49:08 »
Wow! Stunning build!
Following for sure.